• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
7 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

A friend of mine works for a UK company that manufacture contactless payment devices. One of the biggest.

The majority of them only got 2% last April and have been told to expect the same again in 2023…

Ouch. 

So increased operating costs being absorbed by the staff? Sounds a bit harsh.  Or are exec remuneration & dividends being similarly cut in real terms?

In other words, a firm in difficulty, or one run by nasty b*stards?

If the latter, people will leave & it will mainly be pivotal ones the bosses want to keep.

HOLA443
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Had nothing yet, work for an outsourcing it company, client who we support has given their in-house staff 2 x 6.5% increase plus’s 2 k hardship payments over last 6 months to all staff and our seniors wonder why we loosing people to do any role for them not it related !! They keep saying but pay rises and discussed in feb be too late then and bet we get offered 3% Im classed as a flight risk with my skill set so let’s see if that makes any difference 

HOLA448
HOLA449
On 04/01/2023 at 23:23, Pmax2020 said:

A friend of mine works for a UK company that manufacture contactless payment devices. One of the biggest.

The majority of them only got 2% last April and have been told to expect the same again in 2023…

Ouch. 

I know someone who has had 0% three years running.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

0% since Jan 2021, when I got 7%. It’s actually much worse, because we have equity heavy comp that means we are looking at a 9% *nominal cut*. 

I spent the next 23 months from then until last month being an utter f**king mug, being one of the few who stayed in the office throughout the lockdown period etc, going well above and beyond bailing out others ineptness, only to see new hires on inflated salaries, continued inefficient working practices no matter how much I tried to inspire better, seeing continued largesse right now in a completely changed world where cheap money is no long a bail out for ‘growth by any possible means, f**k profitability’ is just too much to handle. 

I of course work in the tech sector.

So now working on my own projects in my own time rather than theirs as i was previously stupid enough to do outside the office. In addition, a little homing from work and indulging in “act my wage” / “inflation adjusted effort” until this gets addressed. It probably won’t, so investing in myself is the best way to retain my sanity. 

I’m responding to recruiters too, in a serious manner for the first time in ages. 

Many parts of the tech sector simply do not deserve good employees. Some still have  ‘leaders’ on grotesque compensation who can’t even say “mea culpa” to the idea that their growth was fuelled by playing the zirp game. If they did - and said “we had to otherwise we’d never have got to an inflated stock price, even if it did collapse after” they would have my respect. They are going to get a tough lesson if they don’t change, but I guess those executives  don’t give a sh1t as they have yachts and planes and I don’t 😂 

At least Zuck admitted as much, which is why I bought Meta stock after he said so. That and because at least that bloody company is actually profitable. 

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 13/01/2023 at 21:35, Frugal Git said:

0% since Jan 2021, when I got 7%. It’s actually much worse, because we have equity heavy comp that means we are looking at a 9% *nominal cut*. 

I spent the next 23 months from then until last month being an utter f**king mug, being one of the few who stayed in the office throughout the lockdown period etc, going well above and beyond bailing out others ineptness, only to see new hires on inflated salaries, continued inefficient working practices no matter how much I tried to inspire better, seeing continued largesse right now in a completely changed world where cheap money is no long a bail out for ‘growth by any possible means, f**k profitability’ is just too much to handle. 

So now working on my own projects in my own time rather than theirs as i was previously stupid enough to do outside the office. In addition, a little homing from work and indulging in “act my wage” / “inflation adjusted effort” until this gets addressed. It probably won’t, so investing in myself is the best way to retain my sanity. 

That's the spirit! Well done for catching on, give us some pie not the crumbs!

HOLA4415
On 13/01/2023 at 20:20, fellow said:

I know someone who has had 0% three years running.

i worked for a large UK bank for 10 years starting around the financial crisis in 2008. 

The first year i got a decent increase, maybe 2.5%. but over the following 9 years i had 3 pay increases  0.25%, 0.5% and 0.75%.

Most years the line was "the public just wont stand to see bankers get pay rises in the current climate", a couple of years it was "this year the pay increase fund has been used solely to give our lower paid workers a "living wage" increase".

They did sometimes pay a bonus in lieu of a payrise, but obviously bonuses are for one year only, and in my case they were small amounts of usually around a grand.

i've only ever seen significant payrises when moving job (last time it was just over 50%).

HOLA4416

UK wages jump but fail to keep pace with inflation

Average pay in the three months to November was 6.4 per cent higher than a year earlier, both including and excluding bonuses, the Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday. But private sector wage growth was much stronger than wage growth in the public sector — 7.2 per cent compared to 3.3 per cent — a gap that will fuel the bitter stand-off between the government and striking public sector workers.

HOLA4417
On 1/13/2023 at 9:35 PM, Frugal Git said:

I’m responding to recruiters too, in a serious manner for the first time in ages. 

Many parts of the tech sector simply do not deserve good employees. Some still have  ‘leaders’ on grotesque compensation who can’t even say “mea culpa” to the idea that their growth was fuelled by playing the zirp game. If they did - and said “we had to otherwise we’d never have got to an inflated stock price, even if it did collapse after” they would have my respect. They are going to get a tough lesson if they don’t change, but I guess those executives  don’t give a sh1t as they have yachts and planes and I don’t 😂 

At least Zuck admitted as much, which is why I bought Meta stock after he said so. That and because at least that bloody company is actually profitable. 

I did exactly the same. After nearly 12 years at my last company and then upon realisation I’d been taken for a ride, enough was enough. Similar circumstances - tech industry, minimal or even no annual raise (although bonuses were good), in the office keeping the ship sailing during lockdowns when everyone else had their feet up at home, dinosaur attitude etc etc.

Had it out with them. Gave them facts and figures, illustrating actual salary decline in real terms. They counter argued that bonuses were good etc etc. I repeated their own assertions that bonuses were not guaranteed and that mine were indicative of excellent performance which they couldn’t argue with. Neither could they hold up to any kind of scrutiny that because of non-guaranteed bonuses could they expect that no annual inflationary salary increase was justified. I compared others’ salary increases to my lack of base increases and they eventually conceded that I should have a raise.

They gave me a raise that put me on what I should have been on if I had got the same inflationary increase as the general masses in the company, eg 0.25% one year, 0.5% the next year, 0.25% the year after etc etc. They did absolutely nothing to address the shortfall in lost earnings in the previous 6 years without a single inflationary rise.

They failed to give inflationary increases because they thought the bonuses would keep people sweet. They failed to address the situation when rumbled because they thought they could just continue to get away with it. Companies with this attitude making massive profits based on small staff numbers will need to wake up and evolve, or become extinct.

Five months later, I had left, to a much larger international firm with a bulging order book and an entirely different attitude (flexible working, better benefits by a long way, significantly higher salary, bonus system etc).

During my notice period, I was heavily involved with recruiting my replacement, which I thought was comical. Not much in the way of candidates, but of those that did apply and got past the CV in the bin stage (about 3 people) it soon became apparent that there was no way they were going fill the void in skill set and experience that was about to leave a massive hole in their work streams by employing one person to replace me.

It ended up with them having to look for three people to fill the void. Only one has been recruited so far (8 months in - I still keep in touch with some people there). They had two other good candidates to fill other parts of my role with the necessary skills - one turned it down citing lack of flexible working practices (the CEO is 78 years old and is an old school dinosaur that thinks if you’re not sat at a desk 9-5 you’re not working - my argument was always that if this were true, the company would have folded during covid, but they glossed over that..). The other laughed at them when they offered less money than he was already on (which was a little more than my revised/elevated salary when I left).

All in all it’ll probably end up costing them twice what it cost to have me on side, even after the rises I was looking for. So feck ‘em. They got what they deserved.

Edited by Sackboii

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Sackboii said:

They gave me a raise that put me on what I should have been on if I had got the same inflationary increase as the general masses in the company, eg 0.25% one year, 0.5% the next year, 0.25% the year after etc etc. They did absolutely nothing to address the shortfall in lost earnings in the previous 6 years without a single inflationary rise.

Never ends well/pointless.

Just leave. If they want you back then theyll have to pay 20% + 20% you left for.

It ended up with them having to look for three people to fill the void. Only one has been recruited so far (8 months in - I still keep in touch with some people there). They had two other good candidates to fill other parts of my role with the necessary skills - one turned it down citing lack of flexible working practices (the CEO is 78 years old and is an old school dinosaur that thinks if you’re not sat at a desk 9-5 you’re not working - my argument was always that if this were true, the company would have folded during covid, but they glossed over that..). The other laughed at them when they offered less money than he was already on (which was a little more than my revised/elevated salary when I left).

They are not on top of their attrition. Very few companies are as most have not recruited in over 20y.

The problem with ''looking' is it assumes theres X people with Y skill, hanging around kicking their heels  unemployed.

Employable people are rarely unemployed.

Once you go up the skills requirements -GCSE Maths, A level, Degree, 10y experience then the pool narrows down to nothing.

once you have people doing skilled work, far beyond stocking shelves and answering the phone then the people for the job already work at the company.

From my time dealing with ERP and orgs outsourcing (not just to India) I was never failed to be surprised by how far detached most management were from the actual processes and systems in place.

This goes from basic order and sales processing,. all the way to a core server, where both administrators had left. The process in place only allowed/coped with one leaving. Having the 2nd head admin leave within 1 months of the  1st wasnt in their scenario plan.

Once you move into the wonderful world of software development and its use on a mix of bought in (Oses DBs) and proprietary stuff then you are on your on.

I know some orgs that dread long Xmas break, like weve just had, aor August where people go off for ~2 weeks and a large lot never return.

Leaving is the flip side of being redundant. neither party is really obliged to be of any use during the notice period.

Expecting someone serving their notice period to do any actual work is nuts.. never mind core work.

Most orgs just dont want you on the systems anymore.

Some march you out of the door after handing notice in.

Tahst fine - and makes the manger look like a big swing Wall street dick. However if you rely on a transition plan then it becomes a problem.

And its bigger problem if you have people on their transition plan also leaving - most orgs never lose just a single person.

Management./directors jobs and bonus really needs to be linked to attrition levels.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

4% maximum at my place. 2% for the top earners. Absolute disgrace considering it’s a very profitable business who actually did well during covid while others suffered.

I’m ok as I have a specific pay review pending but feel for my guys who just have to suck it up. Best ones will be off as soon as they find something and I can’t blame them.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

12% isn't too bad. Personally I would want that as a minimum based on the current levels of inflation, where I live in the country and my current salary. When I factor in tax, student loan, NI and pension contributions.. 12% is obviously more like a 6% increase on net pay.

6% on net pay may just about cover the increase on my energy and broadband bills year on year. It certainly won't cover increases on food, water, council tax, travel, fuel and every else. I guess if you are married or live with a partner and you both get 12% pay rises, then that may cover a large chunk of inflation... possibly not your mortgage if your fix is ending!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425