• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Not at my local bp garage sarth london, where diesel 151.9 and petrol 149.9 pricing has been anti-competitive for a couple of weeks now. Someone at the local pub told me if you only top up £50 at a time price increases don't affect you! 😁

HOLA448
26 minutes ago, tep1 said:

Not at my local bp garage sarth london, where diesel 151.9 and petrol 149.9 pricing has been anti-competitive for a couple of weeks now. Someone at the local pub told me if you only top up £50 at a time price increases don't affect you! 😁

Was  he/she a BTL landlord ?

HOLA449
29 minutes ago, tep1 said:

if you drive away without paying on false plates that is true. 

HOLA4410
47 minutes ago, tep1 said:

London peasant.  Those prices are cheaper than our best deal in town, the local Tesco's.  My local Esso is price gouging king, Hit a new ATH last few weeks,  Diesel is at 157.9p ltr. 

Every time i go past it in the Tesla i think "that is cost a lot of less well off people a lot of money", he ho, lets put me foot down , leccy is costing me under 2p a mile, let alone not having the power to raceme, they now cant afford the terrible low MPG cost either. 🤣

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
24 minutes ago, longgone said:

if you drive away without paying on false plates that is true. 

You know the Met police have many operatives to catch the proles these days when it comes to fraud or crime and it doesn't involve an A4 sized questionnaire !

HOLA4413
16 minutes ago, markyh said:

London peasant.  Those prices are cheaper than our best deal in town, the local Tesco's.  My local Esso is price gouging king, Hit a new ATH last few weeks,  Diesel is at 157.9p ltr. 

Every time i go past it in the Tesla i think "that is cost a lot of less well off people a lot of money", he ho, lets put me foot down , leccy is costing me under 2p a mile, let alone not having the power to raceme, they now cant afford the terrible low MPG cost either. 🤣

no you just bought 50k of overpriced fuel upfront. in an ugly jerry can. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
57 minutes ago, markyh said:

Have you gone for a smart meter as well ? 

Just wait till they start billing you more to recharge after they drained your batteries.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/02/10/national-grid-drain-electric-car-batteries-times-peak-demand/

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, markyh said:

I know you have solar panels, but what is the charging loss on your Tesla?

https://www.smart2zero.com/en/up-to-25-energy-loss-when-charging-electric-vehicles-tests-show/

The electric cars’ on-board computers only show the consumption for the drive. At the charging station, the vehicles have to recharge significantly higher amounts of energy because the computers do not take into account the losses in the upstream electrical installation such as the charging station, plugs, cables and on-board chargers as well as batteries. The difference remains invisible to the driver – but he still has to pay for it.

The ADAC examined 15 electric cars for their real consumption at the charging station in comparison to the data in their on-board computer. Together with other inaccuracies of on-board computers, the charging losses add up, in some cases considerably: in the case of the Tesla Model 3 LR, for example, just under 25 % must be added to the on-board computer data, in the Seat Mii electric just under 21 % and in the Jaguar i-Pace a good 17 %. But also the middle class cars Renault ZOE (almost 19 %), Nissan Leaf (17.6 %) and VW e-up (15.6 %) showed significant deviations. Only the KIA e-Niro (9.9 %) remained below the 10 % mark.

Anyhow does your experience back up this article or not?

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, tep1 said:

Reasonable strategy for ultra money savers. I think it is fair to assume the next price change will be a drop so you could save a few quid by resisting going for a full tank. 

Theres also the interest you’ll earn on having a bit more money in you're bank account rather than fuel in your motor…

HOLA4418
38 minutes ago, tep1 said:

Have you gone for a smart meter as well ? 

Just wait till they start billing you more to recharge after they drained your batteries.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/02/10/national-grid-drain-electric-car-batteries-times-peak-demand/

I've been looking into this a bit.  

Transmission and distribution loss is 8%

The charging efficiency is say 90% (very tentative figure), this covers AC to DC conversion etc.

So we've already lost 17%, but then the process has to be reversed to feed power back into the grid.  So the losses occur twice over.

So I am thinking the calculation would be, roughly

0.92 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.92 = 0.69.

In other words, only 69% of the generated electricity is returned, after storage in this way.

Cue the usual suspects.  Please be aware I am willing to be shown wrong on this one.

HOLA4419
50 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

Reasonable strategy for ultra money savers. I think it is fair to assume the next price change will be a drop so you could save a few quid by resisting going for a full tank. 

Theres also the interest you’ll earn on having a bit more money in you're bank account rather than fuel in your motor…

Plus the car will be lighter so a tinsy bit less fuel being used. Although we are now getting into the realms of a Martin Lewis post akin to hanging T bags out to dry to reuse then and get a second cuppa free.   

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
3 hours ago, kzb said:

I know you have solar panels, but what is the charging loss on your Tesla?

https://www.smart2zero.com/en/up-to-25-energy-loss-when-charging-electric-vehicles-tests-show/

The electric cars’ on-board computers only show the consumption for the drive. At the charging station, the vehicles have to recharge significantly higher amounts of energy because the computers do not take into account the losses in the upstream electrical installation such as the charging station, plugs, cables and on-board chargers as well as batteries. The difference remains invisible to the driver – but he still has to pay for it.

The ADAC examined 15 electric cars for their real consumption at the charging station in comparison to the data in their on-board computer. Together with other inaccuracies of on-board computers, the charging losses add up, in some cases considerably: in the case of the Tesla Model 3 LR, for example, just under 25 % must be added to the on-board computer data, in the Seat Mii electric just under 21 % and in the Jaguar i-Pace a good 17 %. But also the middle class cars Renault ZOE (almost 19 %), Nissan Leaf (17.6 %) and VW e-up (15.6 %) showed significant deviations. Only the KIA e-Niro (9.9 %) remained below the 10 % mark.

Anyhow does your experience back up this article or not?

It's about 10%. Nothing to worry about.  Can add up to 28kwh a night at home @ 5p kwh, rising to 7.5p kwh in April , either way it's around 2p mile when the car averages 4m kwh in winter, higher in summer.