How do you stop the migrants crossing the channel

FANG

HOLA441
  • Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

There's always a catch, of course there is.

It's sensible not to judge the big Government announcement until the dust has settled a couple of days later.

After Priti's big pitch on Friday, it emerged over the weekend that while migrants landing in Kent will be given a one-way ticket to Africa, others will be heading in the opposite direction.

Hidden in the small print is a reciprocal arrangement under which Britain will accept an unspecified number of refugees who have been unable or unwilling to settle in Rwanda, despite having been granted asylum.

Daily Mail

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
11 hours ago, byron78 said:

Out of interest, where is all the opium used in an awful lot of Western meds grown?

Anyone know?

About 6 years ago, during July, we were driving through the open country between the New Forest and Salisbury, when we passed two very large fields of white poppies.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Tory MPs reject bid to give parliament say over asylum offshoring

Conservative MPs have voted down a law aimed at forcing the government to put schemes like the Rwanda deal to parliament – and to disclose the costs.

Priti Patel and other ministers have repeatedly refused to give details of the cost of sending asylum seekers to Rwanda, beyond what the home secretary called “an upfront £120m development cost”.

Independent

HOLA448
1 hour ago, rollover said:

Tory MPs reject bid to give parliament say over asylum offshoring

Conservative MPs have voted down a law aimed at forcing the government to put schemes like the Rwanda deal to parliament – and to disclose the costs.

Priti Patel and other ministers have repeatedly refused to give details of the cost of sending asylum seekers to Rwanda, beyond what the home secretary called “an upfront £120m development cost”.

Independent

Democracy!

Sovereignty!

Thank goodness I now have the right to be ruled by a government who refuse to give me even the most basic information about how my taxes are spent!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Rishi Sunak is SAFE but Priti Patel could still go in a summer reshuffle

Rishi Sunak is safe in his job until the autumn but, PM refused to give the Home Secretary the same assurance.

Questions will now remain over whether the Prime Minister will choose to go ahead with a cabinet reshuffle in the summer. 

He did however vow to stay on in No 10 himself despite how many additional fines he gets for breaking Covid laws. Asked on the plane to Gujarat if he will fight the next general election, he replied bluntly: 'Of course, yes.'

Daily Mail

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Just 2% a year are expected to qualify for scheme and to be sent to Rwanda

Boris Johnson's flagship immigrations scheme to send Channel arrivals to Rwanda could see fewer than 200 sent to Africa every year, a new analysis has revealed.

Just two per cent of people who arrive in the UK every year are deemed 'inadmissible' to the asylum system, the criteria that will be used to determine who can be sent to east Africa.

The Refugee Council, using Home Office and Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) also found that new laws criminalising those who cross the busy waterway could see 19,000 people jailed in the UK in four years, at a cost of £835million a year.

Daily Mail

HOLA4415

Priti Patel 'will hire private jets to fly migrants to Rwanda

Priti Patel 'will hire private jets to fly migrants to Rwanda' because airline bosses 'refuse to put on flights in fear of a backlash' from critics.

The Home Secretary was reportedly told that her plan to send migrants to the East African nation for processing could result in protesters targeting the firms involved in the flights.

That would considerably increase the price of the policy which is already understood to cost British taxpayers an initial £120million. 

Daily Mail

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Swedish PM admits that Swedens attempts at integration have failed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/28/swedens-failed-integration-creates-parallel-societies-says-pm-after-riots#_=_

“What we saw were no political protests,” Andersson said of the riots. “Police were attacked with stones and molotov cocktails. It was not a political act, it was a criminal act – an attack on the democracy that many have actually fled to.”

Actually continental papers are reporting that the riots have been continously on-going for 15 days now.

YET sweden would be required by international law to take in another million if they were to get their by boat.

Note we are talking about cultural integration here, nothing to do with race.

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4418
On 19/04/2022 at 09:42, byron78 said:

Out of interest, where is all the opium used in an awful lot of Western meds grown?

Anyone know?

It's not just a recreational drug.

It's literally the basis for most of our cheap and effective pain killers.

The weird thing about drug abuse is that people who are into that sort of thing only seem to bother using the drugs that actually do something for them!

I had a job in Speke, Liverpool packaging heroin into vials, then freeze drying them before sealing. Evans Medical as it was back then.

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I had a job in Speke, Liverpool packaging heroin into vials, then freeze drying them before sealing. Evans Medical as it was back then.

I find it fascinating how hard it is to find out where the legal stuff all comes from and is processed etc (I guess for good reason?!)

Wasn't Liverpool where they trialled GP prescribed heroin for addicts as well? Apparently it was a roaring success (cheaper, less crime etc etc) but the Yanks DID NOT like it...

HOLA4420

I should add, I have a legal cannabis prescription in the UK now!

I would imagine anyone with private health care or who can afford to pay can probably also get it now if they want.

Fell in love with the stuff out in America and it's simply amazing for pension pain relief. I'm aware it may have helped humanise this fossil in old age as well. I have tried it many times over the eons, but now I hurt all the time it is wonderful stuff.

Don't even get high now (tolerance) but it is just so so much better than the heavy opiates they had me on before.

Shouldn't just be legal. Should be bloody mandatory for aches and pains.

This stuff will save lives and the NHS billions. Why are they still locking people up for growing it? (I'd sort of understand if it were being taxed etc, but it's not even that, is it?)

Edited by byron78

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, byron78 said:

I find it fascinating how hard it is to find out where the legal stuff all comes from and is processed etc (I guess for good reason?!)

Wasn't Liverpool where they trialled GP prescribed heroin for addicts as well? Apparently it was a roaring success (cheaper, less crime etc etc) but the Yanks DID NOT like it...

I imagine blaming the Americans for not introducing it is easier than blaming Brits who want more suffering.

Of course, we had to be careful talking about our job. Our local was the Hunts Cross, which is a touch rough (now The Purple Olive restaurant), but it was not much of an issue really. Some people claimed to feel the effect of working round the stuff all day, though I never did myself.

HOLA4422
10 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I imagine blaming the Americans for not introducing it is easier than blaming Brits who want more suffering.

Of course, we had to be careful talking about our job. Our local was the Hunts Cross, which is a touch rough (now The Purple Olive restaurant), but it was not much of an issue really. Some people claimed to feel the effect of working round the stuff all day, though I never did myself.

It was definitely the Americans direct who nuked it, but that's honestly all I know.

Mid-90s. May well have been Blair who canned it.

HOLA4423
3 minutes ago, byron78 said:

It was definitely the Americans direct who nuked it, but that's honestly all I know.

Mid-90s. May well have been Blair who canned it.

Ah, fair enough.

I had a black colleague who pointed out to me that when white familes started to be the main victims, attitudes in the USA suddenly became far more progressive. They might be OK with it now.

HOLA4424

Weather a bit calmer now so the home office will be starting to book some flights to rwanda as 95% of those that arrived yesterday were single men.  Now the assylum bill is law will be interesting to see how quickly the first flight takes off, I imagine BOJO will time it as the Sue Gray report is published so as to deflect headlines on the news to this instead of his 8 fines about to be issued by the MET.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-61298895

HOLA4425