House Price Crash Forum

How do you stop the migrants crossing the channel

It looks like Priti Patel needs needs a few ideas. Giving millions to the French is not resolving the issue.

This year its estimated that over 30,000 migrants could arrive via this route.

How can we afford to keep paying for this.  

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"be tough on them" - politicians love that because it plays well with racist and anti-immigrant voting base. However it doesn't actually work (the problem is still there after decades of being tough). Perhaps the politicians like that as well because it means they can have a continual "tough on immigrants" stance that doesnt work but which plays well - a bit like the "war on drugs".

You could ask, why are they actually making the journey? I dont mean sounding off your opinion about what is wrong with this country, I mean proper peer reviewed statistical analysis of migrants, their origins and destinations, and what motivates them. Then it should be easy to deal with the motivations. WIthout that accurate information about where they come from and what motivates them to come any attempted solution will be pointless.

44 minutes ago, FANG said:

This year its estimated that over 30,000 migrants could arrive via this route.

Estimated by whom, a complete idiot?

They really think 22K more will arrive in the next 6 months? (It's 8K for the first 6 months of 2021).

3 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Estimated by whom, a complete idiot?

They really think 22K more will arrive in the next 6 months? (It's 8K for the first 6 months of 2021).

Evidence for 8K being an accurate figure?

It could be 80K for all the Govt knows.

5 minutes ago, winkie said:

Improve and speed up the processing of the migrants, determine who they are, where they come from and why?........target the traffickers.;)

Nope. That is just playing the game. 

To stop a mouse infestation, the first step is cleaning up all the spilled food. No point catching the mice before you do that.

56 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Aren't we assuming they're claiming asylum?

The stats for that (who arrive by boat) are obviously pretty reliable.

Yes, tens of thousands could disappear into the UK without engaging with our systems of course (no asylum claim, no benefit claims, no tax payer handouts etc)... but wouldn't that be an odd thing to do given dullards and idiots are constantly shouting about how they only come here for the benefits?

Edited by byron78

2 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

How many people traffickers are caught, prosecuted and jailed by the UK?

Is the right area of focus.

I'm ever so bored of the "boo brown people!" focus now.

The onus should absolutely be on going after the people who exploit and encourage illegal immigrants. I'd also go after fossil fuel companies and other big polluters. Climate change will drive millions upwards from the equator this next few decades.

If you actually want to stop, you do a deal with turkey with a swap.. where you send any migrants that land illegally and take a corresponding number from camps in Turkey.

That's the only solution that's been found so far that's actually worked.

3 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Is the right area of focus.

I'm ever so bored of the "boo brown people!" focus now.

The onus should absolutely be on going after the people who exploit and encourage illegal immigrants. I'd also go after fossil fuel companies and other big polluters. Climate change will drive millions upwards from the equator this next few decades.

To be fair I think if the boat people were white foreigners the reaction would be the same. Queue jumping is very frowned upon in the UK.

And we are an island, with an island mentality. And we do have our own culture and long history, which people have every right to want to maintain and protect. 

There needs to be an incentive for locking up traffickers for a long time. How about fast track residency for anyone who shops their trafficker resulting in a conviction?

2 minutes ago, rollover said:

"How do you stop the migrants crossing the channel?"

Why would you want to stop migrants coming to UK, if 100's thousands positions are unoccupied after EU-ers have left.

Good point, racism is the old perspective as we experience worker shortages our standard of living will fall, unless we re start importing workers.

59 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

To be fair I think if the boat people were white foreigners the reaction would be the same. Queue jumping is very frowned upon in the UK.

And we are an island, with an island mentality. And we do have our own culture and long history, which people have every right to want to maintain and protect. 

There needs to be an incentive for locking up traffickers for a long time. How about fast track residency for anyone who shops their trafficker resulting in a conviction?

a history of being invaded

58 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Good point, racism is the old perspective as we experience worker shortages our standard of living will fall, unless we re start importing workers.

Ah, the "need lots of other people to exploit to keep us comfortable" argument.

2 hours ago, Locke said:

Abolish all benefits, which is the sole reason they try to get here.

I'd hazard a guess that many of them come here based on an image fed to them by the traffickers, which won't change even if benefits do. How many of them end up getting what they expected?

1 hour ago, captainb said:

If you actually want to stop, you do a deal with turkey with a swap.. where you send any migrants that land illegally and take a corresponding number from camps in Turkey.

That's the only solution that's been found so far that's actually worked.

Yes we should give the genuine asylum seekers easier legitimate way of requesting that the United Kingdom become their new home, many will choose to settle in other countries, especially if from places where their own homeland has been ruined by our direct or indirect actions......this is a global problem and the problem has to be shared by all desirable safe, law abiding wealthy and compassionate countries that have gained greatly themselves over the years from other people and their lands worldwide.......I get it that many would not agree for different reasons, and that it is someone else's problem not ours......it is all our problem, we can't ignore it, and it won't be going away.;)

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Enslave them basically, to payfor their stay.

I used to wonder what type of person would vote for Priti Patel , are you seriously suggesting enslavement ?

Actually don't answer that ,I don't think I want to know.

1 minute ago, Lucky Larry said:

I used to wonder what type of person would vote for Priti Patel , are you seriously suggesting enslavement ?

Actually don't answer that ,I don't think I want to know.

Are you suggesting we just let them in?

The yare pouring in.

The punishment needs to be raised to discourage them.

Just now, spyguy said:

Are you suggesting we just let them in?

The yare pouring in.

The punishment needs to be raised to discourage them.

Punishment also needs to be proportional to the offence. And for it to be a deterrent those it's directed at need to know it exists. Can't imagine that'll be part of the people traffickers' spiel.

38 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Ah, the "need lots of other people to exploit to keep us comfortable" argument.

Do you ever wonder why the UK is so economically successful in comparison to say a White Christian country like say Poland

3 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Do you ever wonder why the UK is so economically successful in comparison to say a White Christian country like say Poland

Riding on a history of taking over a fair chunk of the world's part of it. Doesn't exactly justify invasions though.

2 hours ago, onlooker said:

Most will be claiming "asylum" obviously some will do a runner and try and live underground. You can bet if they only know a word of English it will be asylum.