House Price Crash Forum

This will end and everyone will go back to the office and sell their newly acquired cottages in Cornwall

HOLA441
1 hour ago, sta100 said:

I've been keeping an eye on that thread and it's quite alarming

F*** me your right

'I'm the wrong person to ask. We've just bought a house 300 miles away from where we live. We've never been in the house, never even visited the road. We get the keys at the end of the month, wish us luck'

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
1 minute ago, GregBowman said:

F*** me your right

'I'm the wrong person to ask. We've just bought a house 300 miles away from where we live. We've never been in the house, never even visited the road. We get the keys at the end of the month, wish us luck'

France?;)

HOLA443
4 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

F*** me your right

FOMO. It's a new paradigm and we will never be able to get a house again because everything is going up and the government won't let it stop.

Incredibly dangerous with no good outcome for anyone.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, Sprrite said:

This is an interesting comment and something I've thought about a lot in the last year.

If indeed people will do 2 or 3 days a week in the office, the commute may be more manageable (as in less people on trains and overcrowding). I lived in zone 3 when I was in London last year and the commute was ok for me - the only time it was really unbearable was the summer months but I think going forward, I won't be doing a lot of commuting during the summer. 

I am currently looking at apartments in Zone 4 & 5 so my commute time may be longer but I'm ok with that as I will be saving time during WFH - (also saving on not having a season ticket...).

Not sure re the distance but agree with the general point if your only going in 2 or 3 days a week - anything up to an hour door to door I have always found pleasant on the way home it serves as a decompress as well. South Herts can be 3-40 minutes on a slow train and you get all the green. I can ride in on a motorbike in about 45 minutes ( I think electric cycles will really change two wheel commuting as well) - I am sure this applies all over the edges of London but you can get from Potters Bar in Herts to Kings Cross in 20 mins. The not having to be there 5 days really does change things 

Edited by GregBowman

HOLA445
1 minute ago, GregBowman said:

Not sure re the distance but agree with the general point if your only going in 2 or 3 days a week - anything up to an hour door to door I have always found pleasant on the way home it serves as a decompress as well. South Herts can be 3-40 minutes on a slow train and you get all the green. I can ride in on a motorbike in about 45 minutes ( I think electric cycles will really change two wheel commuting as well) - I am sure this applies all over the edges of London but you can get from Potters Bar in Herts to Kings Cross in 20 mins. The not having to be there 5 days really does change things 

At the moment people don't have to be there 5 days.

There are two great unknowns right now

1) Will people decide the WFH thing doesn't actually work so well and go back to office life

2) Has winkie ever missed a wink at the end of their post

HOLA446
17 minutes ago, sta100 said:

1) Will people decide the WFH thing doesn't actually work so well and go back to office life

1. Don’t know 2. Been here for ten years plus and I would say never 😉

HOLA447
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

F*** me your right

That's just crazy sentiment. That froth has to come off at some point. Might not be a technical crash.

HOLA448
21 hours ago, GregBowman said:

F*** me your right

And this

Also someone at work has bought some raffle tickets £250k house. Tickets £2.50 per ticket. Apparently they have already raised over £500k in sales so after they pay the raffle company sounds like they will have got more than anticipated.

First time I have heard of a raffle making money

HOLA449
21 hours ago, sta100 said:

At the moment most office employees are still WFH so it hard to tell which works better. When employees start returning, bosses will be able to compare WFH with office working. They could conclude that office working works a lot better than WFH and therefore will encourage or force their workers back to the office on most days. Not saying this will happen though and it could be that it varies by industry.

HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

At the moment most office employees are still WFH so it hard to tell which works better. When employees start returning, bosses will be able to compare WFH with office working. They could conclude that office working works a lot better than WFH and therefore will encourage or force their workers back to the office on most days. Not saying this will happen though and it could be that it varies by industry.

Majority of people WFH aren't doing much of use, which is the irony. The ones who have been on the frontline have taken the hit in this pandemic.

HOLA4411
34 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

....It is not one or the other, home or some awful return sardine touchy squeezy journey, expensive time wasting experience to some office in a 'name the city of your choice' just to meet like minded people, share a few creative thoughts to rinse and repeat daily.......madness, the compromise is a local office hub can take your time, cycle, bus, drive or walk, relax, plenty of space a place to get the most out of people that are less stressed more focused and have more time and control of their lives....thus can see more clearly. ;)

HOLA4412

My work 1 month ago:

"Work from where ever, whenever, be fully flexible, the office is just here as an option!"

After literally no one goes in for the entire month

"3 line whip on line managers being back in the office, make it clear if people aren't in a few days a week they won't progress"

FAANG all bringing people back to the office, writing is on the wall. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 minute ago, Gribble said:

will stick to Croatia, - warmer seas, almost  guarantied weather in Summer and early Autumn, nicer cheaper food, better built houses with concrete floors and substantial cheaper to buy /live there

PS so why stop at Cornwall - and fitter birds in Cro too

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 11/05/2021 at 14:59, sta100 said:

1) For most people it will be decided for them by their employer.

HOLA4421
11 hours ago, Si1 said:

The Treasury may use ticket pricing to discourage working from home from TheEconomist https://www.economist.com/britain/2021/05/08/the-treasury-may-use-ticket-pricing-to-discourage-working-from-home

Heaven forbid workers should start to reclaim some work/life balance!

If the Tories and their financiers had their way all workers would be kept as close to suffering a burnout/nervous breakdown as possible.

HOLA4422
17 hours ago, wighty said:

WFH will uncover those employees that are needed.

By saying that you are saying many jobs are indeed not required......a job for the sake of a job......either the job is required or it is not, or make one job from two old jobs, or one full-time job can easily become a part-time job.....still a job.;)

HOLA4423
15 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

If the Tories and their financiers had their way all workers would be kept as close to suffering a burnout/nervous breakdown as possible.

Our "big corp" that made all the right noises about more flexibility last year while trying to keep us all motivated has changed the message. Now it's all about "dynamic collaboration in person", "we can't wait to see you all".

Oh well, time to get the CV updated and look around. I will not be returning back to an office full time, they can pick from a smaller pool of talent.

I wish everyone who wants to return to the office well, but some of us are not fortunate enough to have family money, or already own a house from years back close to the office, etc. I value my family and health more than a commute because some busy bodies need to see bums in seats.

HOLA4424
11 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

1) For most people it will be decided for them by their employer.

They can decide all they want but they can't control all our actions. I'm getting ready to say goodbye to mine. I'll start looking for a new role.

HOLA4425
21 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

You'd think, in the long run, if part wfh is more efficient then it's good for the economy.