House Price Crash Forum

This will end and everyone will go back to the office and sell their newly acquired cottages in Cornwall

21 minutes ago, wighty said:

Looks like my SUN newspaper £40 summer holiday break is out of the window for a while then.

loads of stuff on air bandb at usual prices in well known areas of cornwall in July (just checked).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, wighty said:

Depending on the job and commute time, office is far better than home working.

Close personal Interaction is a vital part of working.

I sorta agree but I guess it depends on experience of people on team/unit/dept 

I found that there are less ******** meetings and less distractions due to random gossiping at water coolers. However zoom meetings are somewhat more tiring 

biggest thing I miss is whiteboards, standing up and drawing brain dumps and bouncing ideas really helps

3 minutes ago, yelims said:

I sorta agree but I guess it depends on experience of people on team/unit/dept 

I found that there are less ******** meetings and less distractions due to random gossiping at water coolers. However zoom meetings are somewhat more tiring 

biggest thing I miss is whiteboards, standing up and drawing brain dumps and bouncing ideas really helps

Can you make friends with colleagues over the internet?

15 hours ago, 17clarence said:

Was taking to my colleagues about this today. We're all in IT, all been working from home since last March.

Last week, on the back of 3 massive IT/Business projects being delayed in the previous couple of months, they started buttering us up to come to the office. Video's starring the managers saying the office is where bonds are formed and social interactions occur, looking forward to the coffee machine chats, etc, etc. The final outcome looks like 2 days from home, 3 days in the office. If you're on the projects, could be 4 days office, as before.

To be fair, we are all sick of working from home anyway. Very overrated.

Made me laugh I am a project director and sometime interim CIO - having the classic WTF is going on speech is very difficult when its been recorded.....

Home working for intense deadline driven stuff is very overrated 

15 hours ago, 17clarence said:

If you're in London and nowhere near zone 2, then you'll soon be hating the commute again.

I'd like to go back to the office maximum two days per week and even then have some flexibility to lower it when I want to. If I could cycle or walk to the office within 30 minutes, I'd go in 3-4 days per week, but I couldn't afford a decent house inside that radius, so I moved further out.

11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Yes, sorry. Executive luxury lodge with hot tub ( outside bath ).

Until very recently Cornwall Council would provide grants to renovate houses, including the provision of an indoor bathroom.

31 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Made me laugh I am a project director and sometime interim CIO - having the classic WTF is going on speech is very difficult when its been recorded.....

Home working for intense deadline driven stuff is very overrated 

It's that old joke...how many people work in your office...about half of them.

Working from home is a boon for the lazy feckless skivers who spend all day posting on web forums and the like.

Embarassed (@Embarrass_Me) | Twitter

1 hour ago, wighty said:

Depending on the job and commute time, office is far better than home working.

Close personal Interaction is a vital part of working.

Depends on how close - could get you HR on the phone.

Personally I work better at home.

32 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

It's that old joke...how many people work in your office...about half of them.

Working from home is a boon for the lazy feckless skivers who spend all day posting on web forums and the like.

Embarassed (@Embarrass_Me) | Twitter

That did make me laugh - I am also in creative media and was on a zoom call talking about a film for the middle east with a lot of earnest young creatives. You learn that a few well chosen words are taken very seriously - I would say too seriously like I actually thought about  it 

Edited by GregBowman
6 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

That did make me laugh - I am also in creative media and was on a zoom call talking about a film for the middle east with a lot of earnest young creatives. You learn that a few well chosen words are taken very seriously - I would say too seriously like I actually thought about  it 

Next time, be sure to mention...debt/house price bubbles, rising interest rates and the 1990s house price collapse 😉 

1 hour ago, wighty said:

Can you make friends with colleagues over the internet?

Does such a thing really exist? When it comes down to it there are plenty of events that can affect the workplace that will let you see who you 'friends' really aren't.

2 hours ago, 17clarence said:

Come on now, in modern parlez, it's a luxury lodge.

Doesn't look luxury, I thought a hot tub was a bath.....luxury for those without a bath.

Anyone booked their flight to foreign climes yet?;)

People are currently operating out of fear,  stuck indoors for a year, little to no social contact, sick of being cooped up.

The pendulum may swing back once life starts to get back to normal.

When faced with a load of repair bills in an area you don't really like and you're fed up of country walks, a large garden you don't have time or money to maintain, and cowboy tradesman in and out of your life, the reality of your new purchase might well be different.

1 minute ago, sta100 said:

People are currently operating out of fear,  stuck indoors for a year, little to no social contact, sick of being cooped up.

The pendulum may swing back once life starts to get back to normal.

When faced with a load of repair bills in an area you don't really like and you're fed up of country walks, a large garden you don't have time or money to maintain, and cowboy tradesman in and out of your life, the reality of your new purchase might well be different.

The trick is don't buy in a place you don't like or buy a place you don't like.;)

Also things only need to go down about 5% to trigger panic as so many people are dependent on continual HPI.

People talk about affordabiity and low interest rates, but they haven't factored in that they have to pay back off mortgage at some point which is... quite large.

1 minute ago, winkie said:

The trick is don't buy in a place you don't like or buy a place you don't like.;)

You can't really tell till you've moved in.

Over time things change, and people don't like the place or the house.

9 minutes ago, winkie said:

exhibit a:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/4233026-feeling-totally-overwhelmed-by-the-market?pg=7

I'm the wrong person to ask. We've just bought a house 300 miles away from where we live. We've never been in the house, never even visited the road. We get the keys at the end of the month, wish us luck grin

Edited by hurlerontheditch
1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

If you're in London and nowhere near zone 2, then you'll soon be hating the commute again.

I'd like to go back to the office maximum two days per week and even then have some flexibility to lower it when I want to. If I could cycle or walk to the office within 30 minutes, I'd go in 3-4 days per week, but I couldn't afford a decent house inside that radius, so I moved further out.

This is an interesting comment and something I've thought about a lot in the last year.

If indeed people will do 2 or 3 days a week in the office, the commute may be more manageable (as in less people on trains and overcrowding). I lived in zone 3 when I was in London last year and the commute was ok for me - the only time it was really unbearable was the summer months but I think going forward, I won't be doing a lot of commuting during the summer. 

I am currently looking at apartments in Zone 4 & 5 so my commute time may be longer but I'm ok with that as I will be saving time during WFH - (also saving on not having a season ticket...).

17 hours ago, 17clarence said:

Was taking to my colleagues about this today. We're all in IT, all been working from home since last March.

Last week, on the back of 3 massive IT/Business projects being delayed in the previous couple of months, they started buttering us up to come to the office. Video's starring the managers saying the office is where bonds are formed and social interactions occur, looking forward to the coffee machine chats, etc, etc. The final outcome looks like 2 days from home, 3 days in the office. If you're on the projects, could be 4 days office, as before.

Yeah, the ability to do it for a couple of days a week would be handy but definitely would like to be back in the office.   (However, I am really saving tons of extra money by being home...  Will have to constrain my spending.)

Aside from that, if the economy crashes (which I think it will after a short boom) people will be happy to just have an income and will just have to come into the office if their employer demands it.

1 hour ago, sta100 said:

You can't really tell till you've moved in.

Over time things change, and people don't like the place or the house.

1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

That's true or building happens all around. 

Things do change, people change, homes that once suited become unsuitable..... buildings happening all around is a kind of trade off, would not be building all around unless they thought money was to be made from it, others would want to live there or buy there....must mean therefore there is a demand to live there.......those that buy would not miss the old view, only those living there who's view has changed.🤒