House Price Crash Forum

This will end and everyone will go back to the office and sell their newly acquired cottages in Cornwall

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Si1 said:

Just sayin

Who to? Basil Brush? The amount people pay for those cottages make them very poor investments... locals can't afford them... during a downturn, Londoners can't either. The ultimate froth properties... that said, when I was a kid in Ireland we holidayed in one (my parents weren't schooled in the ethics of staying in holiday cottages - ahem) - and have to say I loved Cornwall.

Edited by gruffydd

I think many of the newly aquired cottages will be run as businesses, thus being eligible for business rates and not paying the higher rates for second homes.

Certainly some of prices paid recently in central Cornwall are eye-watering, but ATM everything is crazy.

But the airlink from Newquay to London is down, and no-one has bid to run it, and on the good days when the train runs, it's four and a half hours to London.

There is likely to be a crash where fantasy meets reality.

Fantasy of a holiday home or living in Cornwall vs reality of life in a poor rural area with very limited services and travel connections and the endless wet of a Cornish winter, although not this year.

1 hour ago, gruffydd said:

Who to? Basil Brush? The amount people pay for those cottages make them very poor investments... locals can't afford them... during a downturn, Londoners can't either. The ultimate froth properties... that said, when I was a kid in Ireland we holidayed in one (my parents weren't schooled in the ethics of staying in holiday cottages - ahem). 

Dude ;)

Was taking to my colleagues about this today. We're all in IT, all been working from home since last March.

Last week, on the back of 3 massive IT/Business projects being delayed in the previous couple of months, they started buttering us up to come to the office. Video's starring the managers saying the office is where bonds are formed and social interactions occur, looking forward to the coffee machine chats, etc, etc. The final outcome looks like 2 days from home, 3 days in the office. If you're on the projects, could be 4 days office, as before.

To be fair, we are all sick of working from home anyway. Very overrated.

2 hours ago, skinnylattej said:

I think many of the newly aquired cottages will be run as businesses, thus being eligible for business rates and not paying the higher rates for second homes.

Certainly some of prices paid recently in central Cornwall are eye-watering, but ATM everything is crazy.

But the airlink from Newquay to London is down, and no-one has bid to run it, and on the good days when the train runs, it's four and a half hours to London.

Fantasy of a holiday home or living in Cornwall vs reality of life in a poor rural area with very limited services and travel connections and the endless wet of a Cornish winter, although not this year.

There is a sleeper train. not my cup of tea. 

3 hours ago, gruffydd said:

Who to? Basil Brush? The amount people pay for those cottages make them very poor investments... locals can't afford them... during a downturn, Londoners can't either. The ultimate froth properties... that said, when I was a kid in Ireland we holidayed in one (my parents weren't schooled in the ethics of staying in holiday cottages - ahem) - and have to say I loved Cornwall.

In the run up the early 90s recession, a *lot* of people bought 2nd homes.

Banks went overboard to lend to them. Cant lose...

With the higher rates and collapsing employment the borrower and banks took a painful bath on 2nd homes.

This is the reason why few banks will lend for FHL - the memory- and losses- are too painful.

Up like a rocket; down like  stick.

3 hours ago, skinnylattej said:

I've been to Cornwall. Once, from the NE.

Fk, it was slow. Over 8h long slow hours of driving.

Never again.

10 hours ago, spyguy said:

I've been to Cornwall. Once, from the NE.

Fk, it was slow. Over 8h long slow hours of driving.

Never again.

Yes its a long way, took me 11 hours from Berwick upon Tweed to home in central Cornwall.

Used to be able to fly from Newquay to Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow.  All stopped when Fly-Be went bust.

2 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

Yes its a long way, took me 11 hours from Berwick upon Tweed to home in central Cornwall.

Used to be able to fly from Newquay to Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow.  All stopped when Fly-Be went bust.

Slow and expensive.

Its cheaper - and quicker - for anyone North/West of London/Bham to go to Spain.

I mean, it was nice. Just not that nice. And you get very little bang for your buck.

And, yes, Cwall is warmer than the rest of he UK. But not as warm as Barca.

28 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Slow and expensive.

Its cheaper - and quicker - for anyone North/West of London/Bham to go to Spain.

I mean, it was nice. Just not that nice. And you get very little bang for your buck.

And, yes, Cwall is warmer than the rest of he UK. But not as warm as Barca.

The best way to remind yourself why you haven't holidayed in England for years is to have a holiday in England. Expensive, unreliable weather, surroundings and food too similar to home to get the feeling you've actually been away somewhere.

46 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The best way to remind yourself why you haven't holidayed in England for years is to have a holiday in England. Expensive, unreliable weather, surroundings and food too similar to home to get the feeling you've actually been away somewhere.

Trash everywhere. Bad customer service. Expensive food and drink. 

15 hours ago, Si1 said:

Just sayin

It'll happen.

All those london land owners/businesses/transport networks will be lobbying their tory mates to get people back travellling into cities.

After working from home since Jan 2020 I'd be more than happy to do so.  

Works not just about "making stuff" ( or fleecing people if you are a **** EA ) it's a social thing, it's about society, it's about meaning.

People will eventually be forced back into offices either by policies or through desire.

There's a few people saying...I'll go back 2/3 days a week now, but when the office based staff are 2x more productive then these people will be seen as a drag and forced back or let go.

I brings me back to the....it's all too good to be true thread.

7 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

It'll happen.

All those london land owners/businesses/transport networks will be lobbying their tory mates to get people back travellling into cities.

After working from home since Jan 2020 I'd be more than happy to do so.  

Works not just about "making stuff" ( or fleecing people if you are a **** EA ) it's a social thing, it's about society, it's about meaning.

People will eventually be forced back into offices either by policies or through desire.

There's a few people saying...I'll go back 2/3 days a week now, but when the office based staff are 2x more productive then these people will be seen as a drag and forced back or let go.

I brings me back to the....it's all too good to be true thread.

My sister in law is junior management in a company that processes universal credit claims, and they're already downshifting their office space allowing more working from home in future. But a lot of their staff are house wives etc shuffling paper effectively for whom the situation has strong advantages. This isn't highly qualified project work.

49 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

B) Spot on.

£2500K for a ****ing static caravan for a week.

image.png.3f9726e21a79d1fc80fb162a0f612f72.png

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

£4K to go to ****ing centre parcs, or put it this way...£571 spend per day to go to a swimming pool, might as well go down the river for a swim, buy a new bike every day and an archery set.  That's how menal the prices are. 

image.png.40575d081e7b5a4b886266326cf0f216.png

You cant even book as they're sold out of everything !!!

1 minute ago, Si1 said:

My sister in law is junior management in a company that processes universal credit claims, and they're already downshifting their office space allowing more working from home in future. But a lot of their staff are house wives etc shuffling paper effectively for whom the situation has strong advantages. This isn't highly qualified project work.

Makes sense to me and good for people.  However, when did the government do what's good for people.  

2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Makes sense to me and good for people.  However, when did the government do what's good for people.  

Yeah they can reverse it easily enough, it's only leased office space.

15 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Lots of my work can be done perfectly well from home too.

But you can't come up with clever new ideas so easily in a zoom meeting, whilst you can talking about random work stuff in the pub after work. But you never do the latter if everyone is scattered all over (and a lot of people just hate zoom quizzes!)

32 minutes ago, MancTom said:

Lots of my work can be done perfectly well from home too.

But you can't come up with clever new ideas so easily in a zoom meeting, whilst you can talking about random work stuff in the pub after work. But you never do the latter if everyone is scattered all over (and a lot of people just hate zoom quizzes!)

Indeed. Clever new ideas aren't important to clerical paper pushers, but they are to creative, engineering project types etc.

49 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

B) Spot on.

£2500K for a ****ing static caravan for a week.

image.png.3f9726e21a79d1fc80fb162a0f612f72.png

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

£4K to go to ****ing centre parcs, or put it this way...£571 spend per day to go to a swimming pool, might as well go down the river for a swim, buy a new bike every day and an archery set.  That's how menal the prices are. 

image.png.40575d081e7b5a4b886266326cf0f216.png

You cant even book as they're sold out of everything !!!

Looks like my SUN newspaper £40 summer holiday break is out of the window for a while then.

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Overstating it a bit. I have enjoyed holidays abroad, but can still appreciate an English holiday. (helps that I have no interest in lounging on a beach). Plenty of good walks, interesting buildings, welcoming pubs and shops around. The unhealthy appeal of fish n chips, cream teas and full English breakfasts at least provide the carbs for all that walking. And although we moan about the weather at least it's rarely too hot to engage in walking/cycling/sports. Yes, it can be a mite expensive, but generally if you shop around you can get decent prices.

14 hours ago, 17clarence said:

Was taking to my colleagues about this today. We're all in IT, all been working from home since last March.

Last week, on the back of 3 massive IT/Business projects being delayed in the previous couple of months, they started buttering us up to come to the office. Video's starring the managers saying the office is where bonds are formed and social interactions occur, looking forward to the coffee machine chats, etc, etc. The final outcome looks like 2 days from home, 3 days in the office. If you're on the projects, could be 4 days office, as before.

To be fair, we are all sick of working from home anyway. Very overrated.

Opposite experience here, tho I specifically built my primary home around home working over dozen years ago so this pandemic wasn’t much an adjustment 

my current employer (ironically enough in remote working  software) basically hiring all remote but must be somewhere in Ireland, previous employer also switched remote but in Ireland only. It’s been fine working from home tho I do find myself procrastinating on this site etc while running tests, recompiling etc 😀

there’s a brand new shining office awaiting once everything reopens but I doubt go in more than once per week, maybe to mentor younger team members, they really do need help and current environment must be tough