House Price Crash Forum

Football Index: 'I lost more than £23,000 after gambling giant collapsed

HOLA441

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/football-index-collapse-lost-23000-23759415?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main&fbclid=IwAR09UQZnHw_FqrMVHHwH88lL2GbUeYKLNRdc1mhYNMfVcPy04pVCbFBBuoc

Tens of thousands of football fans have seen their life savings disappear since gambling giant Football Index collapsed into administration on March 11.

It's sparked calls for a public enquiry into a scandal that's cost some people every penny they own.

Around 30,000 people are thought to be affected by firm’s collapse, suggesting average losses of nearly £3,000 each. For others, it’s much more.

Grandad Neil Kirk, 63, first invested in Football Index in 2019.

Two weeks ago, when the gambling empire buckled, his £23,000 savings completely disappeared.

1_Football-Index-collapse-has-cost-me-%C

It sounded really impressive, I had a very good knowledge of football and players and the marketing blurb stressed this knowledge could make you money," Neil, from Middleton, Leeds, said.

In 2019, Neil "dipped his toes in the water by investing £300".

After this, he said it "quickly became addictive".

"Initially, I picked a few very good youth players with good reputations and one or two proven players. Trent Alexander Arnold was one of them.

"While I did make a few losses at the start, I found the whole concept highly appealing. It was addictive.

"I had an excellent impression of the company. It talked of plans to expand and regularly gave bonuses," he said. "The communication was spot on."

Neil said despite Football Index being classed as a gambling site "very few who used it classed it as gambling".

"It was considered more of a massive investment vehicle. There was a forum where members spoke of the massive profits being made. It made you want to invest as much as possible in order to make more money," he said.

He spoke of "whales" - people who were making vast amounts from their enormous investments.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
52 minutes ago, Locke said:

Good. If you're dumb enough to "invest" in this, society is better off for you losing your money.

How?  SInce now some may likely become dependent on welfare state payments on one form or another?

Surely the real 'crime' is that these people weren't being socially responsible and spending their money into the real economy?  😉

Edited by anonguest

HOLA444
15 minutes ago, anonguest said:

How?  SInce now some may likely become dependent on welfare state payments on one form or another?

Surely the real 'crime' is that these people weren't being socially responsible and spending their money into the real economy?  😉

You price in risk against rewards.  Suddenly spiv'ing off money becomes harder to do and more productive areas get cash.

HOLA445
20 minutes ago, anonguest said:

SInce now some may likely become dependent on welfare state payments on one form or another?

That's probably how this geezer got hold of the cash in the first place. Ought to be abolished in any case.

21 minutes ago, anonguest said:

No, the real crime is that the government has used overwhelming hyperviolence to take control of the currency and set up society wide ponzi schemes.

The responsible thing to do would have been to buy silver bullion, some Bitcoin and some allocation to energy/municipal stocks.

7 minutes ago, msi said:

You price in risk against rewards.  Suddenly spiv'ing off money becomes harder to do and more productive areas get cash.

Correct. It's hard to get a read on you MSI. Sometimes you show deep understanding like this, but I also remember you being in favour of communist government policy.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, shlomo said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/football-index-collapse-lost-23000-23759415?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main&fbclid=IwAR09UQZnHw_FqrMVHHwH88lL2GbUeYKLNRdc1mhYNMfVcPy04pVCbFBBuoc

Tens of thousands of football fans have seen their life savings disappear since gambling giant Football Index collapsed into administration on March 11.

It's sparked calls for a public enquiry into a scandal that's cost some people every penny they own.

Around 30,000 people are thought to be affected by firm’s collapse, suggesting average losses of nearly £3,000 each. For others, it’s much more.

Grandad Neil Kirk, 63, first invested in Football Index in 2019.

Two weeks ago, when the gambling empire buckled, his £23,000 savings completely disappeared.

1_Football-Index-collapse-has-cost-me-%C

It sounded really impressive, I had a very good knowledge of football and players and the marketing blurb stressed this knowledge could make you money," Neil, from Middleton, Leeds, said.

In 2019, Neil "dipped his toes in the water by investing £300".

After this, he said it "quickly became addictive".

"Initially, I picked a few very good youth players with good reputations and one or two proven players. Trent Alexander Arnold was one of them.

"While I did make a few losses at the start, I found the whole concept highly appealing. It was addictive.

"I had an excellent impression of the company. It talked of plans to expand and regularly gave bonuses," he said. "The communication was spot on."

Neil said despite Football Index being classed as a gambling site "very few who used it classed it as gambling".

"It was considered more of a massive investment vehicle. There was a forum where members spoke of the massive profits being made. It made you want to invest as much as possible in order to make more money," he said.

He spoke of "whales" - people who were making vast amounts from their enormous investments.

image.jpeg.c3f535ef16a09b067cc17a340ac2700e.jpeg

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, Locke said:

That's probably how this geezer got hold of the cash in the first place. Ought to be abolished in any case.

That's a nit of a sweeping assumption. Maybe it was his own hard earned cash/life savings and, like millions before him here and everywhere, the shmuck blew it all on something stupid.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

No, the real crime is that the government has used overwhelming hyperviolence to take control of the currency and set up society wide ponzi schemes.

The responsible thing to do would have been to buy silver bullion, some Bitcoin and some allocation to energy/municipal stocks.

I get the impression that this sort of thing would have been beyond this guy's knowledge/intellect ?

1 hour ago, Locke said:

HOLA449
8 minutes ago, anonguest said:

I get the impression that this sort of thing would have been beyond this guy's knowledge/intellect ?

Well and now he and his offspring have learned not to gamble what you cannot afford to lose.

Nothing wrong with being slow, but slow and greedy leads to this scenario.

HOLA4410
22 minutes ago, Postman said:

Fancy bunging your life savings into a fantasy football ponzi scheme.  

Facepalm

These stories always start with xxx dipping their toes in ..

You know, show these are rational, cautious people, not idiots.

Then end with xx then invested his pension, withdrew house equity and put it all in ...

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, Locke said:

Good. If you're dumb enough to "invest" in this, society is better off for you losing your money.

I actually feel sorry for him, he was way out of depth, the world is full of sharks 

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

I actually feel sorry for him, he was way out of depth, the world is full of sharks 

And this guy didn't know that? Lol. He probably bragged to his mates about how much dosh he was making just cos of footie innit

HOLA4413

Unpopular idea but I do believe stupid people need protecting from their own gullibility. 

Just because someone’s been born slower, had a harder life, not won the lottery of family support or genetics, doesn’t mean they’re fair game. I detest scammers, they prey on the weak. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56401707

Never invest/gamble more than you can afford to lose

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket

etc

etc

etc

etc

🙄

I started writing this hours ago but fell asleep as I care about these peoples' plights so little. My BTC profits are 6 figures, and I would punt a hundred quid, if that, on something like this. Just for a laugh. These people are talking thousands & tens of thousands, and that's a massive problem if it gives you a -100% ROI and it's the majority of your investment portfolio.

That money in my Premium Bonds is losing me 1% per year after inflation 😉 I can handle those kinds of losses.

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The ads for ‘football index’ were continually played on talksport and I used to chuckle to myself at how anyone could be so stupid to get involved in it.

The overwhelming majority of football players naturally fall in price. Add to that injuries, form and transfers, and it’s easy to see how the odds were stacked against the punters. 

HOLA4418
31 minutes ago, Huggy said:

That money in my Premium Bonds is losing me 1% per year after inflation

How much is it losing you if you factor in Inflation ? I would like to know how they get the inflation figures as the 1.1% rise I got this year does not come close to what I am seeing prices for essentials rise. 

HOLA4419
8 hours ago, shlomo said:

[deleted]

Sounds like b*tc**n 

:) 

HOLA4420
14 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

The ads for ‘football index’ were continually played on talksport and I used to chuckle to myself at how anyone could be so stupid to get involved in it.

Yes, the Talksport ads, plus the shirt sponsorship at Forest and QPR, seem to be getting quoted by some of the victims as key reasons why they thought the company was legit and trustworthy.  As if commercial radio stations and football clubs conduct some kind of financial and ethical deep dive into their sponsors and don't just accept money from anyone.  

Idiots.  

HOLA4421
16 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Unpopular idea but I do believe stupid people need protecting from their own gullibility. 

Just because someone’s been born slower, had a harder life, not won the lottery of family support or genetics, doesn’t mean they’re fair game. I detest scammers, they prey on the weak. 

Look, I agree. I do. They are scum of the Earth. However, everything has a cost and the cost of using a State to protect people from themselves is several orders of magnitude greater than the protection afforded.

I think smart, ethical people ought to look out for people who do not have the same mental speed. And indeed, I'm sure lots of people were warning about this being a scam and laying out the arguments. The "investors" would have ignored these kind people and then bragged about their albeit temporary profits.

Being slow does not preclude one from becoming wise and lessons like this are how people become wise.

HOLA4422
15 hours ago, Huggy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56401707

Never invest/gamble more than you can afford to lose

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket

etc

etc

etc

etc

🙄

I started writing this hours ago but fell asleep as I care about these peoples' plights so little. My BTC profits are 6 figures, and I would punt a hundred quid, if that, on something like this. Just for a laugh. These people are talking thousands & tens of thousands, and that's a massive problem if it gives you a -100% ROI and it's the majority of your investment portfolio.

That money in my Premium Bonds is losing me 1% per year after inflation 😉 I can handle those kinds of losses.

What is BTC?

HOLA4423
17 minutes ago, Locke said:

Look, I agree. I do. They are scum of the Earth. However, everything has a cost and the cost of using a State to protect people from themselves is several orders of magnitude greater than the protection afforded.

I think smart, ethical people ought to look out for people who do not have the same mental speed. And indeed, I'm sure lots of people were warning about this being a scam and laying out the arguments. The "investors" would have ignored these kind people and then bragged about their albeit temporary profits.

Being slow does not preclude one from becoming wise and lessons like this are how people become wise.

The guy is not slow, he is a northern factory worker, he was out of his depth

HOLA4424
9 minutes ago, shlomo said:

The guy is not slow, he is a northern factory worker, he was out of his depth

23 hours ago, shlomo said:

It sounded really impressive, I had a very good knowledge of football and players and the marketing blurb stressed this knowledge could make you money,"

Slow.

Should have asked one of his smart mates about it, or asked the internet. Plenty of free resources these days.

HOLA4425
5 minutes ago, Locke said:

Slow.

Should have asked one of his smart mates about it, or asked the internet. Plenty of free resources these days.

Or programmed to be fleeced