House Price Crash Forum

E bikes will change the world faster than the motor car

jimmy2x3

HOLA441

Electric bikes and trikes are set to revolutionise the whole world. covid19 has been the catalyst for this revolution and its happening so fast and worldwide that its going to in the very near time completely change how the world operates. At some point cars and trucks will be banned from large areas of cities and towns unless at certain hours for work reasons ie supplying stock to shops or delivering construction materials. the rest of the time the bike will be king. cities all over the world and it ill happen in less than 5 years. the car peak has arrived and gone, ebikes will destroy the motor trade, the public transport trade, and all the vst economy that goes with it. the change will be so severe that it will crash the economies all over the world like nothing has ever before. Electric bikes aare now being made that can go much further on a charge than a car even your standard electric bike is capable of 100 miles on a single charge and avaiable to buy today at less than £1000. 

I dont think most people jnow how much this is going to change the world, it will be as big a change as the age of the motor car. short distance travel will change forever, and short meaning under 50 miles. the losers will be wide and vast. from taxis to the london underground to buses to car manufacturers/retailers/repairers/fuel stations/tyre compaanis/parts manufacturers the list goes on and on. personal cars and mostly vans still have a place in the world but it will be a vastly reduced space. but the loss in revenue and jobs is going to be a bigger shock to the world economy than covid19 has been. maany world economies will collapse, wars started and all because of the electric bike. and in a very short space of time perhaps 5 years at the most. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/14/21258412/city-bike-lanes-open-streets-ebike-sales-bicyclist-pedestrian

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

What is the advantage of of an electric bike over a human powered one? There ill be a balance of advantages and disadvantages...

HOLA444
HOLA445
14 minutes ago, Grayphil said:

Agreed, although I've been looking at the scooter things, just as they take up even less space. 

Public transport to get from city to city, and end destination by these fold up scooters or bikes

Can't also carry shopping etc/

What's the point? Don't see it revolutionising the world..

HOLA446
18 minutes ago, erat_forte said:

What is the advantage of of an electric bike over a human powered one? There ill be a balance of advantages and disadvantages...

Some days you're not in the mood for the effort of cycling. If you're much over the age of 30 the recovery time from cycling to work and back can be a bit painful and not something you'd want to do every day.

Must depend on the individual.

HOLA447
9 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Some days you're not in the mood for the effort of cycling. If you're much over the age of 30 the recovery time from cycling to work and back can be a bit painful and not something you'd want to do every day.

Agreed - and you have the advantage of not instantly needing a shower when you get to work. In some offices more an issue than others... (level of shower provision not accepting BO)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

The main thing that is driving bicycle use right now is the lack of traffic making it SAFE to cycle.

Any cyclist could tell you this, but in the UK we have had decades of planners who think it is OK to mix up cyclists with road traffic.

HOLA4411
1 minute ago, Habeas Domus said:

The main thing that is driving bicycle use right now is the lack of traffic making it SAFE to cycle.

Any cyclist could tell you this, but in the UK we have had decades of planners who think it is OK to mix up cyclists with road traffic.

Yep and the weather is lovely.

I am looking out the window and thinking hey an e bike or a piaggio wide mp3 would be nice.

In the rain.... no thanks.

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

And the bike, and the journey. I have an old racing/touring bike, wear normal clothes, drift along at 10mph, no effort, no sweat, very comfortable for trips up to 5 miles on the flat. The problems are carrying luggage, rain, wind, traffic, all of which are equally problems with an electric bike I would imagine. And a journey more than 10 miles on any bike type thing is going to be an effort, the exposure etc.

I can see that some people are not fit enough to ride a normal town bike a couple of miles - fair enough - but some people are not capable of riding an electric safely? What is the overlap between people not fit enough for a pedal bike but not frail enough for an electric bike?

Electric trike might be more plausible but it gets heavier, wider, storage issues...

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

Yep and the weather is lovely.

I am looking out the window and thinking hey an e bike or a piaggio wide mp3 would be nice.

In the rain.... no thanks.

depends where you are, but the rain is rarely strong in this country. Having commuted on a bike for 4 years in London, the number of days I would get proper rain gear out where very few in a year. With light rain, a wool jumper and a short will be enough to keep you dry, and you will quickly dry your legs anyway

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, erat_forte said:

For me I live 20 miles out of London and can cycle but a 20 mile slog on a bike in and out every day is not my cup of tea I am not a lycra warrior. Not worried about the risks ride a motorbike in and out but cycling not my sport.

A decent electric cycle makes that feasible even enjoyable - I can see there being great demand in this sort of area all the way into Zone 3

HOLA4415

A lot of these ideas are thought up by twentysomething  civil servants and local government staff who live in zones 1-2 in London.

Totally impractical for elderly people, people with kids, the disabled or anyone not living in city centre (e.g. suburban or rural areas). Totally impractical for shopping or transporting goods as well.

And while they are great in June - not so much fun in January when its dark and icy.

HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

A lot of these ideas are thought up by twentysomething  civil servants and local government staff who live in zones 1-2 in London.

Totally impractical for elderly people, people with kids, the disabled or anyone not living in city centre (e.g. suburban or rural areas). Totally impractical for shopping or transporting goods as well.

Works well in the low countries. But they have sightly milder winter climate to us.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 hour ago, jimmy2x3 said:

Electric bikes and trikes are set to revolutionise the whole world. covid19 has been the catalyst for this revolution and its happening so fast and worldwide that its going to in the very near time completely change how the world operates. At some point cars and trucks will be banned from large areas of cities and towns unless at certain hours for work reasons ie supplying stock to shops or delivering construction materials. the rest of the time the bike will be king. cities all over the world and it ill happen in less than 5 years. the car peak has arrived and gone, ebikes will destroy the motor trade, the public transport trade, and all the vst economy that goes with it. the change will be so severe that it will crash the economies all over the world like nothing has ever before. Electric bikes aare now being made that can go much further on a charge than a car even your standard electric bike is capable of 100 miles on a single charge and avaiable to buy today at less than £1000. 

I dont think most people jnow how much this is going to change the world, it will be as big a change as the age of the motor car. short distance travel will change forever, and short meaning under 50 miles. the losers will be wide and vast. from taxis to the london underground to buses to car manufacturers/retailers/repairers/fuel stations/tyre compaanis/parts manufacturers the list goes on and on. personal cars and mostly vans still have a place in the world but it will be a vastly reduced space. but the loss in revenue and jobs is going to be a bigger shock to the world economy than covid19 has been. maany world economies will collapse, wars started and all because of the electric bike. and in a very short space of time perhaps 5 years at the most. 

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/14/21258412/city-bike-lanes-open-streets-ebike-sales-bicyclist-pedestrian

Have you ever owned a car? You don't have to pedal, they hold four or more people at the same time, and have a nice weather resistant environment. Electric Cars can also be pre heated or pre cooled from indoors. Have you ever had something as big or bigger than a car hit your car, at speed? Seen the damage. Have you ever convinced someone you fancy to take an ebike trip to a remote spot and had sex with them? Have you done 50 miles on an ebike in the howling wind and rain. Have you ever tried riding any bicycle in 2ft+ of snow full stop? Will your ebike have climate control when its too hot?  Have you ever driven to a train station, parked your car, taken a trip to a city for 8 hours, come back and found your car gone? loaded into the back of a van apparently. 

let me correct this for you "Electric bikes and trikes for the poor are set to revolutionise the whole world" 

The rest of us will swan around in luxurious large electric cars that are self driving, "what was was that bang dear? hmmm, don't know, probably a pleb on a ebike, don't worry the car self repairing.   

HOLA4419

I've been a mountain biker for many years as a replacement for moto x in my younger days. 4years ago I bought an e mtb. Fantastic! I can get to the top of any mountain now but use it more at established mtb trail centres in the UK of which there are many.  70 mile range and 25pence to charge the battery. With a little thought old railway lines could be used for inter city bikeways. The bikes can cruise legally at 15 mph with ease but could be derestricted to cruise at 30mph with new laws. Add ons including cargo carriers and fairings would make commuting comfortableish. These bikes should be encouraged for everyone to use but there needs to be safe traffic free lanes/paths/roads/bikeways for them.

HOLA4420
10 minutes ago, 10 rillington place said:

I've been a mountain biker for many years as a replacement for moto x in my younger days. 4years ago I bought an e mtb. Fantastic! I can get to the top of any mountain now but use it more at established mtb trail centres in the UK of which there are many.  70 mile range and 25pence to charge the battery. With a little thought old railway lines could be used for inter city bikeways. The bikes can cruise legally at 15 mph with ease but could be derestricted to cruise at 30mph with new laws. Add ons including cargo carriers and fairings would make commuting comfortableish. These bikes should be encouraged for everyone to use but there needs to be safe traffic free lanes/paths/roads/bikeways for them.

70 miles wow what make / model?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
3 hours ago, Si1 said:

Works well in the low countries. But they have sightly milder winter climate to us.

No they don't.  Their weather is continental and it tends to result in warmer summers and colder winters.  What they do have is a fantastic cycle network that makes anything we have done in the UK look pathetic (as usual).

Try doing this in the UK - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht

HOLA4423
31 minutes ago, dougless said:

No they don't.  Their weather is continental

The low countries do not experience a continental climate. They have a maritime climate much like our own. A little milder in winter as they get more low pressure continental systems indeed from the continental interior which whilst colder are much dryer (clear crisp winter days) than the mild soggy humid weather systems they get from the Atlantic also in winter.

.  What they do have is a fantastic cycle network that makes anything we have done in the UK look pathetic (as usual).

They do have a fantastic cycle network. I've seen it and used it. I wish we had one too.

HOLA4424
On 29/05/2020 at 16:50, dougless said:

No they don't.  Their weather is continental and it tends to result in warmer summers and colder winters.  What they do have is a fantastic cycle network that makes anything we have done in the UK look pathetic (as usual).

you an others dont get it im sorry to say. 

because you fail to understand that the obstacles that we have now to mass use are going to be removed. did you not read te article?

government are going to change an adapt cities for bikes, the bike and walking will be the priority not cars. another couple of posters mentioned carrying shopping, these electric bikes allready have small trailers that can carry the weight of an adult or whatever your shopping or tools etc is. as i stated people will object they allways do to change or new things.

the newest ebikes have 3kw batteries and can travel 400 km on a single charge. and at up to 30mph. people are just not getting it. but you will because its going to happen no matter your objections which im pretty confused to understand. of course there will be other modes of transport and this wont change, however their use will vastly drop. 

they use is allready happening in coutries where motorcyle use was vast like thailand and india million of petrol bikes and tuck tucks all being removed and the electric equivelent replacing them. electric motorbikes are making a strong appearance in the uk and other eu countries. but the ultimate change allways comes through legislation. and that legislation is starting to happen all over the world. 

HOLA4425
15 hours ago, jimmy2x3 said:

you an others dont get it im sorry to say. 

because you fail to understand that the obstacles that we have now to mass use are going to be removed. did you not read te article?

government are going to change an adapt cities for bikes, the bike and walking will be the priority not cars. another couple of posters mentioned carrying shopping, these electric bikes allready have small trailers that can carry the weight of an adult or whatever your shopping or tools etc is. as i stated people will object they allways do to change or new things.

the newest ebikes have 3kw batteries and can travel 400 km on a single charge. and at up to 30mph. people are just not getting it. but you will because its going to happen no matter your objections which im pretty confused to understand. of course there will be other modes of transport and this wont change, however their use will vastly drop. 

they use is allready happening in coutries where motorcyle use was vast like thailand and india million of petrol bikes and tuck tucks all being removed and the electric equivelent replacing them. electric motorbikes are making a strong appearance in the uk and other eu countries. but the ultimate change allways comes through legislation. and that legislation is starting to happen all over the world. 

I absolutely 'get it' and I hope you are correct however spanking motorists will create a backlash and there is already a low level of aggression shown towards cyclists in the UK from other road users.  I have been cycling for more than 60 years and have cycled in many other countries.  Cycling is a viable form of transport and electric bikes makes it even more so.  I regularly use a bike to get my shopping and visit town centers. My problem with cycling in the UK is the lip service played to green transport issues; cycle in the Netherlands and you will see how it can be done.

Archived