Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

To be fair to him his pubs which are incredibly popular, have all been closed until further notice and he has 40,000 people to pay. Government have announced that they will pay 80% of wages to furloughed staff so he has said show me the money!! Paying 40,000 staff from cashflow when not trading may be a tad tricky.

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Locke said:

Do you expect him to scoop some gold out of his Scrooge McDuck style vault and hand it to them?

55 minutes ago, Patfig said:

To be fair to him his pubs which are incredibly popular, have all been closed until further notice and he has 40,000 people to pay. Government have announced that they will pay 80% of wages to furloughed staff so he has said show me the money!! Paying 40,000 staff from cashflow when not trading may be a tad tricky.

Surely Weatherspoon of all the pub chains would be able to afford it. If they cannot obviously the policy will be a failure. I think the reality they don't want to pay it because they regard their staff as expendable and it will be cheaper to rehire/replace them when normality returns.

HOLA4410
3 hours ago, Patfig said:

Don't be defeatist, of course he can pay - you simply need to think that you will be ok and not get dragged down by 'Project Fear'

</sarcasm>

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
10 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Surely Weatherspoon of all the pub chains would be able to afford it.

There are extremely skinny margins in the pub business and I doubt they have much cash on hand, if any. When he (or a business) is "worth" £40million, that means he has £40million in asset values such as stocks, properties, etc. Were he to liquidate that, especially now, he would get fire sale prices and never be able to give his former staff jobs ever again.

7 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

That is not what he said, if you could be bothered to actually read the news regarding Wetherspoons pubs you would well know that.

Do you really expect a Remoaner to let a good bit of Brexiteer bashing go to waste, just because of some pesky little facts?

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, Locke said:

When he (or a business) is "worth" £40million, that means he has £40million in asset values such as stocks, properties, etc. Were he to liquidate that, especially now, he would get fire sale prices and never be able to give his former staff jobs ever again

Their current accounts declare the value of assets at £1.5bn, but to paraphrase, why let some pesky little facts get in the way of a good argument. 

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, Locke said:

There are extremely skinny margins in the pub business and I doubt they have much cash on hand, if any. When he (or a business) is "worth" £40million, that means he has £40million in asset values such as stocks, properties, etc. Were he to liquidate that, especially now, he would get fire sale prices and never be able to give his former staff jobs ever again.

Maybe spoons should have a liquidate club day, curry club does get rather boring 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
12 minutes ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

Spoons is also going to have to dispose of a lot of it's fresh goods and open kegs, like our local pub has had to do. I expect some or all of this wastage is claimable against tax?

spoons does not have those problems most of it is frozen. 

when this is over i would avoid eating out for a couple of months till they use up all the frozen stuff bulked up in restaurants. 

HOLA4418
43 minutes ago, naturals said:

Their current accounts declare the value of assets at £1.5bn, but to paraphrase, why let some pesky little facts get in the way of a good argument. 

Current assets represent all the assets of a company that are expected to be conveniently sold, consumed, utilized or exhausted through the standard business operations, which can lead to their conversion to a cash value over the next one year period.

Current assets include cash, cash equivalents, accounts receivable, stock inventory, marketable securities, pre-paid liabilities, and other liquid assets. In a few jurisdictions, the term is also known as current accounts.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
46 minutes ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

Is it really surprising from “The Mirror”?

No. They are still reeling from the bloody nose they got in 2016, and then after mouthing off continuously after that, the flooring they got just 3 months ago.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
35 minutes ago, koala_bear said:

off -licences now included in the list of shops allowed to open.

Someone in government must really hate 'spoons!

I wonder if Spoons licence allows off sales too!

HOLA4423
45 minutes ago, koala_bear said:

off -licences now included in the list of shops allowed to open.

Someone in government must really hate 'spoons!

Most are also food shops. Also I don't think it would be a good idea to restrict the sale of alcohol and then leave thousands of fully stocked off licences closed and just ripe for ransacking.  

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
7 hours ago, Locke said:

There are extremely skinny margins in the pub business and I doubt they have much cash on hand, if any. 

He could have tried this:

Sell vouchers online, perhaps at a small discount, which can be redeemed at Wetherspoons when it reopens. Announce that this will help to ensure staff are paid whilst it is shut. He could even specify how much money he needs to raise to do so. Or do this contingent on selling a certain amount (e.g. if a certain threshold of voucher sales isn't reached, he simply refunds them).

Try to create some kind of online experience (e.g. a pub quiz - people can pay a small fee to take part)

Also he might have said he's keen to work with the government to see whether Wetherspoons can: 

1) Make hotel rooms available to key workers to be nearer to their place of work and not to need to use public transport, or to those who need to self-isolate, or are homeless (he could just announce this publicly and then quietly ask the government for help with the costs)

2) make deliveries of the food and drink it already has and possibly continue making deliveries. He can then blame the government, at least implicitly, if this doesn't happen.