Top Posters In This Topic

• Arpeggio

• Peter Hun

• Confusion of VIs

• Bruce Banner

HOLA442
HOLA443
8 hours ago, anonguest said:

oh very good.  I think we've established that his GPT3, or whatever it is, hasn't had it's hebrew language module installed yet.  LOL

Is he a large or small language model do we think? What's his parameter count?

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA444
6 hours ago, anonguest said:

The thread would seem to have mutated just like Omicron. And become harmless!  😉

It’s over boys. In 2022 we’ll get back to focusing on all the other messed up things in world. 

Covid as we knew it is finished. Leaders enjoyed their power trips but they’re missing their holidays as much as the rest of us. 

Edited by Pmax2020

HOLA445
HOLA446
11 hours ago, Bob8 said:

If a pandemic flu arises like 1918, there are plans. And, seriously, the response will not be as namby pamby as 2020 and the vaccine will be untested because we will not have time for that.

So your big pharma employer has already prepared the way for the next "Operation Warp Speed"? That's quite a bold assertion. Thanks for letting us know.

HOLA447
HOLA448
9 minutes ago, Quiet Guy said:

So your big pharma employer has already prepared the way for the next "Operation Warp Speed"? That's quite a bold assertion. Thanks for letting us know.

Imagine a 1918 style flu pandemic in todays highly connected world. Or even if SARS had not been contained within China. Think

HOLA449
1 hour ago, rollover said:

Pandemic giant savings pot:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/13774/production/_122623797_express-nc.png

Isn't this the same newspaper that is always seemingly predicting some sort of monster weather event that could, from the the descriptions, possibly kill half of us in the next few days?

So isn't this just a financial/economic variation on that? i.e. HUGE MONEY TIDAL WAVE SET UNLEASH DEVASTATING INFLATION that will leave half of us homeless and starving.....

Let's hope that they're wrong on this one too!

HOLA4410

1.7Tn / 65m = £26154 per person. Is that remotely credible for a large percentage of the population? No. Sounds more likely that a few people have a huge savings pile. With such savings, would anyone be worried about a couple of grand fuel bill. The headline doesn't really stack up but this is the Express which is well known not to be a serious source of news.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Imagine a 1918 style flu pandemic in todays highly connected world. Or even if SARS had not been contained within China. Think

I think @Bob8 needs booting in recovery mode, and then a quick:

$sudo fsck -p /dev/sda1

HOLA4413
13 hours ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

1.7Tn / 65m = £26154 per person. Is that remotely credible for a large percentage of the population? No. Sounds more likely that a few people have a huge savings pile. With such savings, would anyone be worried about a couple of grand fuel bill. The headline doesn't really stack up but this is the Express which is well known not to be a serious source of news.

More like our family sitting on £300k cash and £500k in Crypto, and 300-500 other local familys with £0 , nothing. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
37 minutes ago, winkie said:

Over 60s free prescriptions?......freedom passes?...... Tory voters won't like that.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/free-prescriptions-over-60s-nhs-22656366

They should cut these back.It's unfair on young workers.

HOLA4418
1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

They should cut these back.It's unfair on young workers.

Not saying they shouldn't, the point is we are supposed to be a united kingdom.....if you live in a certain place you get better privileges and services.......nobody outside London gets a freedom pass where public transport is the most expensive.....live in Scotland or Wales all have access to free prescriptions, can study for free in Scotland, that is good for young people.;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Not saying they shouldn't, the point is we are supposed to be a united kingdom.....if you live in a certain place you get better privileges and services.......nobody outside London gets a freedom pass where public transport is the most expensive.....live in Scotland or Wales all have access to free prescriptions, can study for free in Scotland, that is good for young people.;)

My issue is we had low taxes when the boomers were the main working age group and now we have the highest tax burden for years. Really many of them should have been making proper private pension provision rather than expecting free stuff.

HOLA4421

Anyway back to food, would anyone agree with me that there is variation in the quality of food offered between supermarkets and grocery stores in different parts of the country?

Often prior to business meeting it is easy to meet up in a supermarket car park and grab a coffee in the coffee shop. Having been inside stores in a fair few parts of the country over the years, i have noticed a lot of variation.

Places like Manchester, Birmingham, London and the home counties no problem. It when you get to some of the poorer more far flung northern towns in particular that you notice it goes from aisles of fresh fruit and veg to packets of crisps and biscuits.

I am assuming the shops stock what sells.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4422
Just now, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Anyway back to food, would anyone agree with me that there is variation in the quality of food offered between supermarkets and grocery stores in different parts of the country?

Often prior to business meeting it is easy to meet up in a supermarket car park and grab a coffee in the coffee shop. Having been inside stores in a fair few parts of the country over the years, i have noticed a lot of variation.

Places like Manchester, Birmingham, London and the home counties no problem. It when you get to some of the poorer more far flung northern towns in particular that you notice it goes from aisles of fresh fruit and veg to packets of crisps and biscuits.

I am assuming the shops stock what sells.

Agree entirely. Similar sort of personal observations made - also the point about variation in whats being sold in different regions.

One other thing though that I have become increasingly aware of, and am now sure it's not my imagination at all, is that there HAS been a noticeable deterioration in food nutritional/taste quality (particularly some categories of fruit) sold in supermarkets in my 50+ years I've been around.  Also huge reduction in diversity (e.g. range of types of apples available).  To get the sort of range that once used to be commonplace you have to find a traditional greengrocer - which has become a sort of niche business almost.

Like yourself we have increasingly taken to buying when we can organic stuff and, when we can, non-supermarket fruit/veg.  There is often, not always, a definite taste improvement.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4423

Don't really know about over the area but the veg in my local Tesco has got rather worse in the last few years. Never a brilliant choice, but adequate, now it's more whatever pre-packed stuff they get in all the time (the only loose potatoes they ever have are baking ones, and it's rare I can get through a packet without chucking several). I'd go somewhere else but it's five minutes' walk away as opposed to driving, and there's no local greengrocer.

HOLA4424
18 minutes ago, anonguest said:

Agree entirely. Similar sort of personal observations made - also the point about variation in whats being sold in different regions.

One other thing though that I have become increasingly aware of, and am now sure it's not my imagination at all, is that there HAS been a noticeable deterioration in food nutritional/taste quality (particularly some categories of fruit) sold in supermarkets in my 50+ years I've been around.  Also huge reduction in diversity (e.g. range of types of apples available).  To get the sort of range that once used to be commonplace you have to find a traditional greengrocer - which has become a sort of niche business almost.

Like yourself we have increasingly taken to buying when we can organic stuff and, when we can, non-supermarket fruit/veg.  There is often, not always, a definite taste improvement.

I'd agree, even in the high end supermarkets. I assume this is cost cutting, but more recently covid hitting supply chains and Brexit.

HOLA4425
16 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Don't really know about over the area but the veg in my local Tesco has got rather worse in the last few years. Never a brilliant choice, but adequate, now it's more whatever pre-packed stuff they get in all the time (the only loose potatoes they ever have are baking ones, and it's rare I can get through a packet without chucking several). I'd go somewhere else but it's five minutes' walk away as opposed to driving, and there's no local greengrocer.

Yes, as above it is price driven. Fresh food also doesn't keep and I am sure BrexVid19 has had an impact.