Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Maynardgravy

Rees-Mogg "Stop overseas charity - put money into housing"

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

On QT.

Also said housing was the No1 priority - something in going on in the corridors of power...

For overseas people to come to the UK to live in?

 

For his six children to profit from?

 

Could someone tell him to STFU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

For overseas people to come to the UK to live in?

 

For his six children to profit from?

 

Could someone tell him to STFU

He might be the son of a Lord and have an Etonian accent but he's not as complacent/out of touch as the PM. 

I don't care if his kids do profit from housing if it results in more houses being provided. Not sure there's enormous pent up demand in Somerset though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was another question of student loans.

I was hoping some one would say once we close the borders we will offer free university courses again. We can't afford to educate every migrant. Didn't happen.

Cred to Rees mogg, the only one who said divert money to housing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

There was another question of student loans.

I was hoping some one would say once we close the borders we will offer free university courses again. We can't afford to educate every migrant. Didn't happen.

Cred to Rees mogg, the only one who said divert money to housing.

Except the problem is precisely that too much money has been diverted towards housing.

We need to divert money away from housing and towards the productive economy. 

Its nice that they are starting to acknowledge the housing crisis that they deliberately created, now that the risks to their power outweigh the profits, but nothing will improve until they acknowledge what the problem actually is: too many landlords. 

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

Except the problem is precisely that too much money has been diverted towards housing.

We need to divert money away from housing and towards the productive economy. 

Its nice that they are starting to acknowledge the housing crisis that they deliberately created, now that the risks to their power outweigh the profits, but nothing will improve until they acknowledge what the problem actually is: too many landlords. 

Notwithstanding your name, i couldn't care how many landlords there were. If we were talking 90% renting, not a problem. The capitalists are right, supply, demands works, but only with a level field.

The problem is our insane rental laws that put 100% of power in the landlord and make renting the choice of 'losers'.

Add on the influence of housing benefit and you've got a toxic underwriting of prices which strays far from any capitalist ideals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mat109 said:

Notwithstanding your name, i couldn't care how many landlords there were. If we were talking 90% renting, not a problem. The capitalists are right, supply, demands works, but only with a level field.

The problem is our insane rental laws that put 100% of power in the landlord and make renting the choice of 'losers'.

Add on the influence of housing benefit and you've got a toxic underwriting of prices which strays far from any capitalist ideals.

Supply and demand doesn't work when it comes to land because the supply of valuable locations is fixed. Capitalists have known this since David Ricardo and Adam Smith pointed it out in the late 18th and early 19th century. 

The only way for more people to own is for fewer people to rent and that necessarily requires fewer landlords. 

Stricter rental rules are just a weak compromise. Make renting a bit more like owning, so landlords can be a bit less of a burden on the productive economy.  Like putting ketchup on a turd. 

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched it.  Nothing shakes JRM, he's quite steady. Yes, he's caricature-like posh but got his points across very well. 

Something's afoot among the Tories, he's right about housing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rees Mog is head and shoulders above most Tories.

 

Hilarious when people bridle against accent. Unlike most of the bourgeoisie he can have a conversation with the serfs without looking like he wouldnt p#ss on them if they were on fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, adarmo said:

He might be the son of a Lord and have an Etonian accent but he's not as complacent/out of touch as the PM. 

I don't care if his kids do profit from housing if it results in more houses being provided. Not sure there's enormous pent up demand in Somerset though. 

Just as bad in Somerset as anywhere else, lots of nimbies too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lending extra money to people to buy houses, or using extra money to build houses?

I know which one has been followed in recent decades and which one is actually needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

Supply and demand doesn't work when it comes to land because the supply of valuable locations is fixed. Capitalists have known this since David Ricardo and Adam Smith pointed it out in the late 18th and early 19th century. 

The only way for more people to own is for fewer people to rent and that necessarily requires fewer landlords. 

Stricter rental rules are just a weak compromise. Make renting a bit more like owning, so landlords can be a bit less of a burden on the productive economy.  Like putting ketchup on a turd. 

....not at all, any place can very easily become valuable, down to will to invest into that location, infrastructure, quality of life, quality jobs.....when rents stop being supported, when rents no longer pay, landlords will drop their income and capital tax efficient assets like a hot brick.....private renting is a deregulation of social housing, because TPTB have over the years basically washed their hands of it......being noticed more now than ever before....somethings got to change.;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

Except the problem is precisely that too much money has been diverted towards housing.

We need to divert money away from housing and towards the productive economy. 

Its nice that they are starting to acknowledge the housing crisis that they deliberately created, now that the risks to their power outweigh the profits, but nothing will improve until they acknowledge what the problem actually is: too many landlords. 

This.

too many landlords

too many foreign buyers

not enough tax on BTL

not enough tenant rights

baby boomers sitting on huge wealth piles

move parliament and all gov departments to Hartlepool, Whitehaven, and Preston.

Edited by GrizzlyDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DrBuyToLeech said:

 

Its nice that they are starting to acknowledge the housing crisis that they deliberately created, now that the risks to their power outweigh the profits...

Would be great to see Marr or one of the Newsnight presenters level this at a Tory politician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this shows us that the people running the country are not fit for purpose.

When did it become government policy to get people into as much debt as possible?

I though it was all about living within our means and austerity..........but not for anyone who needs shelter it seems.

 

Laughable and embarrassing for all involved in this bent housing market.

1 hour ago, winkie said:

.The government should be supplying the cash to build these houses imo.

It's a start though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Rees Mog is head and shoulders above most Tories.

Hilarious when people bridle against accent. Unlike most of the bourgeoisie he can have a conversation with the serfs without looking like he wouldnt p#ss on them if they were on fire.

Absolutely agree - he can make an argument clearly, without resorting to clichéd soundbites and abuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good programme last night.

'Magic money forest!' Labour getting a fair share of the grief from the audience this time.

But the Foreign Aid thing. It's like, we are now that desperate - seems there nothing is else to pull out of the hat?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

On QT.

Also said housing was the No1 priority - something in going on in the corridors of power...

They're adding a few more teaspoons of Bisto to the house builders gravy boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, frankief said:

Good programme last night.

'Magic money forest!' Labour getting a fair share of the grief from the audience this time.

But the Foreign Aid thing. It's like, we are now that desperate - seems there nothing is else to pull out of the hat?

 

 

 

Agree that there are lots of other spending commitments to target (trident) but why wouldn't money being spent on people outside of this country be the first target?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Agree that there are lots of other spending commitments to target (trident) but why wouldn't money being spent on people outside of this country be the first target?

 

 

Umm. You have to look into what 'foreign aid' actually represents in terms of statesmanship and global politics.

Hint: it's not about ridding children of ringworm or starvation.

Surely you already know this with that user name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an idea, it is without intellectual foundation. 


Though Jacob Rees-Mogg may have benefited from a great education and has a superficially likeable character, these populist ideas are nothing other than 'misattribution of cause' and policies which could make the problem worse.


Redirecting money from aid to housing is wrong because the housing market is very distorted. The Tories certainly will not correct those distortions, as those distortions benefit so many of their supporters.


It took George Osborne years to realise the distortive effects of BTL and begin to act upon it. 


As to Hammond/May and the 'do nothing' budget, and the 'do nothing' manifesto, how can anyone believe the Tories will ever tackle the real problems of: land hoarding, property cartels, BTL mortgages, removing HRA cap, foreign/tax-haven ownership, rent controls, right to buy, nimbyism, devaluation of currency, etc. Is Jacob Rees-Mogg willing to take on any of these problems? Or is taking food out of the mouths of starving Eithiopians a more acceptable solution?


Even if money was redirected, putting that into the 'existing system' it would get swallowed up by property developer shareholders, unless it were to be combined with a central government housebuilding operation, which the Tory government are unlikely to deliver.

 

If countries like the UK reduce foreign aid, and that stabilising force is removed from those countries, you could begin to see more civil wars, and later an increase in the refugee crisis which would later place an increased demand on our housing domestically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   54 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.