House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
32 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/sajid-javid-commemorative-brexit-coins-1-6483419

Remainers vow to take new Brexit 50p coin out of circulation

"If and when I get one of these 50 pence coins I shall remove it from circulation, keep it in a drawer, and return them all to a bank on the day the UK rejoins the EU which I predict will not be long," wrote John Perry.

"Put them in a pot. Get them out of circulation. There is only a relatively small amount being made, 500,000 I think so it would be easy if everyone plays the game!" responded Ian Payne.

"16 million people voted remain. I'm sure we can remove this coin very quickly," he added.

:D:D:D

Just tell anybody that gives them to you in change they are counterfeit and refuse to accept them ?

HOLA443
2 hours ago, maffo in oxford said:

That reminds me of something else...

hy.jpg

The eurovision song contest?

I spoke to many europeans this summer whilst at a german castle knocking back beer. some seemed to think we had gone all adolf, others just mad. to me Brexit is a disagreement about what a nation state should look like, the main arguments is about the nature of freedom and ID cards etc. not Nazism, indeed the inverse- i offer you this article by a chinese dissident

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jan/21/ai-weiwei-on-his-new-life-in-britain-germany-virtual-reality-film

Edited by debtlessmanc
rethink

HOLA444
26 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

The eurovision song contest?

I spoke to many europeans this summer whilst at a german castle knocking back beer. some seemed to think we had gone all adolf, others just mad. to me Brexit is a disagreement about what a nation state should look like, the main arguments is about the nature of freedom and ID cards etc. not Nazism, indeed the inverse- i offer you this article by a chinese dissident

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jan/21/ai-weiwei-on-his-new-life-in-britain-germany-virtual-reality-film

I am not sure many think in the term 'what a nation state should look like'. Most don't want the level of immigration...that being the meme that they have settled on (by way of being fed the message for political gain) for their particulate set grievances. 

There maybe an intellectual argument behind all this...but it is largely confined to the navel gazers....

You German friends may be right....our politicians have made the the enemy 'the other'...dangerous indeed.

HOLA445
31 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

I am not sure many think in the term 'what a nation state should look like'. Most don't want the level of immigration...that being the meme that they have settled on (by way of being fed the message for political gain) for their particulate set grievances. 

There maybe an intellectual argument behind all this...but it is largely confined to the navel gazers....

You German friends may be right....our politicians have made the the enemy 'the other'...dangerous indeed.

Germany's population is still delining despite the 2015 influx, that is this thing they worry about most in my experience.

HOLA446
3 hours ago, Huggy said:

Ah bless, lots of children, thousands of them, singing for a song that some adults want at #1 on the 31st. The adults do know best, and the children will probably follow (it makes sense as evolution probably looks kindly on kids who do as they're told).

Here's another lovely photo of children, protesting children, doing what the adults know is best for them. Ironic I have to post it on this site, but there you go.

The Leave support among children below. 

They are those who are going to change your nappies, just remember don't tell them you voted Leave. 

One lone leave voter at a mock referendum in a school

HOLA447
1 minute ago, slawek said:

The Leave support among children below. 

They are those who are going to change your nappies, just remember don't tell them you voted Leave. 

i'll tell them to shoot me, see how that pans out. alternatively the robots can deal with it.

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 minute ago, slawek said:

They will be controlling robots. Why would you want to be shot? Guilt? 

why would i want to be shot, because, like terry jones, i hade moved on without taking my body with me. AI and robots will be looking after us in the future, not people from poor counries etc.

HOLA4410
14 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

why would i want to be shot, because, like terry jones, i hade moved on without taking my body with me. AI and robots will be looking after us in the future, not people from poor counries etc.

Hmm.. you don't think that people like, are comforted by, human contact/interaction when they are elderly and frail, better to be with robots?

Edited by smash

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
4 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

My guess is AI and robots won't be ready to replace people at the time you would need them.

As for shooting there are much more civilised ways to say goodbye. However taking into account your voting records they could be unavailable to you. Even if you were allowed to take a shortcut it would lead you to a special unpleasant place where you would have a chance to join Mark Francois and others. I would strongly suggest to reconsider your decision then as the other option is definitely more relaxing albeit a little devoid of meaning. 

HOLA4413
6 minutes ago, slawek said:

My guess is AI and robots won't be ready to replace people at the time you would need them.

As for shooting there are much more civilised ways to say goodbye. However taking into account your voting records they could be unavailable to you. Even if you were allowed to take a shortcut it would lead you to a special unpleasant place where you would have a chance to join Mark Francois and others. I would strongly suggest to reconsider your decision then as the other option is definitely more relaxing albeit a little devoid of meaning. 

My wife has just had a cancer diagnosis and wants to got to dignatas (Switzerland not EU), if the diagnosis moves that way (at the moment the prognosis is 90% after 10 years)

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4414

EU asks partners to treat UK as bloc member after Brexit

The EU is going to contact its partners around the world this week with an unusual request: could you temporarily pretend that Britain is still in the bloc, even though it will have left?

FT

Just to enjoy all the benefits of EU membership for little bit longer.

HOLA4415
1 minute ago, debtlessmanc said:

My wife has just had a cancer diagnosis and want to got to dignatas, if the diagnosis moves that way

I know your feelings, my mum has just been diagnosed too, so far so good. I wish you both well. Life sucks sometimes and not much you can do about it. We are just very tiny specks of dust in the universe.   

HOLA4416
5 minutes ago, slawek said:

I know your feelings, my mum has just been diagnosed too, so far so good. I wish you both well. Life sucks sometimes and not much you can do about it. We are just very tiny specks of dust in the universe.   

Thanks, indeed. she is my second wife and her first husband died young from it too. Her logic and bravery is amazing. I am truly humbled by it.

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4417
15 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Thanks, indeed. she is my second wife and her first husband died young from it too. Her logic and bravery is amazing. I am truly humbled by it.

She seems to be a very strong woman or just trying to create an illusion of control in a situation, which is beyond control. Please take care of her as she might need your help at some point.   

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

Germany's population is still delining despite the 2015 influx, that is this thing they worry about most in my experience.

Exactly my point... the politics of the far right feeding the 'blame the other' meme. 

Also, it does not tally with your other observation, we are mad, we are going full on Hitler etc. There is an inherent conflict of ideas at play...probably because people are having trouble making sense of it. It has always been easier to blame the other....history.

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/sajid-javid-commemorative-brexit-coins-1-6483419

Remainers vow to take new Brexit 50p coin out of circulation

"If and when I get one of these 50 pence coins I shall remove it from circulation, keep it in a drawer, and return them all to a bank on the day the UK rejoins the EU which I predict will not be long," wrote John Perry.

"Put them in a pot. Get them out of circulation. There is only a relatively small amount being made, 500,000 I think so it would be easy if everyone plays the game!" responded Ian Payne.

"16 million people voted remain. I'm sure we can remove this coin very quickly," he added.

:D:D:D

As I said, there will be some inventive uses for these coins emerging. I bet they don't stay in a pot. Probably be used as part of a sculpture or something.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

31st JANUARY 2020

Not long left now. Unfortunately there are going to be plenty of angry people.

But not me, along with millions of others who will celebrate. The deal will definitely be done.

However if the day does not go your way. Have a beer and chill.

I know I'm gonna enjoy it and I'm looking forward to the future. 

HOLA4422
Just now, FANG said:

31st JANUARY 2020

But not me, along with millions of others who will celebrate. The deal will definitely be done.

In time I hope we can all look back on it and celebrate and sincerely hope that my fear of this change was just the usual fear of change that we are all party to in our advancing years.

Kind of ironic really.

HOLA4423
26 minutes ago, FANG said:

31st JANUARY 2020

Aye. The deed will be done. But the  deal will need finalising.

Enjoy that cold beer!

HOLA4424
56 minutes ago, FANG said:

31st JANUARY 2020

Yes it will be, but not the one you wish for and and definitely not the one you were promised.

HOLA4425

The Irish Prime Minister has told BBC News he believes the EU will have the upper hand in the upcoming trade talks with the UK.

Leo Varadkar compared the two sides to football teams, suggesting the EU would have the "stronger team" due to its larger population and market.

He also suggested that Britain misjudged the first phase of Brexit.

It comes as the Taoiseach is due to meet the EU's chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, in Dublin.

In an interview with BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg, days before Britain is due to leave the EU, Mr Varadkar also warned against any attempt by the UK to get a "piecemeal" deal with the EU.

"When I hear people talk about piecemeal, it sounds a bit like cake and eat," he said.

"That isn't something that will fly in Europe."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51260282