House Price Crash Forum

Telegraph: If you’re under 50, it’s time to jump ship – get out of Britain while you can

HOLA441
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
42 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

I wrote to my Tory MP about Tory housing policy. He replied, saying he wasn't going to be drawn into an exchange with me since my email was obviously copy and pasted from a Shelter press release (it wasn't)

Interesting.

I would be very, very curious as to why his instinct is to ignore / discount any message that appears to reflect the views of Shelter. Is it because they are are a charity that seeks to protect the legal rights and interests of tenants and the homeless? Or some other reason?

Are you willing to provide the name of your MP and the text of your initial contact?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
13 hours ago, skomer said:

But which country would you go to? The only one mentioned in that article I’d be interested in would be Denmark.
Australia and Ireland two of my preferred alternatives have housing problems as bad , if not worse in the case of Ireland, than the UK.

I have met many Americans recently, either where I work or holidaying in UK/Europe that are now actively considering a plan B in case Trump gets elected… many of them are looking at UK !

I am certainly enjoying life in Denmark and things are prospering, house prices are moderating and houses are about twice the size.

HOLA448
15 hours ago, Notting Hell said:

Telegraph: If you’re under 50, it’s time to jump ship – get out of Britain while you can

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/17/under-50-time-jump-ship-leave-britain/

https://archive.ph/KwLlj

It is remarkable that a paper that has largely had things the way it wants for decades does not consider what got us here. It wanted low wages, high asset prices and the young being shat on. Now it is upset that we have low wages, high asset prices and the young being shat on.

HOLA449
15 hours ago, skomer said:

I have met many Americans recently, either where I work or holidaying in UK/Europe that are now actively considering a plan B in case Trump gets elected… many of them are looking at UK !

They think the US has improved under Biden in the last 2.5 years? If so, I guess they could always move to those Democrat utopias like San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, New York or Philadelphia.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
55 minutes ago, Gbob said:

A guy I know is moving to Australia next year. Says house prices are high there too in the popular cities but cheaper outside and he has scope to earn more money over there.

It's weird when you work elsewhere. I worked in Japan for 4 years and moved with a roughly 25% wage cut, but wanted to just "try the experience"

Turns out it wasn't a wage cut at the end of each month. For example, you can rent a 1 bed flat in the Tokyo equivalent of zone 1/2 for a grand a month AND it's paid BEFORE tax. And all your transport costs get expensed... I ended up saving much more than I was in the UK (even after sending it back)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

If property prices and rents reasonable and food and energy cheaper, climate fair and people friendly towards immigrants or newcomers, why need to earn as much.......what matters is what have left from a salary after all fixed costs of living, it may well be better than what got left from the money earned living here?;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Meanwhile, in other countries, they want to come here.

Exactly.

I wonder how old the people who write these articles are and whether they've actually been to any other countries - either for business or holidays.

I'd much prefer the state we're in now to the 1970's and 1980's. The country really was a sh@thole then (except a few nice areas in the South East of course). 

Yes, you could then buy a house for £9k. Most of our housing issues are down to the fact that we have 15-20million more people in the country. Similar issues in most other countries where you'd want to live. Yes, infrastructure is creaking, same everywhere.

Globally, population has doubled in my lifetime.

I don't understand how the UK always gets lambasted for the lack of productivity either. I work in a large global company. I deal with people in the US and India daily - and they are staggeringly more inefficient than the UK workers. The US guys get 2-3 times more pay. The Indian guys are cheaper but generally it takes 4-5 of them to do the same work as 1 person in the UK.

I went to the Caribbean last year. Lovely if you're in an all inclusive resort being served by people paid a couple of dollars a day. Step outside into the real country and see the thousands of "construction day workers" hanging around at 6/7am at every major road intersection to see if they've got any work today to feed their families.

I've been to countries in central Asia, where you constantly get "fined" by the police (basically bribes).

Like most countries, the US is great if you have money and a job. Not so great if you're skint.

France - lovely country, but, it shuts at 5pm, and increasingly expensive. Used to be cheap to go on holiday there, now food, fuel, eating out is extortionate. Again, like us, they have an aging workforce and infrastructure (motorways are great, but carry a lot less cars per km compared to crowded UK).

If the NHS is so rubbish and inefficient, how come BUPA etc don't offer heart transplants? They're good at doing the easy things of course.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
53 minutes ago, BobAJob3 said:

Exactly.

I wonder how old the people who write these articles are and whether they've actually been to any other countries - either for business or holidays.

I'd much prefer the state we're in now to the 1970's and 1980's. The country really was a sh@thole then (except a few nice areas in the South East of course). 

Yes, you could then buy a house for £9k. Most of our housing issues are down to the fact that we have 15-20million more people in the country. Similar issues in most other countries where you'd want to live. Yes, infrastructure is creaking, same everywhere.

I don't understand how the UK always gets lambasted for the lack of productivity either. I work in a large global company. I deal with people in the US and India daily - and they are staggeringly more inefficient than the UK workers. The US guys get 2-3 times more pay. The Indian guys are cheaper but generally it takes 4-5 of them to do the same work as 1 person in the UK.

I went to the Caribbean last year. Lovely if you're in an all inclusive resort being served by people paid a couple of dollars a day. Step outside into the real country and see the thousands of "construction day workers" hanging around at 6/7am at every major road intersection to see if they've got any work today to feed their families.

I've been to countries in central Asia, where you constantly get "fined" by the police (basically bribes).

Like most countries, the US is great if you have money and a job. Not so great if you're skint.

France - lovely country, but, it shuts at 5pm, and increasingly expensive. Used to be cheap to go on holiday there, now food, fuel, eating out is extortionate. Again, like us, they have an aging workforce and infrastructure (motorways are great, but carry a lot less cars per km compared to crowded UK).

If the NHS is so rubbish and inefficient, how come BUPA etc don't offer heart transplants? They're good at doing the easy things of course.

We have always encouraged people to move here, we still do.

So things have got better since we joined the common market, I agree.

Infrastructure is not creaking everywhere, not invested in it, and the private sector that purchased it from us has let it run down asking for subsidy to keep it running, our roads are not the best they could be either....and we have not built enough homes, now new wealth and easy money can be borrowed one family want two homes, city and country. Thousands of houses are left empty and not updated so that they can be used as homes.

Productivity generally is better if holding a carrot not a stick......or proportioning blame.

Agree with the US.....don't want to be poor there or sick if are poor.

....or would want to be in a country where justice takes a bribe.

France is a nice country like we are.....plenty of places where things shut down at 5pm, depends where you are.....

The NHS is not as good as it was, being run down......if need a simple easier non urgent operation the low hanging fruit the wait is so long now they hope you give up and pay privately, borrow the money to get it fixed.

Many now are looking overseas to compare prices, safety and service.....private procedures of excellence can be done two hours plane ride away.....do your own research.....a competitive world.;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Taxes are extremely high and the value for money is frankly appealing. I know people in Germany and France, different systems and they pay for it apparently, but everything from health to childcare seems to be in a better shape. 

The housing market is a joke. 

Yes I think a lot of people will leave depending on how things develop. Honestly, someone without skills here might have better chances of doing something in their life moving to Australia and picking fruits for 2 years in a remote farm rather than staying here and working 16h in a tesco on benefits. 

I have met several of these low-skilled workers who understood that there’s no future for them in Britain. Last one a Jew who was working at the till of the canteen in my office who told me he was about to move to Israel to start a new life. 

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
13 minutes ago, winkie said:

We have always encouraged people to move here, we still do.

So things have got better since we joined the common market, I agree.

Infrastructure is not creaking everywhere, not invested in it, and the private sector that purchased it from us has let it run down asking for subsidy to keep it running, our roads are not the best they could be either....and we have not built enough homes, now new wealth and easy money can be borrowed one family want two homes, city and country. Thousands of houses are left empty and not updated so that they can be used as homes.

Productivity generally is better if holding a carrot not a stick......or proportioning blame.

Agree with the US.....don't want to be poor there or sick if are poor.

....or would want to be in a country where justice takes a bribe.

France is a nice country like we are.....plenty of places where things shut down at 5pm, depends where you are.....

The NHS is not as good as it was, being run down......if need a simple easier non urgent operation the low hanging fruit the wait is so long now they hope you give up and pay privately, borrow the money to get it fixed.

Many now are looking overseas to compare prices, safety and service.....private procedures of excellence can be done two hours plane ride away.....do your own research.....a competitive world.;)

"confidence taken in by a suntan and a grin"...describes the last 15 years of UK politics in a single phrase

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, BobAJob3 said:

Exactly.

I agree with 90% of what you are saying 

HOLA4425

The UK productivity issue is real and data and numbers show what the reality is. With all due respect, but a personal experience cannot change what the numbers are. Productivity is stagnant and wages are stagnant too. This is an old problem that was somehow kept at bay during the Blair years and a rampant fin sector. The economy hasn’t gone anywhere in the last 15 years. 

Yes, the UK is in a much better shape than Jamaica, but for all heaven’s sake, we should compare ourselves with different countries and not third world nations. 

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK