House Price Crash Forum

The Guardian: Why the Covid Race for Space Went Sour for Homebuyers

Smith

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

“Claire and her husband James, who did not want to give their full names, upsized from their three-bedroom mid-terrace former council house in central Hertfordshire to a £600,000 five-bed in a Cambridgeshire town in spring 2021, in the belief that mortgage rates would remain low. “We stretched our budget to move to our dream house. Monthly payments have just increased by £370, after we rushed to re-fix for five years at just under 4% in November,” Claire says.”

The salary multiple here barely adds up, unless they had a massive deposit. In which case they are pleading poverty and will be quite ok. Someone smarter than me could work out their loan amount and LTV based on that increase.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
5 minutes ago, Stjames83 said:

Edit - forgot to quote the part stating they have a household income of 60k.

That wouldn’t qualify for the 5.5 rates so let’s say absolute max loan would have been about 280k.

Someone is fibbing.

Yeah, they cant have that big a mortgage.

They presumably took out the initial one at about 1%. Going from 1% to 4% is roughly 40% increase in repayments, so the £370 increase corresponds to an original loan of £245k (all assuming 25yrs). 40% LTV.

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, Smith said:

Barbara and John put their home on the market last month, and have already had to reduce the price. “We are likely now to make a loss upon sale. We are so angry and upset with the government that we have ended up here.”

If their house price had gone up in value would they be thanking the government and handing over their profits on sale to fund the NHS. I think not!

This is one effect of Covid and the financial crash etc since 2008 - when you succeed it’s all thanks to you and your efforts but when things go sour it’s the government’s fault and perhaps you even expect a bailout.

If only Tory MPs hadn’t dumped Liz Truss we might even be seeing a bigger house price crash now!! Which I assume most people posting on this site want to see?!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA449
10 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

If their house price had gone up in value would they be thanking the government and handing over their profits on sale to fund the NHS. I think not!

This is one effect of Covid and the financial crash etc since 2008 - when you succeed it’s all thanks to you and your efforts but when things go sour it’s the government’s fault and perhaps you even expect a bailout.

If only Tory MPs hadn’t dumped Liz Truss we might even be seeing a bigger house price crash now!! Which I assume most people posting on this site want to see?!

I think this is the divide. You see a house price crash coming with working people getting poorer and put in their place as morally overdue. Others think houses should be more affordable to ordinary people.

HOLA4410

Just think how salty they'll be next month :lol:

The Graun have been horrible rampers for decades, and it's nice to hear them squeak a little now. More stories of how people defied the 'can't lose with bricks and mortar' meme can only help the cause. Cheers Big G!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Might just add up if they sold mortgage free at the very top of the market and borrowed to the absolute max with some savings and/or inheritance thrown in.

But why would anyone voluntarily exchange secure tenure and a war chest for a big mortgage & nothing to fall back on?

Sounds unlikely..

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Faster but not bigger IMHO

High rates and lower taxes would have increased the velocity so we would have quickly had a big fall and people would have had more money to by the repos.

We are now trying to keep folk in their houses by being prudent.. morally right ..... put you cannot taper a ponzi.  This is not for our benefit its for the benefit of our creditors in the main thats why to me Rishi feels like the IMF man dropped on the UK to sort us out on our creditors behalf.

We are now going to get pay rises and be pushed into the higher taxes and thresholds not moving with inflation.

So i think it will be worse but over a longer period

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The level of entitlement here is staggering. As other have said, none of these home owners were volunteering to hand over their unearnt profits from house price increases to the government. So why are they outrage that they don't get a bailout for their losses?

As for complaints that the banks shouldn't have given them these loans they can no longer afford. Can you imagine how much they would have whined if the banks had refused, at the height of Sunaks bubble, to lend them the money?

HOLA4424
6 hours ago, bartelbe said:

The level of entitlement here is staggering. As other have said, none of these home owners were volunteering to hand over their unearnt profits from house price increases to the government. So why are they outrage that they don't get a bailout for their losses?

As for complaints that the banks shouldn't have given them these loans they can no longer afford. Can you imagine how much they would have whined if the banks had refused, at the height of Sunaks bubble, to lend them the money?

I'm pretty sure you could find examples on Mumsnet and even the mainstream press of people whingeing the bank wouldn't lend them enough.

And here we are: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/dec/23/how-can-we-get-a-mortgage-thats-more-than-35-times-our-income

HOLA4425