House Price Crash Forum

.....................has anyone nipped over to Mumsnet, to see what they think?

HOLA441
5 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

Couldn`t have put it better myself.

How about this

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/66499895/?search_identifier=d44d265ec3facf2e3309d02a1fd17b436e0fb78a252241295f5851ead7674e3e

for £227K which is £168K cheaper and only half a mile away

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

That place has had a lot of owners in the last 15 years, They have only been there 2 years , I like the workshop , the bathrooms nice, dont like the stone floors or what looks like electric heating.

HOLA443
HOLA444
3 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Post it on MN, they will just come back with "Not as good an area" blah blah

I do wonder about Eliteism this property also seems more sturdy, I think they bought at the wrong time, I have come across people that purchased a house and it shot up in value most people who purchased in the last 4 years will crying, and for flats i would say 10 years

HOLA445
7 minutes ago, shlomo said:

I do wonder about Eliteism this property also seems more sturdy, I think they bought at the wrong time, I have come across people that purchased a house and it shot up in value most people who purchased in the last 4 years will crying, and for flats i would say 10 years

I think more than 4 for houses, it is all about interest rates and the bottom rung unless you are looking at markets with very unique properties where people with money/equity will overpay for a specific house/area/view.

HOLA446

Mortgage is crippling us 

214 replies

Bluebell136 · Yesterday 20:04

Hi everyone. I sit here typing this in utter despair. In a nutshell, we are struggling to pay our mortgage.
A little background first.
My husband lost his job in 2010 so we went on interest only which I paid with my part-time wages and help from family. My husband then lost his sister, Dad and mum within a few years of the other leading him to suffer terribly mentally and turn to drink. He got working again but fast forward to now and we are still on interest only. But due to the interest rate increase, our payments have gone from £300 a month to just over £1000. We have no spare money for anything nice; we are just existing. He is working a quite well paid job and I’m part-time but this day and age means nothing due to this Dickensian style of living forced onto many of us. Even if we were to sell the house, we could not afford anything smaller due to now bad credit from when my husband was out of work and credit card debt built up. Renting would cost exactly the same too where we live. I have nightmares when I do manage to sleep that we’re homeless, which I have an awful feeling will happen or end up renting in an area that is a no go area in our town due to crime and rife drug users.
I cry every single day about the state we are in and now suicidal thoughts are creeping in too. On paper we bring in £4000 a month between us but have so many other things to pay out and my husband is self employed builder so his wages var

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/cost_of_living/5050232-mortgage-is-crippling-us

HOLA447
24 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

Who'd be a home"owner" eh? ;)

Also, 4 effing grand a month, 1k on the mortgage and they're still struggling? Wind up maybe?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
5 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

The thread is deleted now. I got far enough into it to see that she really didn't seem to know how mortgages work. She was keen to get off their interest only and start a repayment, but why not just invest some money each month of that's the case? Seemed pretty clueless.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

19 hours ago, yodigo said:

Yep. She "skips meals" but says they have Sky TV?? Look like trolls to me.

sounds spot on to me.

I live on a council estate out my window i see a sea of sky dishes, but my wifes school has had to set up its own food bank, and clothing bank.

I didn't see the full OP on mumsnet but it seemed realistic enough to me. Family on an IO mortgage sees their repayments more than treble (and certainly other bills including energy). Before that they "feel" rich, they think they clear £4k a month but that's probably before tax, the self employed husbands tax bills probably caught them out after he stopped working consistently. 

Sky will be one of the contracts they cant get out offor fear of damaging their credit rating further. 

Recently I've heard a lot about the "precarious middle class" and how they will suffer even worse than the working class in a future recession . The working class know how to "work the system" but the middle class don't, and to an extent don't want to. The middle class follow the rules to the letter. They apply for their benefits and wait , they don't lie or exaggerate their circumstances on the forms, they don't want to take any "extra" payments on offer for the really hard up. On the contrary the working class see the benefits system as a game to be played for the biggest prizes. 

For example when i was 19 i had a friend who would take out store cards. He would say to you "let me know if theres anything you want in debenhams, i'll buy it for you and you with this store card and you can pay me the cash- youll be doing me a favour". He would keep the cash and default on the card. i would never dream of doing that, not least because it would have hammered my credit score, but to him that was just a way to make store cards "work" in the most profitable way. 

Its a broad generalisation, but pushing down the middle class into the working class is like taking a tame animal that's been in captivity its whole life and setting it free in the wild. It has the basic life skills, but its doesn't have the nuanced skills that help it go from surviving to thriving in its new situation.

HOLA4413
36 minutes ago, regprentice said:

sounds spot on to me.

I live on a council estate out my window i see a sea of sky dishes, but my wifes school has had to set up its own food bank, and clothing bank.

I didn't see the full OP on mumsnet but it seemed realistic enough to me. Family on an IO mortgage sees their repayments more than treble (and certainly other bills including energy). Before that they "feel" rich, they think they clear £4k a month but that's probably before tax, the self employed husbands tax bills probably caught them out after he stopped working consistently. 

Sky will be one of the contracts they cant get out offor fear of damaging their credit rating further. 

Recently I've heard a lot about the "precarious middle class" and how they will suffer even worse than the working class in a future recession . The working class know how to "work the system" but the middle class don't, and to an extent don't want to. The middle class follow the rules to the letter. They apply for their benefits and wait , they don't lie or exaggerate their circumstances on the forms, they don't want to take any "extra" payments on offer for the really hard up. On the contrary the working class see the benefits system as a game to be played for the biggest prizes. 

For example when i was 19 i had a friend who would take out store cards. He would say to you "let me know if theres anything you want in debenhams, i'll buy it for you and you with this store card and you can pay me the cash- youll be doing me a favour". He would keep the cash and default on the card. i would never dream of doing that, not least because it would have hammered my credit score, but to him that was just a way to make store cards "work" in the most profitable way. 

Its a broad generalisation, but pushing down the middle class into the working class is like taking a tame animal that's been in captivity its whole life and setting it free in the wild. It has the basic life skills, but its doesn't have the nuanced skills that help it go from surviving to thriving in its new situation.

Great post.

Status symbols are different for the WC compared to the MC too. I think the current MC have got rather fat and complacent with two cars on HP etc going in to the new financial era

HOLA4414

Quite right! Sellers should get the price they want. Cutting it to meet the wishes of stingy buyers is ridiculous. The seller can't see what's wrong. I can. They haven't paid Rightmove for a "Premium Listing" badge.

"All agents want you to reduce the price so that they can get their commission ASAP; it's the most basic rule of sales. We started at £475k, market dropped quickly so we went down to £450k; seemed reasonable. We were then persuaded to try £425k - apparently this total of £50k drop would attract lots of people. ............ So clearly there is something wrong with the house that we can't see.".........."We all need like a Phil Spencer type!! The expectation to just reduce the price over and over to no end is ridiculous."

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/property/5054362-when-to-change-ea?flipped=1

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

This poster gets it:

BraveToaster · Yesterday 10:24

@rainingsnoring is right. It doesn't matter if your house is the cheapest 3 bed-semi and priced the same as terraced houses. If nothing is selling it means all those properties are priced too high. It's not as if you're selling a semi for the price of a terrace, because clearly that's not the correct price for a terrace if they haven't sold.

Edited by fellow

HOLA4417

Sometimes it could be other factors like the house being too cluttered,

I can assure Twiglets1 that unless the house was being sold "including all contents", 'clutter' will form no part of my buying thoughts.

She does seem to get it here though....

I do feel this house is likely to be overpriced though as it has been on since July.

and then loses it right after.

But it’s not just the price as @Thislittlepiggywenttotheestateagents house has attracted quite a few viewings. The issue seems to be converting the viewings into a sale.

You don't say :lol:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Orb said:

^^

She's not wrong though. There is something wrong with the house that she cannot see.

That'd be the price. 

The agent secure the listing and is now walking the price down. Charlie has much to say on the subject. Sellers lose money. For the agent, it is just a bit of extra dusting aging pictures in their window. 

HOLA4420
6 hours ago, Huggy said:

I can assure Twiglets1 that unless the house was being sold "including all contents", 'clutter' will form no part of my buying thoughts.

She does seem to get it here though....

and then loses it right after.

You don't say :lol:

Twiglets was busy posting articles that were talking about "6 or more rate cuts!" earlier in the year, they have probably gone a bit quiet on that now, LOL.

HOLA4421
9 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Twiglets was busy posting articles that were talking about "6 or more rate cuts!" earlier in the year, they have probably gone a bit quiet on that now, LOL.

Lol! Twiglets is @Stewy then? I thought I recognised that forced optimism somewhere 🫣

HOLA4422
1 minute ago, Huggy said:

Lol! Twiglets is @Stewy then? I thought I recognised that forced optimism somewhere 🫣

Twiglets likes to quote "experts" a lot (I used to tell them that a lot of these "experts" are VI`s or work for VI`s and just want mugs to keep borrowing, they didn`t like that) Stewy tends to make pronouncements and predictions that are their own thoughts, but there is a strong element of wind-up, Twiglets doesn`t have the wind-up approach to HPC, they try to fake it but deep down you can tell they really don`t like the HPC website community and the idea of a property price correction (but they seem very familiar with this website at the same time) If I was to take a punt on Stewy being an old troll from here or MSE though I would go for Hamish, that was the Uber Troll who watched his home town of Aberdeen crash first and crash hardest, LOL.

HOLA4423
12 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

Twiglets likes to quote "experts" a lot (I used to tell them that a lot of these "experts" are VI`s or work for VI`s and just want mugs to keep borrowing, they didn`t like that) Stewy tends to make pronouncements and predictions that are their own thoughts, but there is a strong element of wind-up, Twiglets doesn`t have the wind-up approach to HPC, they try to fake it but deep down you can tell they really don`t like the HPC website community and the idea of a property price correction (but they seem very familiar with this website at the same time) If I was to take a punt on Stewy being an old troll from here or MSE though I would go for Hamish, that was the Uber Troll who watched his home town of Aberdeen crash first and crash hardest, LOL.

I remember Hamish from theforumthatcannotbenamed - I didn't realise he had ever posted here.

He was quite similar to Stewy.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Timm said:

I remember Hamish from theforumthatcannotbenamed - I didn't realise he had ever posted here.

He was quite similar to Stewy.

People often refer to this particular forum and I still have no idea what it is?

HOLA4425