House Price Crash Forum

I pay £320pm for Gas/electricity from Scottishpower a new contract would be £870pm

HOLA441

I pay £320pm for Gas/electricity from Scottishpower a new contract would be £870pm, 1 year fixed energy price.

That new price would break me.

We have a lot of pain coming...

gas-vs-electric-image_2_.png

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
6 minutes ago, shlomo said:

I pay £320pm for Gas/electricity from Scottishpower a new contract would be £870pm, 1 year fixed energy price.

This is were it all starts getting real. No more unicorns, no more fantasy, no more you can eat jam tomorrow. This....is...it!

HOLA443

I've noticed a few houses that had sold coming back on the market in the last week or so, almost as if reality is starting to hit home with some people. Can all these people that have bought big detached houses afford to heat them ? There was a family on local news tonight saying they couldn't afford to pay their heating bills which had gone from £700 to £2000 a year, yet they'd bought a £500K detached house recently ...

HOLA444

Our 2020 deal was £120 per month, though in October 2021 i begrudgingly signed a 2 year deal at £160.

I’ve been doing comparisons regularly to track how prices are rocketing. They had doubled by Feb, however tonight the cheapest deal is £500 per month!!!!

HOLA445
1 minute ago, Pmax2020 said:

Our 2020 deal was £120 per month, though in October 2021 i begrudgingly signed a 2 year deal at £160.

I’ve been doing comparisons regularly to track how prices are rocketing. They had doubled by Feb, however tonight the cheapest deal is £500 per month!!!!

If you had not signed the deal for £160pm then you would be on £500pm, that is more than a £100pw

HOLA446
1 hour ago, shlomo said:

Is that your monthly payment by DD? If so, it sounds a lot, mine's half that.

HOLA447
Just now, shlomo said:

If you had not signed the deal for £160pm then you would be on £500pm, that is more than a £100pw

Totally. I hold my hands up that when I signed the £160 deal it was at a point when I didn’t fully understand prices could rise as much as they have.

Ive always sought competitive prices annually for things like energy and I heard it was going up. I recall the £60 Sainsburys vouchers and £0 exit fees being the deal-breaker otherwise I may have stayed put and regretted it.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Because we signed a deal last year we have some breathing space - but we’ve still tried to be very canny with our usage. Both WFH, and er, we’ve literally sat with duvets over ourselves at times whilst working. 

We live in a reasonably sized Victorian house that gets cold 15 minutes after the heating shuts down but it doesn’t feel right having it running for 8-10 hours a day.

Its been an incredibly mild winter this year too which has helped. 

HOLA4412

This will cost people their jobs. And not just in the energy dependent industrial sector. The cost of heat and electricity for a large place of work, previously a small percentage of annual budget, will now be the same as a full time staff members wage. I am thinking about schools, nursing homes, hospitals, nurseries which have a fixed budget.

HOLA4413

Jesus - that is a lot domestic energy. Do you have a lot of hydroponics ?

Or were you the fella who was running an unregistered catering business from home ?  

Anyway, that’s a lot of domestic energy.  Time to think about turning the thermostat down and buying some woolly pullies. 

HOLA4414
52 minutes ago, nothernsoul said:

This will cost people their jobs. And not just in the energy dependent industrial sector. The cost of heat and electricity for a large place of work, previously a small percentage of annual budget, will now be the same as a full time staff members wage. I am thinking about schools, nursing homes, hospitals, nurseries which have a fixed budget.

I was just watching a news clip from a few weeks back on youtube. A retired guy with a free travel pass said he could not afford to heat his home so spent most of the day travelling on buses and trains to keep warm. As I was watching it I though how long before transport turns off the heating , then I went on to think about the places you have mentioned. 

HOLA4415

There's still people here with their heads in the sand, I said around 2020/1 that we had gone past the point of this bubble being about a house price crash and something more akin to an societal meltdown. There's nowhere to run from this. Someone was asking why I was so angry when I'm well off, they're about to find out what happens when a large percentage of society can't meet their basic needs. What do  you think is going to happen when Europe gets cut off from Russia?

Edited by sta100

HOLA4416
5 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I can't find my exact usage, but my current fixed price tariff (taken out in February this year) costs just under £150 a month until end of June 2023 and if I were to change now it would rise to £335 a month fixed until May 2023. Last year I was paying £85 a month on DD.

Last year you were on £85pm now you would be on £335 that is a phenomenal rise.

I have never thought of myself as poor but….

HOLA4417

Some of the price rises o am hearing about must have an effect, surely?

It wasn't until relatively recently that people were able give such a large part of their budget to housing and services (leisure/consumer goods).

I think about 200 years ago, people spent about 70% of their income on food.  Imagine what the economy would look like if we were spending 70% of our income on food and energy.  It would be brutal for many industries!!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
6 hours ago, Guillotine said:

Jesus - that is a lot domestic energy. Do you have a lot of hydroponics ?

Or were you the fella who was running an unregistered catering business from home ?  

Anyway, that’s a lot of domestic energy.  Time to think about turning the thermostat down and buying some woolly pullies. 

It’s difficult when you have a young family though. I could wrap up or even go for a run but when the house is cold for a a few hours before the kids go to school/nursery, what do you do? Once the wee boy is at school our usage will probably drop 30%.

On the bus thing - I have an uncle who’s a driver and he’s spoken of lonely pensioners routinely getting on his buses for company and heat in the winter. Not many, just the odd person over the years. I’m sure that’ll increase.

HOLA4420

There are many thousands of people in this country who budget down to pennies. On this forum we’re exceptionally fortunate to be griping about buying houses - HOUSES.

If people make it through summer, the October rises will break them.

Every single local election campaigner who door knocks you need to be firm about these rises being key. 

Sunak needs to shake the money tree hard. 

Separately, I have long extolled the virtues of unloved UK 60s/70s houses in terms of heating and insulation. Very glad I live in an easily heated small home and don’t rely on my car. 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

There are many thousands of people in this country who budget down to pennies. On this forum we’re exceptionally fortunate to be griping about buying houses - HOUSES.

If people make it through summer, the October rises will break them.

Every single local election campaigner who door knocks you need to be firm about these rises being key. 

Sunak needs to shake the money tree hard. 

Separately, I have long extolled the virtues of unloved UK 60s/70s houses in terms of heating and insulation. Very glad I live in an easily heated small home and don’t rely on my car. 

Other countries have seen petrol and diesel rise, but nobody has had the 54% rise we have had in heating, lighting and cooking prices, electricity, gas and oil.....the standing charges increases is the icing on the cake of what will be huge worry and anxiety of the population....;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
24 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I agree, I live in a small 1970's house, with most of the facilities (shops, supermarket, swimming pool, gym, railway station) within walking distance.  

Some of the household energy bills reported here are eye-watering.  There again, Buck House is going to be expensive.  Perhaps the valet's under-footman will have to go.

Some of my older relatives with their big Victorian houses will really struggle.