House Price Crash Forum

Will Russia invade Ukraine and what happens if it escalates with NATO/US getting involved

coypondboy

HOLA441
  • Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staffsknot

• Si1

• rollover

• pig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Just now, byron78 said:

The neo Nazis in Ukraine got less than 2% of their vote.

Our far right parties over here usually get more (and bloody France even more again).

I'm almost certain Putin probably has funded extremist and Nazi groups in Ukraine as he's done that everywhere, but it didn't seem to take off quite as he hoped over there.

Note the eerie silence on Putin from most of the UK's "patriotic" extremist groups. Pathetic, sad, and a bit worrying tbh.

I agree with all of this

HOLA443
3 hours ago, Joris Bohnson said:

Moldova is complicated though, it has a breakaway (Russian backed) state on its eastern periphery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria, although so far they have remained 'neutral'. One would expect that to change when Odessa falls.

How do you think Moldova will change if Odessa falls 

HOLA444
49 minutes ago, Grayphil said:

While it's evident, that intergrating a neo Nazi brigade into the Armed forces Is clearly a bad idea for the reasons we now see.

But for Putin to say that he is trying to rid the Ukraine of Neo Nazis is laughable, not only to mention he has his own state sponsored private Neo Nazi army who were used to keep the conflict going in Donbas for the last 8 years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagner_Group

Wagner are mercenary group, there's a few of them knocking about but Wagner have best links back to FSB.

They are like America's Private Contractor groups - unaccountable and revel in notoriety. Hence use overseas by states as NSAGs.

A US contractor told me he could make me disappear in Iraq when we stopped them at a checkpoint and I wanted to know who they were. 

HOLA445
23 minutes ago, miguel said:

Yeah Putins UK henchmen. What's that mush Arron Banks up to these days? 

We may not have heard the last on him. Might take getting the corrupt Putinesque Tories out of power first though. 

Anyone know what Dominic Cummings thoughts are? He of the almighty precious Brex_hit that must never be criticised as being one of Putin’s foundations in this attack on Europe. 

HOLA446
21 minutes ago, NorthamptonBear said:

I'll bite 

Is Steele even credible or reliable?

The central allegations, that Trump conspired with the Kremlin to win the 2016 election and that Russia had compromising information on him, were given a veneer of credibility because they originated from a retired British spy, Christopher Steele, who had a solid reputation.
But five years later, the credibility of the dossier has significantly diminished.
A series of investigations and lawsuits have discredited many of its central allegations and exposed the unreliability of Steele's sources. They also raise serious questions about the political underpinnings of some key explosive claims about Trump by shedding new light on the involvement of some well-connected Democrats in the dossier, and separate efforts to prod the FBI to investigate ties between Trump's campaign and Russia.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/18/politics/steele-dossier-reckoning/index.html

Edited by DarkHorseWaits-NoMore
typo

HOLA447

The airstrike on Yavoriv airbase was where NATO trained Ukranian instructors were training people on anti-tank and MANPADS.

This was Putin's comment on supplies being targeted - NATO trainers have used that facility although no reports on current activity.

Georgia & Moldova are also receiving Russian refugees fleeing from being conscripted/ not wanting to be part of the war. It is making a few locals nervous

HOLA448
26 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

The airstrike on Yavoriv airbase was where NATO trained Ukranian instructors were training people on anti-tank and MANPADS.

This was Putin's comment on supplies being targeted - NATO trainers have used that facility although no reports on current activity.

Indeed. I wonder if it's a staging point for all the western weapons being transferred into Ukraine. Surely they would disperse them PDQ to make sure they weren't vulnerable to Russian attack...???

26 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Georgia & Moldova are also receiving Russian refugees fleeing from being conscripted/ not wanting to be part of the war. It is making a few locals nervous

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

Is Steele even credible or reliable?

Yes. Next. You ask a question, sowing doubt but provide no argument. [Edit: either you edited or I didn't see it initially. We'll know more info soon.]

What happens to Putin's little helpers when Putin falls, info leaks out? Presumably the money isn't getting out of Russia now and anyone stupid enough to take it will be easily identified via tech like Palantir. They've spent years working on Iranian efforts to avoid sanctions, this will be directed at Russia now and after 12+ years, it's very mature and effective. Inputs to Palantir include a wide selection of sources.

Edited by NorthamptonBear

HOLA4411
2 minutes ago, NorthamptonBear said:

Yes. Next. You ask a question, sowing doubt but provide no argument.

What happens to Putin's little helpers when Putin falls, info leaks out? Presumably the money isn't getting out of Russia now and anyone stupid enough to take it will be easily identified via tech like Palantir. They've spent years working on Iranian efforts to avoid sanctions, this will be directed at Russia now and after 12+ years, it's very mature and effective. Inputs to Palantir include a wide selection of sources.

When Putin’s little helpers stop being paid this website will get a damn sight more relevant and on point. Until then expect them to freely continue to sow their daily seeds of hatred, lies, and misinformation. 

HOLA4412

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/ukraine-russia-war-armenia-azerbaijan-nagorno-karabakh-where-was-empathy/

Where was the outpouring of empathy when my country was at war?

As an Armenian, I feel our pain was ignored. And my trauma means I’m struggling to empathise as I should with Ukraine today

From empathy into heartlessness

As soon as I got the news, I put myself in the shoes of every Ukrainian. I really felt for them. I imagined young people in love, with big plans for the future or for their wedding day, who will not live to see them happen. It is heartbreaking.

But empathy was just the first reaction I had this morning. It was followed by something different: a pang of what I would describe as heartlessness. I suppose this is a product of trauma.

I remembered being in almost exactly the same situation in Armenia, but with a slight difference. The world was not supporting us. It was just watching our pain in silence.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m genuinely happy to see how the international community is supporting Ukraine, how people in different countries are protesting in the streets, how millions are adding the Ukrainian flag to their profiles on social media. But this unity and empathy feels so different from what I experienced in 2020.

Thousands of young people aged 18 to 20 died in Armenia and Azerbaijan barely two years ago. And I don’t recall much international solidarity happening then.

Please, spare me explanations about the differences between wars. War is war. It’s a tragedy. It means being able to smell death. It’s mourning a parent and a partner. It’s an evil that takes away your sleep and your laughter. It’s an invisible pain in your heart. Let’s not talk about geopolitics here.

What really shocks me is the hypocrisy. How can this be the same world, the same society, the same media? Where were they when people in another part of the world were fighting for 44 days during the pandemic?

HOLA4413
6 minutes ago, shlomo said:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/ukraine-russia-war-armenia-azerbaijan-nagorno-karabakh-where-was-empathy/

As an Armenian, I feel our pain was ignored. And my trauma means I’m struggling to empathise as I should with Ukraine today

As soon as I got the news, I put myself in the shoes of every Ukrainian. I really felt for them. I imagined young people in love, with big plans for the future or for their wedding day, who will not live to see them happen. It is heartbreaking.

But empathy was just the first reaction I had this morning. It was followed by something different: a pang of what I would describe as heartlessness. I suppose this is a product of trauma.

I remembered being in almost exactly the same situation in Armenia, but with a slight difference. The world was not supporting us. It was just watching our pain in silence.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m genuinely happy to see how the international community is supporting Ukraine, how people in different countries are protesting in the streets, how millions are adding the Ukrainian flag to their profiles on social media. But this unity and empathy feels so different from what I experienced in 2020.

Thousands of young people aged 18 to 20 died in Armenia and Azerbaijan barely two years ago. And I don’t recall much international solidarity happening then.

Please, spare me explanations about the differences between wars. War is war. It’s a tragedy. It means being able to smell death. It’s mourning a parent and a partner. It’s an evil that takes away your sleep and your laughter. It’s an invisible pain in your heart. Let’s not talk about geopolitics here.

What really shocks me is the hypocrisy. How can this be the same world, the same society, the same media? Where were they when people in another part of the world were fighting for 44 days during the pandemic?

Yet again more pathetic whataboutism straight from the Kremlins playbook. The west cannot solve the worlds problems and even if it could they be accused of regime change or some other complete BS. Start your own thread on other countries if you just but this is about Ukraine. 

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Staffsknot said:

Wagner are mercenary group, there's a few of them knocking about but Wagner have best links back to FSB.

They are like America's Private Contractor groups - unaccountable and revel in notoriety. Hence use overseas by states as NSAGs.

A US contractor told me he could make me disappear in Iraq when we stopped them at a checkpoint and I wanted to know who they were. 

Yeah, I had heard rumours about this group around the time of Crimea.

I thought it was more of a conspiracy, but I was quite surprised to see the Donbas etc being stirred up by this group training/supplying the seperatists.

I realise I have over simplfied things, but the Kremlin Propoganda doesn't mention these and neither does Ukraine on fire documentary that sucked so many in.

HOLA4415
30 minutes ago, shlomo said:

My reaction is different to Mr CC.

Indeed, my reaction to the trouble in Ukraine was stronger than to the trouble in Armenia and Azerbaijan and I cannot start to justify that, other than it was not a choice. I am also aware that the west like to have its own pointless wars every now and then.

That said, I do agree with Mr CC in that it should not affect the choices now, and avoid the numerous and different mistakes of 1914 and 1939.

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Anyone know what Dominic Cummings thoughts are? He of the almighty precious Brex_hit that must never be criticised as being one of Putin’s foundations in this attack on Europe. 

He stated that the Tories have been financed by Putins mates for decades. There's absolutely no doubt that they are a vile filthy corrupt party. They've sold Britain out that's for sure. I'm surprised they get over 2% of the vote but masses of shtheads vote for them. 

Edited by miguel

HOLA4417
28 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Yet again more pathetic whataboutism straight from the Kremlins playbook. The west cannot solve the worlds problems and even if it could they be accused of regime change or some other complete BS. Start your own thread on other countries if you just but this is about Ukraine. 

I see what you saying if Putin commits murder and genocide then it is wrong, when this is done and dusted and the west commits murder and genocide then that is OK,

I thought you were a better man than that.

HOLA4418
14 minutes ago, shlomo said:

And given that Facebook and Insta are making hate speech exceptions for posts that call for the overthrow and execution of Vlad the Mad, are they now going to admit similar requests from the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan re. the Christer terrorist Tony Blair?

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, zugzwang said:

And given that Facebook and Insta are making hate speech exceptions for posts that call for the overthrow and execution of Vlad the Mad, are they now going to admit similar requests from the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan re. the Christer terrorist Tony Blair?

No, this only seems to be directed at Russia, not sure what their end game is I have long suspected the west is mad, as far as i can see it is wide open which side will win. 

At slightly an angle I think Uncle Xi will have to step in to help Vlad or Vlad will collapse and that will have very bad consequences for China further down the line 

HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Grayphil said:

I agree with all of this

Guido Fawkes, the Putin/Johnson connection.

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2022/03/guido-fawkes-protests-too-much.html

He meets a man from the Russian Embassy who he thinks is a spy. They go for a burger - which is absolutely a normal response to meeting someone you think is a Russian spy …

The Russian, Sergey Nalobin, pumps Guido for information. And they become friends. Exactly what anyone would do confronted by an agent of Putin, isn't it? The Russian invites him to a drinks party at the Russian embassy and then the Russians start putting money into Paul Staines' business. Totally normal”.

HOLA4421
21 minutes ago, shlomo said:

I see what you saying if Putin commits murder and genocide then it is wrong, when this is done and dusted and the west commits murder and genocide then that is OK,

I thought you were a better man than that.

I didn’t say it was okay I said start a new thread. But I know that you are being intentionally disingenuous so likely won’t. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

WARNING whataboutism has been deployed!
An attempt to diminish opinion or close down debate has occurred.

Take one of your eye patches off and see if you are able to learn something about the reality of the situation.

image.png.20c8c3739e0e56fde09a6962e0607263.png

HOLA4424
5 minutes ago, shlomo said:

No, this only seems to be directed at Russia, not sure what their end game is I have long suspected the west is mad, as far as i can see it is wide open which side will win. 

At slightly an angle I think Uncle Xi will have to step in to help Vlad or Vlad will collapse and that will have very bad consequences for China further down the line 

Help him in what way? China has offered to mediate between Rus and Ukr.

Russia's VTB bank is advertising yuan deposit accounts to its customers paying 8% interest. Clearly, there will be Chinese banks facilitating that trade.

What else can be done? The ruble has collapsed. It literally buys nothing now.

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, zugzwang said:

Help him in what way? China has offered to mediate between Rus and Ukr.

Russia's VTB bank is advertising yuan deposit accounts to its customers paying 8% interest. Clearly, there will be Chinese banks facilitating that trade.

What else can be done? The ruble has collapsed. It literally buys nothing now.

So China will be the victor of the Russia-Ukraine War, I cannot see under any circumstance Russia moving from the US Dollar to the Chinese Yuan, Unless the US bans Russia

So China becomes more powerful 

....another own goal