House Price Crash Forum

This is my first post since 2008. I'm old now.

HOLA441
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I hate that too. I always check before bothering to view. Usually an unjustifiably huge amount that adds at least £1200-1500 p/a.

This place £250 p/a. Building insurance is, as it should be, included (agents always trumpet this as some great benefit).

The same story locally to me. Typically £100/mo. Plus the cost of electric heating on some. I pay £150/yr on the mainsonette i'm in/just sold inc insurance. The difference of paying an extra £30k on a long term mortgage.

I thought it was a ploy to just get you in the property. Then I had viewings on mine and realised the agent just doesn't bother to read the file, so doesn't have a clue!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I'm thinking about getting some kind of drunk barrier.

That'll only protect you when inside. Perhaps.

Location, location...

Exactly. Unless you have a specific reason to want to live in Croydon (illegal immigrant, victim protection, odd/sadistic condition of a wealthy relative's will?).

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Been lurking and renting forever.

I put in an offer of 215K today and got accepted. Single man who only goes outside when he has to. No desire for outside space. It's near forests.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/56043180?search_identifier=088fcbcce748642cc9dbe19cfb2d8f73

Why am I an idiot?

No you're not an idiot. You have to do what is best for yourself.

Best of luck to you.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Its actually not a bad 1 bed flat as things go. I've rented far worse. The bathroom is actually quite a good size, which I think is quite rare for 1 beds. 

At the same time, I would avoid a flat like the plague myself. That said, if I were single and approaching the end date for a viable mortgage I would probably be considering it myself. 

Its circumstance related. We all know its poor value, but you have to think about where you are going to live and how you are going to pay for your accommodation in retirement. Its not an easy problem to solve and you do reach the point where you just think the risks of NOT owning outweigh the risks of doing so.

Best of luck to you.

HOLA4416

Why did you wait so long?  Why buy now of all times?  You must have a doubt to be asking.  I think at 53 you would need to be buying something and with a large deposit you should be fine, if prices drop you can still move on and up if you decide to.  

HOLA4417

Do **** off will you.

I thought house prices had gone up but only slightly in 2020? by that chart it looks like it shot up well into 2020?

Knowing that in 2020 rich have got richer and poor poorer at an accelerated rate, perhaps this price rise is due a smaller number of transactions at the very highest priced end.

HOLA4418

I thought house prices had gone up but only slightly in 2020? by that chart it looks like it shot up well into 2020?

Knowing that in 2020 rich have got richer and poor poorer at an accelerated rate, perhaps this price rise is due a smaller number of transactions at the very highest priced end.

I contacted the person responsible for the graph and they say it's legit

Royalty free drawing photos | Pikist

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

That'll only protect you when inside. Perhaps.

Exactly. Unless you have a specific reason to want to live in Croydon (illegal immigrant, victim protection, odd/sadistic condition of a wealthy relative's will?).

Croydon's a big place, the inner city bit is just one corner of it. The flat's in an ok area, I imagine a fair bit better than anywhere you could get a large 4 bed detached for £230k.  

HOLA4421

Probably down to nice places with big gardens selling and the rest not.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

With those sort of locations in mind would it be better to try somewhere nearer East Croydon? IIRC there is only one fast train to London every 30 mins.

I think you could get something at c.£225k not far away but within walking distance.

There are some shockers like this. Quite what the almost £4k of service charge goes on here, I cannot understand who would buy this at the current price.