House Price Crash Forum

This is my first post since 2008. I'm old now.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With those sort of locations in mind would it be better to try somewhere nearer East Croydon? IIRC there is only one fast train to London every 30 mins.

I think you could get something at c.£225k not far away but within walking distance.

There are some shockers like this. Quite what the almost £4k of service charge goes on here, I cannot understand who would buy this at the current price.

His offer has already been accepted. 

With those sort of locations in mind would it be better to try somewhere nearer East Croydon? IIRC there is only one fast train to London every 30 mins.

I think you could get something at c.£225k not far away but within walking distance.

There are some shockers like this. Quite what the almost £4k of service charge goes on here, I cannot understand who would buy this at the current price.

His offer has already been accepted. 

I had no idea having an offer accepted ties you into the deal forever!

You learn something new every day.

If you offer and that's accepted though i'd have thought part of that is a commitment to mark the property as 'under offer' or 'sold stc'. The agent shouldn't just keep the buyer's offer in the back pocket and continue to market the property hoping for something higher. 

If i was buying somewhere i'd insist that the offer is conditional on the property coming off the market or being marked as 'sold stc' immediately. To be fair a lot of agents do seem to do this and often won't allow viewings for property that has an offer on it. This looks like a local, mostly rental, chancer EA though.

cheers for the link to him, 

I thought this was a good one. However he does not talk enough of the consequences of inequality imo. Ie. what happens when equality leads to a critical mass of those with nothing to lose and they start burning things

https://twitter.com/garyseconomics?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1341562380229218304|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.housepricecrash.co.uk%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fi%2Fstatus%2F1341562380229218304

I knew this when they started bailing out bankers with unlimited lucre and austerity was being applied at the bottom of the quite literal food chain. As long as the Tories or a tory type Labour government is in place this will continue.  This is the proof that trickle down economics was always a lie and that billionaires getting richer does nothing for society. Nor that low taxation at the top is a benefit to society nor an incentive for our 'talent' to get out of bed and make the world a better place.  High and increasing house prices is a trick to make people think they are getting richer rather than a trap to keep people in debt for life, just look at Sunaks stamp duty handout and the so called help to buy scheme (put in place purely for builders bonuses by that c-word, Osbourne) two very cynical tricks indeed. 

I knew this when they started bailing out bankers with unlimited lucre and austerity was being applied at the bottom of the quite literal food chain. As long as the Tories or a tory type Labour government is in place this will continue.  This is the proof that trickle down economics was always a lie and that billionaires getting richer does nothing for society. Nor that low taxation at the top is a benefit to society nor an incentive for our 'talent' to get out of bed and make the world a better place.  High and increasing house prices is a trick to make people think they are getting richer rather than a trap to keep people in debt for life, just look at Sunaks stamp duty handout and the so called help to buy scheme (put in place purely for builders bonuses by that c-word, Osbourne) two very cynical tricks indeed. 

+1

It's the so called wealth effect on rising asset prices. Which isn't the same as jobs and productivity, but which gets BoE Central bankers a slap on the back. Despite disincentivising jobs and productivity.  More of the same.

Edited by Si1

+1

It's the so called wealth effect on rising asset prices. Which isn't the same as jobs and productivity, but which gets BoE Central bankers a slap on the back. Despite disincentivising jobs and productivity.  More of the same.

They want you to be debt slaves.  I will not comply .

Sooner or later they will have to change the stupid policies of the last 20 odd years. It'll probably take another 20 years to sort out. We're now out of the EU so that is an important 1st step although it seems they want to flood London with HK immigrants as the next cynical move! 

They want you to be debt slaves.  I will not comply .

Sooner or later they will have to change the stupid policies of the last 20 odd years. It'll probably take another 20 years to sort out. We're now out of the EU so that is an important 1st step although it seems they want to flood London with HK immigrants as the next cynical move! 

Doesn't that-500,000 well educated Hong Kong Cantonese in London sound rather good?

They won't be taking ordinary people's jobs either if they're well educated. 

And they won't upset the shires, because they don't like living in less than 1,000 an acre.

As for the rest of the policies of the last 20 years: Americas doing more of the same, by the look of Biden. It won't change voluntarily...

So true. And most of them would never admit it and keep making the same mistake.

Yep - a sizeable minority though me included have altered their spending habits and investment strategies because of posts on here. When the dust has settled the views put forward made sense and therefore have accumulated more money not less 

Edited by GregBowman

Yep - a sizeable minority though me included have altered their spending habits and investment strategies because of posts on here. When the dust has settled the views put forward made sense and therefore have accumulated more money not less 

Not sure what you’re saying there.
The truth is this whole forum is house price obsessed and mostly expecting/wanting/needing/praying for a HPC. But since 2004 decent houses have been on a one way track and it’s been a very uphill track. Since 2004 I’ve owned 14 of the 16 years and done nicely from it. I’ve been hesitant at times through paying too much attention to these forums and maybe even lost out through delaying purchases at times because of worrying about things read on here. No one can deny that anyone not buying since 2004 has made a huge mistake and if they posted on here along the way and encouraged others to follow their mistakes then that’s a shame. Yes some house prices are falling but if you’ve avoided leasehold, cladding or undesireable overpriced houses then buying has never been a bad decision. And I couldn’t care less if there’s a crash in 2021 anyway as I’m still happier owning than renting and can afford to sit any falls out, but I really can’t see it. The economy will surge back and interest rates will stay low. Therefore I see no chance of significant falls on anything remotely desirable. Small leasehold tower block with cladding are fcuked but desirable houses will be just fine.