Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
  • 10 months later...
HOLA445

If you've bought a house for circa £1.25Million in the last few years how big is your mortgage? 

Blankscreen · 07/04/2022 21:10

We've been in our current house for 11!years and we want to trade up. 

The next jump is £1.25m ish. 

The agents tells me that lots of people buying houses this level have £800k mortgages. Is this right? 

We can borrow it but I just don't feel comfortable. 

So just interested to know what others have borrowed. 

Current mortgage is £380k and I think £600k is the max for me. Which gets us to £1.2m. 

DH thinks we should go all out.

stillsmilingtoday · 08/04/2022 10:18

Definitely think about the size or your house. Our fuel bills are now as much as the (interest only) mortgage!

bonkers!!

https://www.mumsnet.com/talk/legal_money_matters/4524390-If-youve-bought-a-house-for-circa-1-25Million-in-the-last-few-years-how-big-is-your-mortgage?page=2

HOLA446

The stealth brags in that thread are off the scale, starting from the first lines of the first post. They really make me sick with their circle frig of one-upwomanship. 

Edited by Orb

HOLA447
3 hours ago, Orb said:

The stealth brags in that thread are off the scale, starting from the first lines of the first post. They really make me sick with their circle frig of one-upwomanship. 

Liars you mean. So many of their faux finances don’t stack up. Combined incomes of £300k but don’t feel comfortable with a 600k mortgage. Sure.

HOLA448
41 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

Liars you mean. So many of their faux finances don’t stack up. Combined incomes of £300k but don’t feel comfortable with a 600k mortgage. Sure.

Tbh I can relate to this.

600k is a huge amount of taxed money, and 300k will be before tax, and they have school fees (at least 1500 per month for 9 months of the year).

If one of them lost their job, then that’s maybe 200k loss of earnings in one swoop (unlikely to be earning the same as each other just because that’s the way the world is at the moment), which could mean a drop to 6-7k net a month, and then finding another job that pays 200k isn’t always so easy, especially in a recession. In the meantime you are eating into your savings that you need for other things.

I’d also feel nervous at that kind of debt.

HOLA449
4 hours ago, Orb said:

I bet they're all extremely boring corporate accountants.

HOLA4410

... or in sales.

Severe case of the Duning-Krugers - acting like that level of debt is somehow smart and an investment, I suspect similarly loud backslapping in the office too, full of the same types of bragarts

HOLA4411
58 minutes ago, Si1 said:

... or in sales.

Severe case of the Duning-Krugers - acting like that level of debt is somehow smart and an investment, I suspect similarly loud backslapping in the office too, full of the same types of bragarts

Dunno.

You rarely meet people who earn 150k plus. They are even less likely to be married to each other.

HOLA4412
4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Dunno.

You rarely meet people who earn 150k plus. They are even less likely to be married to each other.

Fair enough. But you and I both live in the North. BUT I find it hard to believe that someone on that income would post on Mumsnet.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
20 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Dunno.

Rather more common in London and Surrey.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

... or in sales.

Keeping up with the Duning-Krugers was never a great idea.

(well the ones just off the y axis and high above the x axis)

image.jpeg.8e9b0fe1a07b01a3e453e86982b93e11.jpeg

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4417
25 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Dunno.

To earn that on salary, they're like to be lawyers, bankers, etc who probably do end up marrying each other because who else would put up with someone working 80 hours a week

HOLA4418
18 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

To earn that on salary, they're like to be lawyers, bankers, etc who probably do end up marrying each other because who else would put up with someone working 80 hours a week

If they work that hard and long tho why do they post on Mumsnet?

HOLA4419
27 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Rather more common in London and Surrey.

I know a sixth form teacher who worked down there for a year and said the wealth of her students was off the charts. They'd beat each other up smashing their brand new highest spec iPhone over each others heads and rock up with replacement brand new iPhone next day without giving the slightest sh#t

HOLA4420
25 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

But do lawyers and bankers really post on mumsnet? This post has more than a whiff of made up about it

HOLA4421
3 minutes ago, Gurgle said:

But do lawyers and bankers really post on mumsnet? This post has more than a whiff of made up about it

Well 99% of this forum are (allegedly) hugely successful stock traders, IT guys on 300k per annum or business owners living in huge houses. The parallels about a whiff of made up are striking. 

HOLA4422
15 minutes ago, Si1 said:

If they work that hard and long tho why do they post on Mumsnet?

8 minutes ago, Gurgle said:

Why do some really rich people drink themselves to death?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
7 minutes ago, Gurgle said:

No idea, Do you?  Is it lack of fulfilment?  I.e money doesn’t make you happy?

I've got a good idea about this, the best I've heard to he honest in answer to this conundrum.

The root of human happiness is in human connections, in people.

If your line of work has broken your human connections to people that you'll like then you'll be unhappy no matter how much money you have.

And that's it.