House Price Crash Forum

Want your own home, have wealthy parents

HOLA441
40 minutes ago, doomed said:

Yes and they can currently. It is just that the more desirable property is more difficult to acquire so some parents help their children. There should be no issue with this.

23 minutes ago, prozac said:

Either your wages were really high or house prices in Lancashire are very low

your rule does not apply to london 

Wrong and wrong. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46430047

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
24 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

It is by no means unique to me that I could go and work for a dubious organisation in the city for serious wads of cash (or, at least, a lot more than I get where I am) ... and have more than enough to fund deposits for them ... but have contributed nothing to my children in the other things that count.

Sitting on a train in a commuter-daze is not good parenting - even if it does mean they don't have to scrape for a deposit to rent some moldy flat from the Wilsons. Yes, that's hyperbole for illustration purposes only.

I understand the dilemma but in truth that is what drives most people to start their own business - working for the man will always bring that conflict, but also understand in many walks of life that isn't easy - I started in service engineering and skilled service of many types is still a route to starting your own  thing.

By the way for what is worth because you are thinking about it, talking about it and understand Maslow I bet you have contributed far more than currently you think - don't be so hard on yourself

HOLA444

Hardly a revelation...UKGov has pursued policies for many years now that would inevitably result in a renewal of near feudalism.  I said in the early 2000s that the direction of travel was clear and we would have two classes of people...those with housing assets and those without.  Just like nearly all of history save for an enlightened blip mid 20th century.

HOLA445
7 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

I understand the dilemma but in truth that is what drives most people to start their own business - working for the man will always bring that conflict, but also understand in many walks of life that isn't easy - I started in service engineering and skilled service of many types is still a route to starting your own  thing.

It's not just a case of work for the man = $$$ + miserable,   work for yourself = $ + happiness

For many people Maslow's "security" layer (for them and their children) is better fulfilled by a job where they just turn up, do their work, go home and get paid - no risk involved.

For others, owning their own business is actually their own "self-actualisation": I know someone who sold their business aged 60 for
£4 million and, rather than retire, immediately founded a new one.  It's not greed either, and his kids are grown up - for him, work IS the main source of fun and pride - but only if it's his business of course, and not working for someone else. 

HOLA446
12 hours ago, localhero1983 said:

Now isn't this the truth in todays Britain, aspiration is on it's last legs and those lucky to be born into money are taking us back to an unfair class system

This is a forced meme by the left wing msm.

They want to push the idea of inequality because some millennial have parents who lend them money and some who dont.

The real story is that one generation (one and a half) has been disenfranchised by both lab and con made up housing bubble.

Any middle class millennial buying with BOMAD will loose the shirts in the HPC. Those buying now are the unfortunate ones. The poorer ones will do just fine.

HOLA447
3 hours ago, Nabby81 said:

Mine weren't feckless they just all died young , same as grandparents 

I am genuinely sorry for that but it is no reason that other people should not want to hep their own kids

3 hours ago, doomed said:

Unlucky. Do you support the right of parents to support their children in any way that would give them an advantage over others?

I support the right of any parents to do what they think is best for their kids.  I love my kid.  She is my responsibility.  I am not responsible for every other person's child.  

2 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

I wish *that* energy could be spent in parental support for items higher up Maslow's hierarchy - not least of which helping their kids to be better relational persons and citizens and creative value adders

I wish many things but we all have to deal with the actuality and reality as it stands. 

I can do that better if I don't have to work like a drone in order for my children to be able to afford a roof over their heads.

A dad who has a better work/life balance because money is not so desperately needed is  - IMO, anyway - going to find it easier to be a better dad.

Aidan - that is your own choice to which you are perfectly entitled.  That said if other people choose to do things differently to you that is their choice to which they are entitled.  You have made your choice. Other people have the dame right as you to make their own choices.  

2 hours ago, BorrowToLeech said:

People should be able to provide houses for themselves, without any assistance from anyone.

Even other animals can manage this.

It’s got nothing to do with whether parents should help their children, and everything to do with turning homes into treasure to profit the feckless few.

The fact is if a person does not want to work hard or does not bother to try at school they will not have skills that the job market requires so they will not earn enough to buy a house.  I am aware that prices are mad and that many hard working people are in a pickle to say the least and I am sad for that.  However to say that everyone should be able to buy a house is not practical.  If a person earns say £15,000 no house will seelfor that x 4 on a mortgage for instance.  Who is going to sell a house for less that they can get on the open market.  When you sell your car do you sell it at half the price you could get fort it because some people cannot afford what you can get for you car? 

I am not trying to be rude but I just do  not see how this can be possible I am happy to be enlightened hnowever.

All the best to you

2 hours ago, btl_hater said:

Your response also leads to the likely relevant question: which category do you fall under, a child who received a payout from BOMAD, or are you part of BOMAD yourself? 

Who cares - why judge someone because they have had financial help from their family? Envy? 

1 hour ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

It is by no means unique to me that I could go and work for a dubious organisation in the city for serious wads of cash (or, at least, a lot more than I get where I am) ... and have more than enough to fund deposits for them ... but have contributed nothing to my children in the other things that count.

Sitting on a train in a commuter-daze is not good parenting - even if it does mean they don't have to scrape for a deposit to rent some moldy flat from the Wilsons. Yes, that's hyperbole for illustration purposes only.

That is fine that is your personal choice. 

HOLA448

Correct me if i am wrong, but in the Pre 90's crash, didnt banks look differently on gifted deposits than saved deposits for a mortgage?

Personally i think its a parents right to help their children anyway they can/want. If some people are lucky and have parents who can offer lots of money then thats life. Personally i have not and i will not receive much if anything at all. Its not expected either. My parents are not rich and i was brought up to pay my own way. 

What i can expect is help with childcare, building work, DIY etc. which over the years will equal or be worth more than a 10% deposit today.

What i think should stop is the Governments involvement in the housing market. 

Edited by Monkey

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
21 minutes ago, happyguy said:

That is fine that is your personal choice. 

The thing that makes me angry is that the choice even has to be made.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
16 hours ago, localhero1983 said:

Now isn't this the truth in todays Britain, aspiration is on it's last legs and those lucky to be born into money are taking us back to an unfair class system

You can say the same about higher level eduction too ...  used to be that anyone who could pass the right A levels could get a Uni education with fees paid and a grant to cover their living costs.

Now, no fees paid or grant and much higher fees.  Loans available but non-cancellable, stupidly high interest rates and nothing like the same chances of getting a good job/career at the end of it that there used to be.   Education increasingly only for the children of the well off.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
5 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

I fully support parents supporting their children. I just wish that so much of parents' effort did not have to be spent on supporting their housing needs ... I wish *that* energy could be spent in parental support for items higher up Maslow's hierarchy - not least of which helping their kids to be better relational persons and citizens and creative value adders.

Buying with a loan to one day own or rip-off renting to never own are not the only two choices in life, parents helping with cash deposits is not the only way...in or out as the referendum has shown, no black nor white......think outside the box.;)

maslow-pyramid.jpg

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
8 minutes ago, winkie said:

Buying with a loan to one day own or rip-off renting to never own are not the only two choices in life, parents helping with cash deposits is not the only way...in or out as the referendum has shown, no black nor white......think outside the box.;)

maslow-pyramid.jpg

1 minute ago, longgone said:

green and purple is enough 

I have children. I aspire to support them in more than just green and purple.

Green and purple ... enough?

If green and purple cost more than they should (for my children or for me) then yellow and blue are further out of reach.

So sue me for wanting more for my children?

I grew up in Johannesburg - and I have seen what "green and purple is enough" mentality does to society when large numbers of people are denied any hope for anything more ...

It got ugly fast. It is getting uglier.

So sue me for wanting more for my children?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
50 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

Requires full refurbishment and modernisation. No internal viewing possible. Yeah, a real bargain. Not.

My point is to that there are many undesirable properties well within the reach of working people. The desirable ones will of course be more expensive and people who can will help their children get them will.

There are many ways you can be unlucky in life and this is just one of them. 

Edited by doomed

HOLA4425

I mentioned this in another topic, but I always felt that BoMaD is just another form of inter/multi generation mortgage. And the result is that house price becomes more related to inter-generation household wealth/income rather single household income. In the same way that over the last few decades, house price became related to household income (with two income) rather than single income.   

If BoMaD becomes the norm (which it is already), it simply inflates house price further. Then we just have to drag in grandparents and unborn children as well. Think I am joking? It already happened. 

So until I see average house price = average income of 4 generations combines, I would say the market is not mad enough.