House Price Crash Forum

Sudden stratospheric warming lengthy cold snap to UK

HOLA441
31 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

You're are right ccc, 2009/10 winter was the coldest in living memory for Scotland surpassing 62/3. For the UK as a whole it ranks fourth since 62/3...I don't have a day/night mean for 85/6 but the Met office refers to 2009/10 winter being slightly warmer than 85/6 in the final summary.

1. 1962/3..0.0c (three month mean)

2.1978/9..1.2c

3.1985/6..?

4.2009/10..1.6c

Can't seem to find a straight forward ranker table and have had to come up with mine by extrapolation. It would be interesting to know what the winter of 81/2 was when parts of the Thames briefly froze and Lewis Colins was shooting his scenes for Who Dares Wins in a frozen Regents Park:wacko:. Regents Park is nearly always green in winter these days.

It was 8 years ago. :huh:

Time flies. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, Errol said:

UK faces ‘significant’ snowfall due to freezing air from Siberia

Arctic blast, nicknamed ‘beast from the east’, will lead to snow in east and south-east England

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/23/uk-faces-significant-snowfall-due-to-freezing-air-from-siberia

the express has a chart saying a serbian freeze is going to unload a barrage of snow, so watch your balkans don't freeze

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/923045/Snow-UK-2018-weather-forecast-heavy-snow-Met-Office

HOLA448
HOLA449
18 hours ago, pmgdawau said:

the express has a chart saying a serbian freeze is going to unload a barrage of snow, so watch your balkans don't freeze

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/923045/Snow-UK-2018-weather-forecast-heavy-snow-Met-Office

Even the ice sheets aren't melting as the climate "scientists" claim..

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/ross-ice-shelf-bore-antarctica-freezing/

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
4 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

A beautiful winter’s day today down South. 

When is the day after tomorrow style weather expected - next week?

70 degrees in my lounge, no heating on, south facing on a hillside with a large single glazed window generating the heat. Actually cheaper on the heating than a mild wet winter day.

HOLA4413
24 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

70 degrees in my lounge, no heating on, south facing on a hillside with a large single glazed window generating the heat. Actually cheaper on the heating than a mild wet winter day.

Yes I can imagine. I was watching the frost move off my car in the north facing shadow a good 4hrs less than the cars in full Sun.

Wholesale energy prices appear to be moving. Whether this translates  into home bill rises will be interesting. Household budgets do not need this further squeeze.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43182523

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
14 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

My room is nice and warm and im getting paid for the privilege

I have been saying for years we need a nice long cold period to free up some large family homes. 

Ooooo.....you're all heart.  ;-)

I guess bowing out due to hypothermia is a better way to go than a flu pandemic or such like?

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4417

anything dignified quick and painless. catching a cold and bowing out peacefully in your sleep, in the comfort of your sprawling home is as good as way as any. 

Sometimes it’s just time to shuffle off your mortal coil to make way for next generation. 

every little helps. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
9 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Sometimes it’s just time to shuffle off your mortal coil to make way for next generation. 

every little helps. 

Won't be a series of minus 10s to blame....in a fortnight we will have a BBC special about a spike in old folk dying and  it will be concluded that Mrs. May is a mass killer and something has to be done about Austerity.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4420
44 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Won't be a series of minus 10s to blame....in a fortnight we will have a BBC special about a spike in old folk dying and  it will be concluded that Mrs. May is a mass killer and something has to be done about Austerity.

If only we gave old people a non-means tested brown envelope when it got a bit chilly all would be well. Oh wait....

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

The BBC could be the ones to kill them off, by not giving them advance warning of the bad weather.

It appears to be the "policy" to not worry people, snowflakes destroying others with too many snowflakes is a possible scenario.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew
Edit Content

HOLA4423

ahhh the express and there weather predictions.  this article from the guardian ( i hate em more than the express but they get this right) sums it ak

There is ********, utter ******** and Daily Express headlines. Reading the paper on Wednesday 1 April, I hadn’t the faintest idea which stories were supposed to be serious and which were April fools.

As the website expressbingo.org.uk points out, the paper has only about 12 front pages:

Benefit Cheats/Immigrants/Criminals Will Eat Your Babies

A Miracle Cure for Alzheimer’s/Diabetes/Cancer/Arthritis is Just Around the Corner

Madeline McCann is ... About To Be Found/Still Missing/Somewhere Even More Improbable Than Last Time

House Prices Soar Beyond Your Wildest Dreams ... etc.

The same themes come round and round, the wording marginally altered. But the story that fills more front pages than any other is the weather.

Express weather is not like normal weather. It’s not the weather we experience, or at least not yet. Express weather is what you might encounter on Mars or Venus: extreme heat or extreme cold interspersed with wild storms.

That its predictions are as contradictory as they are bizarre and that they seldom come to pass seems to deter their repetition not one jot. The newspaper appears to assume that its readers have thistledown memories: no recollection of the predictions it made even a few days before. Given that people continue to buy this rubbish, it may, unfortunately, be right.

So, on 16 March, its front page told us “Britain set for HOTTEST Easter EVER as temperatures to rocket to 80F in holiday heatwave”. Needless to say, the story was helpfully illustrated with pictures of young women in bikinis, in case we could not otherwise imagine what a heatwave might be like. On 26 March, this public service was followed by “Easter weather forecast: TEN inches of snow, gales and plummeting temps.” The same journalist, Nathan Rao, wrote both articles.

Advertisement
in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

opt-out-icon2.png

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

No winter approaches without predictions in the Express of Snowmageddon. In November 2012, Rao’s headline warned us: “Coldest Winter in 100 Years on Way”. In November 2013, he promised “100 DAYS OF HEAVY SNOW: Britain now facing worst winter in SIXTY YEARS warn forecasters”. In October 2014, a story by the same author told readers “Winter 2014 set to be ‘coldest for century’. Britain faces ARCTIC FREEZE in just weeks”. In November, another article of his was headlined “POLAR VORTEX WARNING: Latest winter weather models show UK faces MONTHS of heavy snow”. And so it went on all the way until the end of January, when the front page blared: “Britain on RED alert: ‘Displaced polar vortex’ to unleash crippling snowstorms next week”.

Needless to say, it was all ******** with bells on. Temperatures for central England in every month of the winter just passed were slightly higher than average. There were no abnormal snow events, and no plagues of frogs, boils, lobsters or aliens. All rather disappointing in fact.

The paper’s misleading weather stories, and their weak links to reality, have been closely documented by John Mason, who has collaborated with me in writing this article.

But even the Express is not prepared simply to pluck this clickbait out of thin air. It must be able to quote an authority, however flimsy their credibility may be. So it leans on a number of people who call themselves forecasters, but some of whose credentials appear difficult to establish.

For a while, such stories made abundant use of a man called Jonathan Powell, who ran a company called Positive Weather Solutions. After I revealed in the Guardian that the forecasters employed by this company did not exist, but had made-up names attached to stock shots of models, Positive Weather Solutions shortly closed down.

It was soon replaced by another company of Powell’s, Vantage Weather Services. That company also closed after bad publicity. He now runs a firm calledPrincipality Weather, which appears to feature only in the Welsh press, and then rarely.

Today, the man most frequently cited in improbable weather stories in the Express (and sometimes elsewhere) is James Madden, who runs a company called Exacta Weather. His wild predictions have formed the basis of Express stories for several years, and appear in several of those I’ve just mentioned. So I sent him a list of questions. (I also sent a list to the newspaper, but have not received a response).

I asked him:

1. Could you explain the basis on which you made these forecasts?
  2. What are your qualifications as a weather forecaster?
  3. How do you respond to the charge that you are engaging in “stopped clock forecasting”: making the same predictions again and again in the hope that they will occasionally be proved right, allowing you to claim vindication?
  4. How do you respond to the claim that your “accuracy” record [published on the Exacta website] is highly selective and misleading?
  5. Are you deceiving potential purchasers of your service by offering this misleading account?
  6. Why do you not publish an independent audit of your forecasting accuracy?

Instead of specific answers, he sent me a note that seemed to me to consist largely of bluster and threats.

Advertisement

“I remember the last time you tried dragging me into an unfair article involving only PWS [Positive Weather Solutions], for which I still have a dated response and video to yourself, which was shown to all my clients.” [You can read the article here].

“The previous also highlights you in previous statements/articles about weather being the weather, and sometimes forecasts will be wrong (in defence of the Met Office). No surprises there!

“After seeking advice, I will not hesitate to make an official complaint to the press complaints commission about the previous article, as I also will for any future articles that are misleading. I will also make people aware of this via the site, and your personal vendetta against myself, and your clear defensive nature of anything Met Office related.

“An explanation and detailed review of my winter forecast will be posted to subscribers and via the site shortly, and in my own time and not at deadline requests from yourself.”

I assured him that I have no vendetta against him and gave him another chance to respond, whereupon he sent me a slightly more conciliatory but similarly non-specific reply. The only question he attempted to answer was the stopped clock query, that he addressed as follows:

“May I also remind you that a broken clock is right twice in a day out of 24 hours, 1,440 minutes and 86,400 seconds. Have you ever thought of it that way or are you sticking to a more simplistic approach to prove some kind of point? My overall success rate is much higher than the simplistic comparison you tried to make there (with proof in various media articles and past forecasts via Exacta Weather).”

But sadly he was unable to send me any evidence for this “overall success rate”, citing health problems.

There’s also a serious side to all this. To judge by the comments people make about weather forecasting, which has improved greatly over the past couple of decades, it appears that many mistake these lurid headlines for predictions from the Met Office.

If ever there is a genuine forecast of a rare severe blizzard, of the apocalyptic magnitude that the Express keeps predicting, people might be inclined to ignore it if they’ve heard the media cry wolf 100 times before, and could get themselves into trouble.

And there’s the more basic issue that newspapers should not mislead their readers. But at this point I realise I am asking too much.

HOLA4424

In its defence the Express is such total nonsense and blantently so, its obvious to most people under a certain age certainly. And hence not worth worrying about.

The Guardian trying to shoehorn the word 'warming' into a cold-snap story is more worrying....they try to present a more serious angle but ultimately it's an excuse to cheerlead climate change based political activism ?

HOLA4425