House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
6 hours ago, kzb said:

OK I was speaking from memory, it was probably beef I was thinking of.

However I don't understand that web site.  If you look at the "Import Product Share", Ireland is the biggest in the EU.  But I'm not sure what that column actually means.

What fraction of the UK imports from the given country is food.

The data show how important is the geographical proximity for food imports. You mostly import from closest countries, even within the EU. 

Edited by slawek

HOLA442
8 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Try thinking logically instead of emotionally. 

There are two 'logical' trains of thought here. One is import as much cheap stuff from were ever and feast on it. The second is restrict imports from countries that play by the same rules (LPF) and protect your own supply (food security in this case).

If you take steel as another example, we restrict imports so that our own capacity to produce is protected. It's all a balancing act. Sometimes we give way in exchange for exports in other areas. It's common sense really and what FTA's are all about.

HOLA443
7 hours ago, kzb said:

We are "overproducing" and yet it is still so expensive.

Also, the people who have developed this sudden concern for farmers are the very same people that support Net Zero, which demands a great reduction in livestock farming.

And the very same people who didn't give a toss about our manufacturing industry until post June 2016. 

HOLA444
8 hours ago, kzb said:

We are "overproducing" and yet it is still so expensive.

'The UK currently imports around a third of the sheep meat it consumes, or around 100,000 tonnes annually. In 2015, over 95 per cent of UK sheep meat exports went to other EU countries. France is the main destination, accounting for 45–55 per cent of all trade, although this is a lower share than in the past.'

Our number 1 importer of sheep meat is from NZ and by a very large margin.

Market forces at play. Our lamb is of better quality and more expensive/commands a better prices and serves a different market/is exported. The cheaper stuff still comes in considerable volume from mainly NZ. I've always bought and never found a shortage of NZ lamb in the supermarket.

8 hours ago, kzb said:

Also, the people who have developed this sudden concern for farmers are the very same people that support Net Zero, which demands a great reduction in livestock farming.

Diversion.

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
53 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

I found the Russians, Spanish and Greeks the most difficult.

French were OK, but keen on details.

I've never dealt with the Russians and very little with the Greeks. Not really had any issues with the Spanish, other than their accent can make them sound quite exasperated at times.

HOLA4412

In an interesting twist, it's the ones that want to leave that are making all the commotion this time.

'Democratic' jackdaws use noise to make decisions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61551496

HOLA4413
7 hours ago, slawek said:

The UK is at the bottom of GDP per capita growth among developed countries and in Europe since 2015 (the Brexit referendum).

image.png.f46394228e3fc3c1c457482991b4fde8.png

image.png.e3c8c57b2b9317b57a31b9216a3e7e3c.png

https://www.imf.org/external/datamapper/PPPPC@WEO/OEMDC/ADVEC/WEOWORLD/AFG-----M

Interesting that the GDP growth shortfall between ourselves and Germany, France and Italy would seem to show that the "Project Fear" predictions were bang on the money, or even maybe a little optimistic. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
31 minutes ago, slawek said:

EE countries are quickly catching up with the UK. If the trends continue in 5-15 years they will reach the UK level. Lithuania is quite impressive, they went from 30% of the UK GDP to 85% in 27 years. 

image.png.029d9d247106f15d09560a36f49778b4.png

Lithuania also has the steepest population decline over that period, which should at least make you question the orthodox view on immigration.

HOLA4416

I present my Grand Theory of Gobshite-izm 

what do Trump, Brexiteers and Putin have in common? They all at some time in last decade bought into the criminal idea that rules, treaties, agreements and laws don’t matter

with the result being chaos and insanity 

the world where rules, laws and treaties don’t matter is a dystopian nightmare for average person, a dog eat dog world where rape of one year old kids is normalised, where property is stolen by the strongest, where racism and discrimination is the norm, where religion returns to its position of power over plebs, where rights are removed, where the ultra rich get richer

ask yourself is above a world you want your kids to grow up in?

Edited by yelims

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, yelims said:

I present my Grand Theory of Gobshite-izm 

what do Trump, Brexiteers and Putin have in common? They all at some time in last decade bought into the criminal idea that rules, treaties, agreements and laws don’t matter

with the result being chaos and insanity 

the world where rules, laws and treaties don’t matter is a dystopian nightmare for average person, a dog eat dog world where rape of one year old kids is normalised, where property is stolen by the strongest, where racism and discrimination is the norm, where religion returns to its position of power over plebs, where rights are removed, where the ultra rich get richer

ask yourself is above a world you want your kids to grow up in?

The plebs continue to get trampled all over by the powerful, when on earth was this never the case??? Keep voting red or blue though and then keep moaning how shit things are.

HOLA4418
6 minutes ago, Cocha said:

The plebs continue to get trampled all over by the powerful, when on earth was this never the case??? Keep voting red or blue though and then keep moaning how shit things are.

40 million Ukrainians would disagree with you 

Once you do away with rules laws and agreements you signed the result is anarchy where all sorts of nasty cockroaches climb out of the woodwork

I should expand my theory into a book titled “The Gobshite Delusion” where Brexit can take a chapter or two 

Edited by yelims

HOLA4419
8 minutes ago, yelims said:

40 million Ukrainians would disagree with you 

Once you do away with rules laws and agreements you signed the result is anarchy where all sorts of nasty cockroaches climb out of the woodwork

I should expand my theory into a book titled “The Gobshite Delusion” where Brexit can take a chapter or two 

At which point in time was it not the case?

Write the book, I'll buy a copy.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

Lithuania also has the steepest population decline over that period, which should at least make you question the orthodox view on immigration.

I wouldn't call my views on immigration orthodox, rather liberal. 

It looks the population decline was driven by emigration and lower fertility rates. Lithuania is then a good example proving that the free movement of people works. It helps countries to level up. 

You know quite a lot about this part of the world. May I ask why? 

HOLA4422

Gee gosh @kzbhas gone awfully quiet after the onslaught of data contradictory to his...erm....'take on Brexit's success'.....must be awful being called out in such a fashion :)

Expect he'll be back with some numpty 'but look at this' to distract and divert attention. 

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

Gee gosh @kzbhas gone awfully quiet after the onslaught of data contradictory to his...erm....'take on Brexit's success'.....must be awful being called out in such a fashion :)

Expect he'll be back with some numpty 'but look at this' to distract and divert attention. 

The GDP per capita figures have been poor in the UK well before 2015.  Something to do with rapid population growth most likely.

I've answered your points about food imports several times over already.  

I could show you data on how food inflation in UK is amongst the lowest in the EU but I can't be arsed frankly.

HOLA4424
17 hours ago, slawek said:

What fraction of the UK imports from the given country is food.

The data show how important is the geographical proximity for food imports. You mostly import from closest countries, even within the EU. 

OK I get that bit now.

However there is a danger in looking only at the $ values.  French imports presumably include all that Champagne, expensive wines and cheeses.  It's amounts of ordinary foods for ordinary people that is of most relevance.

HOLA4425