House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
8 minutes ago, longgone said:

What a polarized view, brits pay thousands to visit europe and these guys did not even notice it at all ? is the eu so forgettable ?

English is probably the most common western laguage spoken is probably the reason that is why some of them want  to come here. 

You do make it sound as if they are all wanting to come to the UK. That is by no means the case... that is something that just exists in your head...

A table showing the number of Dublin III transfers in 2018 by country. It shows the number of requests to take in people and the percentage of those accepted in a given country. It also shows requests from countries to other countries to take people in and the percentages of those who were accepted or returned.

HOLA443
HOLA444
2 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

English is probably the most common western laguage spoken is probably the reason that is why some of them want  to come here. 

You do make it sound as if they are all wanting to come to the UK. That is by no means the case... that is something that just exists in your head...

A table showing the number of Dublin III transfers in 2018 by country. It shows the number of requests to take in people and the percentage of those accepted in a given country. It also shows requests from countries to other countries to take people in and the percentages of those who were accepted or returned.

I know it is that's why it's spoken all over Europe I guess.

God knows why they are wanting to come to a country in decline.

Does that graph account for those in the boats every day?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
3 hours ago, dugsbody said:

Brexiters are ok with rich people moving around the world. It is poor people they don't like. They should know their place.

This is why there is a salary threshold for spouses. You don't earn more than X? Then your wife/husband won't be allowed in.

The tories don't hate foreign people. They hate poor people and don't want more of them coming here.

HOLA448
56 minutes ago, longgone said:

That explains why when i go to Germany and speak pigeon German they don't understand me. Now ot all makes sense.... lol 

What? You mean the few percent that are daft enough to choose Britain.

Dunno...proly not as that is a recent thang.

HOLA449
4 hours ago, thehowler said:

Well, from what NobodyinParticular is saying the EU will insist on the same movement rights.

The trade agreement mandates it, and sets a compliance period, although I can't remember what it is but it's of the order of six months or something. And this is bilateral - e.g. the EU can't offer another country better terms (e.g. the UK) without offering the same to Japan.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, longgone said:

Yes. If they come from France to the UK in a boat and they don't get sent back to France it's a Dublin III transfer from France to the UK. It's explicitly what that table is about.

HOLA4411
25 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Dunno...proly not as that is a recent thang.

Boats have been coming across for years. It's just not been as newsworthy or in that quantity, but other methods have been used (stowing away on lorries). Stowing away on lorries isn't going to be such a good option due to the week's wait in a lorry park in Kent from January.

HOLA4412
58 minutes ago, MancTom said:

This is why there is a salary threshold for spouses. You don't earn more than X? Then your wife/husband won't be allowed in.

The tories don't hate foreign people. They hate poor people and don't want more of them coming here.

I knew two professors at a university. The were refugees from Bosnia and they weren't earning much when they came over, but were highly educated. A friend of mine married a refugee from Bosnia, also highly educated. Apparently her best friend (another Bosnian refugee) fancied me but never actually told me, which is a shame as she was nice and incredibly stunning.

HOLA4413
4 hours ago, thehowler said:

Is that really the case - including geographic indicators and movement of people and their families to facilitate business?

Yes, it really is the case. The deal between Japan and the EU indicates that if either side offers another country more favourable terms then if the other nation objects it goes to arbitration and must be settled within a set time. In theory the EU could not ask for equivalent rights but it's not actually very likely it wouldn't. Since it's the larger party in the Japan-EU deal it is highly likely that Japan would offer it the same terms. But then I am not 100% the UK will have been offered better terms, given the EU-Japan deal is new - it might be spin by the UK, or these might be additional things that Japan and the EU are already intending to implement and simply haven't gone public with.

Edited by NobodyInParticular

HOLA4414

Return of the booze cruise and Post-Brexit duty-free for holidaying in EU

Holidaying Brits on their way to EU countries will save £2.33 on bottles of wine and £11.50 on spirits under a new post-Brexit regime from January.

The limits will be 42 litres of beer, 18 litres of still wine, four litres of spirits or nine litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22 per cent ABV

For tobacco, the limits are 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g tobacco or 200 sticks of tobacco for heating or else any proportional combination of the above. 

The latest changes do not apply to the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland since they are stated as applying only to England, Wales and Scotland.

Daily Mail

Some Brexit benefits

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
11 minutes ago, rollover said:

Some Brexit benefits

This will have to be applied to any imports of the above items from any country if this is not part of a deal with the EU or there is no deal with the EU else it violates WTO rules. If it doesn't apply to NI/Ireland then that will be sure to piss off those in the NI just a little bit more.

HOLA4417
10 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

My view on this is that with the ERG it wasn't going to be possible to have a deal and keep the Conservative Party together, or come up with a fudge that was a deal. So now there being no deal (and economic damage afterwards) can be blamed on the EU and BJ can glory in the Blitz spirit in January when things fall apart and people are fighting each other for the last turnip.

Edited by NobodyInParticular

HOLA4418
52 minutes ago, NobodyInParticular said:

My view on this is that with the ERG it wasn't going to be possible to have a deal and keep the Conservative Party together, or come up with a fudge that was a deal. So now there being no deal (and economic damage afterwards) can be blamed on the EU and BJ can glory in the Blitz spirit in January when things fall apart and people are fighting each other for the last turnip.

So Johnson legacy could end up being:

1. No deal Brexit

2. Massive recession (combination of Covid impact and no deal Brexit)

3. Scottish independence

4. Irish re-unification

5. UK seen as untrustworthy trade partner

he's only had the job just over a year - what's his plan for the next four?

HOLA4419
18 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

1. No deal Brexit

3. Scottish independence

4. Irish re-unification

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
51 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

1. No deal Brexit

3. Scottish independence

4. Irish re-unification

Why worry, EC? Wait for December, it's not far off.

Could be a FTA - at least a chance - news today that UK economy is up 6.6%, right direction, Scot ref is way off and UK govt might set the wording or try to include Scot-born living in UK, nobody knows what's going to happen with NI and it's too early to say whether international partners are going to shun us or they'll view it as a UK domestic issue around NI.

Hold fast.

HOLA4423
17 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Why worry, EC? Wait for December, it's not far off.

Could be a FTA - at least a chance - news today that UK economy is up 6.6%, right direction, Scot ref is way off and UK govt might set the wording or try to include Scot-born living in UK, nobody knows what's going to happen with NI and it's too early to say whether international partners are going to shun us or they'll view it as a UK domestic issue around NI.

Hold fast.

He never said that he was worrying. 

HOLA4424
52 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Scot ref is way off and UK govt might set the wording or try to include Scot-born living in UK,

Scots living in the UK might like the option to immediately claim EU citizenship via Scottish birth. I am not sure including Scots living in England, Wales, and NI will actually be that keen to vote against Scottish independence. Also, Boris setting the wording would be very unpopular and seen as a bit like the EU setting the referendum question for 2016 might have been seen.

52 minutes ago, thehowler said:

it's too early to say whether international partners are going to shun us

Since they've already been saying they will, it's not too early.

In terms of the economy, it's up 6.6% after being down 20+%. It's still more net negative than every other European nation, AFAIK.

HOLA4425