House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
9 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Our problem would be in making the other members believe we were sincere in a) agreeing with their unspoken agreement to not rock the boat and b) that it truly was an end state

If we could not manage both we won't be admitted. 

As far as not wanting  the UK to be humiliated, that boat has sailed. I spent last week in Bucharest, even there I had people commiserating me on the UK descent into irrelevance. The St Patricks day parade on Tuesday was particularly humiliating because they were so sympathetic about it. I even was bought a Guinness by people who had just heard my accent and wanted to express their sympathy. 

BTW Bucharest is a fabulous place to visit, just starting to get tourism but not yet swamped by it. Like Prague 20 years ago, Try the Artist restaurant a little bit of Heston at night out in Croydon prices. Or GUXT Bistro excellent and even cheaper. 

I agree. It's a much larger assumption than many give credit for that we would be welcomed into EFTA with open arms. We would be by far the biggest member and are bound to "rock the boat".

HOLA445
11 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

This. In every single country I visited last year, at least one person I spoke to asked me wtf the UK was doing. "Have you all gone mad" was the most common comment.

You visited more than one country.....I doubt many have visited one in the last year, wonder what the percentage is of citizens hold a valid passport that they could travel tomorrow..... don't believe everything you see unless you can see it for yourself......life is not a bubble or a flat screen.;)

HOLA446
1 hour ago, macca13 said:

We must remain sustainable on our island for what nature is preparing for us! 

We have destroyed this planet!

but if we want to survive the apocalypse that’s coming more people with no capacity to feed them is pure stupidity! 

Dont listen to Tony Blaire and tax dodger Branson.. They only care about money.. 

how are you going to manage to get fresh fruit all year around or will you be on the parsnip diet over the winter?

HOLA447
22 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

This. In every single country I visited last year, at least one person I spoke to asked me wtf the UK was doing. "Have you all gone mad" was the most common comment.

I can concur. Last year I visited 3 coutries, 2 european. Whenever anyone sees our passports or hears us talking english I quickly point out to them that we are not little englanders.

HOLA448
HOLA449
10 minutes ago, winkie said:

You visited more than one country.....I doubt many have visited one in the last year, wonder what the percentage is of citizens hold a valid passport that they could travel tomorrow..... don't believe everything you see unless you can see it for yourself......life is not a bubble or a flat screen.;)

Portugal, France, UAE, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia,  Peru, Colombia, Cuba, USA in fact. Yes, in every SINGLE one (many in Chile weirdly)

HOLA4410
18 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

I live in Continental Europe and know and work with a ton of people from all over Europe. They assume the UK has become racist. They see Brexit as something that reared it's head 3 years ago rather than seeing the post-maastricht era and the broken Blair referendum promises etc.

If you actually question them on topics you'll find they don't have a clue what they are talking about or are talking from the perspective of if their own country was to leave.

Eastern Europeans obviously love the EU as many of those countries are corrupt as hell and many have acquired the money and means to leave and earn high salaries in the west.

Portuguese and Spaniards are not so dissimilar having come out of dictatorship in the 70s and still have problems the UK doesn't.

I'm aware the UK is no shining beacon of anything but the UK hasn't had anything like the political issues most of Europe has had. It only shares a border with an isolated non-Schengen EU country.

HOLA4411
4 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Portugal, France, UAE, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia,  Peru, Colombia, Cuba, USA in fact. Yes, in every SINGLE one (many in Chile weirdly)

Eye opener, even better when can talk and mix with others, hear their views and live their lifestyle......a cruise or package holiday not quite the same....you are then just the consumer a source of income.;)

HOLA4412
9 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Have to be careful that you are not living a globalist bubble and sampling views only from that.

I used to spend a lot of time working abroad in many places. Take the US for example. All the time over there I thought it was great. Big houses. Big cars. Boats. Lots of money. Then you start to realise you are living in a demographic bubble. Yes life over there is great if you are middle class, college educated and working for a big corporate. If not less so.

If you are travelling to all these places on business the likelyhood is your sampling is strongly biased. Unless you deliberately take trips and seek out some pretty "interesting" places, which would generally be against any business remit. And the people in those places are unlikely to have any view on Brexit at all. They are too busy trying to survive. But their vote counts as much as the next persons.

HOLA4413
6 minutes ago, winkie said:

Eye opener, even better when can talk and mix with others, hear their views and live their lifestyle......a cruise or package holiday not quite the same....you are then just the consumer a source of income.;)

Definitely.

We went to  the Dominican Republic 4 years ago on an all inclusive deal. We loved the luxury until we saw what the actual cost was to the locals. Big multinationals setting up shop in paradise, bussing the poverty stricken workforce in every morning, all while siphoning off the profits, it was disgusting to see. Never, ever again.

When we went round the world we did the whole thing using hostels, camping and a few cheap airbnb / motels. 12 months, total cost £20,000 each. That is spending a month in Oz and 2 months in USA and NZ (each). Met dozens of wonderful and very generous locals as well as a fair share of the weird and (mostly) wonderful westerners doing the same thing as us.

Thats the price of an expensive 2 week cruise and those poor sods see **** all.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Have to be careful that you are not living a globalist bubble and sampling views only from that.

I used to spend a lot of time working abroad in many places. Take the US for example. All the time over there I thought it was great. Big houses. Big cars. Boats. Lots of money. Then you start to realise you are living in a demographic bubble. Yes life over there is great if you are middle class, college educated and working for a big corporate. If not less so.

If you are travelling to all these places on business the likelyhood is your sampling is strongly biased. Unless you deliberately take trips and seek out some pretty "interesting" places, which would generally be against any business remit. And the people in those places are unlikely to have any view on Brexit at all. They are too busy trying to survive. But their vote counts as much as the next persons.

Totally agree. We didn't do that. Finding out of the way places and travelling by bus / hitching saw to that. I dont think places like Chile Chico and Nauta are on the business route :)

HOLA4415
13 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Totally agree. We didn't do that. Finding out of the way places and travelling by bus / hitching saw to that. I dont think places like Chile Chico and Nauta are on the business route :)

I have no clue where those places are.

I do know that if you are interested in getting opinions and understanding voting motivations for Brexit you're probably better off spending more time listening to what people in the backwaters of the UK have to say.

HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I have no clue where those places are.

I do know that if you are interested in getting opinions and understanding voting motivations for Brexit you're probably better off spending more time listening to what people in the backwaters of the UK have to say.

The bacon latitudes.

HOLA4417
Just now, zugzwang said:

The bacon latitudes.

Absolutely. Don't forget the black pudding as well.

The added bonus is that you don't have to burn a planet warming amount of jet fuel to get there either and have to maintain some sort of cognitive dissonance about how you really care about the environment while simultaneously destroying it.

HOLA4418
3 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Actually I think you might be wrong on that, I thought it too so had a good look at chapter and verse a while back, and all I could find is about temporary suspension.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/summary/glossary/suspension_clause.html

Hotel California mate.

Article 7. It doesn't use the word 'temporary', although its obligations are continued. Maybe it's a soft initial exclusion until the position is untenable.

HOLA4419

Maybe it’s time to stop finding scapegoats and admit that Theresa May and her lack of leadership has made a bad situation worse. With great sadness, it’s time for her to swap her departure date in return for the deal. It’s the least she can do.

The Times.

I doubt she's going voluntarily though.

HOLA4420
12 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

The added bonus is that you don't have to burn a planet warming amount of jet fuel to get there either and have to maintain some sort of cognitive dissonance about how you really care about the environment while simultaneously destroying it.

We use dried blood imported from Europe to make our black pudding.....a butcher once told me they are not allowed to use fresh blood, they use it fresh everywhere else.;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, crouch said:

As to rejoining the EU curiously enough I don't rule that out, but not after the transition period, but possibly after say ten years. The EU IMV will change markedly and in ten years' time will not be what it is today - neither will we for that matter - and I think it entirely possible that it will evolve in a way that we would find it much easier to rejoin than today.

I've wondered about that from the start. Brexit is part of a series of problems the EU's facing and which it needs to reform itself to deal with if it's to survive, so the irony of leaving is that it could contribute towards an EU that's something I wouldn't be so keen on leaving.

HOLA4423
23 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I don't have and won't have children. That is my contribution to combating global warming, the biggest one an individual can ever make.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, hurlerontheditch said:

how are you going to manage to get fresh fruit all year around or will you be on the parsnip diet over the winter?

Plenty of other things to eat in winter than just parsnips.

Being able to be self-sufficient doesn't mean refusing to import or export anything.

In any case I certainly wouldn't be averse to going back to have a bit of seasonality in available food.

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Yea sure, fabricate being at a St Patrick's day parade in Bucharest such an obvious thing to do. 

We are a global laughing stock.

a similar thing happened on a business trip to Munich a couple of months ago. Germans genuinely feeling sorry for us.

As of now, whether we leave or remain, there is no "nice" option anymore. The country is far too divided. The UK could very well break up, and the schism between the big cities and the small towns/countryside is getting wider.

Edited by hayder