House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
38 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Surely that question would be better directed at the Astropolitics expert currently persuading Boris to invest billions in failed satellite company.

If you expect me to defend everything that goes in the name of Brexit you'll be sorely disappointed.

Edited by crouch

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
31 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Brexit extension deadline passes in 4 hours.

This time last year there would have been court hearings in England, Scotland and NI (coz you just need one to say yes ? ) to try and block it. Now, it slips by without as much as a small murmer. A quiet, peaceful, democratic passing.

I don't know why you're cheering because all it does it give more leverage to the EU as we head towards 2021 in the middle of a pandemic.

HOLA445
15 minutes ago, crouch said:

If I told you that they wouldn't be secret.

This is much better!

I was starting to think you were a bit thick, but I stand corrected. Secret advantages are the best :D

WIll it be santa who brings them? Will they taste nice :D

HOLA446
7 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

I don't know why you're cheering because all it does it give more leverage to the EU as we head towards 2021 in the middle of a pandemic.

Shame it got delayed for so long.

HOLA447
HOLA448
5 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Delayed? Vote Leave campaigned on the basis that it would take four years.

@crouch has explained that there are eal advantages, but they are secret.

It is the best argument I read for brexit this year.

HOLA449
35 minutes ago, crouch said:

If you expect me to defend everything that goes in the name of Brexit you'll be sorely disappointed.

It was just a joke not a dig.

Actually the purchase isn't a completely mad idea, unlike a pointless me to GPS system it could  at least cover its costs by providing a reasonably fast broadband service to remote areas of the UK and maybe paying customers elsewhere.   

HOLA4410
9 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Delayed? Vote Leave campaigned on the basis that it would take four years.

So it should have been completed last week then? Yes, last Tuesday on the 23rd June? But no, we now need to "give more leverage to the EU as we head towards 2021 in the middle of a pandemic". Shame it got delayed for so long.

They may have campaigned with the assumption that it would be blocked at every available opportunity over 4 years leading to 2 GEs and 3 PMs. Respect to their foresight if so!

HOLA4411
7 minutes ago, Huggy said:

So it should have been completed last week then? Yes, last Tuesday on the 23rd June? But no, we now need to "give more leverage to the EU as we head towards 2021 in the middle of a pandemic". Shame it got delayed for so long.

They may have campaigned with the assumption that it would be blocked at every available opportunity over 4 years leading to 2 GEs and 3 PMs. Respect to their foresight if so!

Oi, thickie!

If everything you thought would happen was wrong, and everything you were told might happen instead was right then...

...maybe you were wrong.

I live in Europe, mate. They think you are bonkers, but no-one is concerned. "leverage"? What drugs are you on? Injecting the Express perhaps.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
13 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Oi, thickie!

If everything you thought would happen was wrong, and everything you were told might happen instead was right then...

...maybe you were wrong.

I live in Europe, mate. They think you are bonkers, but no-one is concerned. "leverage"? What drugs are you on? Injecting the Express perhaps.

Not sure I completely follow the first bit, I haven't been on the booze either tonight which is normally the reason. I was wrong to think that if we have a vote, then it would be sorted (just like the last GE where the hated devil Boris J won and he still became PM, immediately). I was right to think that democracy surely cannot get trampled over with the flimsy reason of "we can ignore it because it is fundamentally, just this once." It would win out in the end, and did.

I am unaware of a specific occasion of someone telling me of something that might happen which then did. However, there are many people with many opinions, and so someone is almost guaranteed to have told me somethign that might happen that then did at some point. Like calling heads in a coin toss and getting it right.

Maybe some of them are on this thread and we just don't know it yet. Very exciting.

The "leverage" bit was a quote from thecrashingisles. Nothing to do with me!

I am certainly bonkers, but I am also not concerned either so it balances out. It will be fine, or it won't. The adaptable will win.

Edited by Huggy

HOLA4414
2 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Not sure I completely follow the first bit, I haven't been on the booze either tonight which is normally the reason. I was wrong to think that if we have a vote, then it would be sorted (just like the last GE where the hated devil Boris J won and he still became PM, immediately). I was right to think that democracy surely cannot get trampled over with the flimsy reason of "we can ignore it because it is fundamentally, just this once." It would win out in the end, and did.

I am unaware of a specific occasion of someone telling me of something that might happen which then did. However, there are many people with many opinions, and so someone is almost guaranteed to have told me somethign that might happen that then did at some point. Like calling heads in a coin toss and getting it right.

Maybe some of them are on this thread and we just don't know it yet. Very exciting.

The "leverage" bit was a quote from thecrashingisles. Nothing to do with me!

I am certainly bonkers, but I am also not concerned either so it balances out. It will be fine, or it won't. The adaptable will win.

I am afraid I am a rubbish person sober. You seem to be better, thankfully :)

I agree, the vote had to be implemented. It has been. Most will not be happy until they get their unicorn farting rainbows, which is where I draw teh line

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Huggy said:

This time last year there would have been court hearings in England, Scotland and NI (coz you just need one to say yes ? ) to try and block it. Now, it slips by without as much as a small murmer. A quiet, peaceful, democratic passing.

Why is it democratic ?

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Surely that question would be better directed at the Astropolitics expert currently persuading Boris to invest billions in failed satellite company.

We got ontop of Covid with optimism - I can't see why the same can't enable a failed satellite company to build a garden bridge to the Moon.

HOLA4417

Theresa May criticises PM over choice of Brexit envoy for security role

Speaking in the Commons, she suggested David Frost did not have the required expertise or independence to succeed Sir Mark Sedwill in the role.

Labour said the choice of Mr Frost, who is currently leading the UK's trade talks with the EU, was "dangerous".

But Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove said Mr Frost was highly qualified and would be accountable to the PM.

BBC

It's funny, isn't it?

HOLA4418
1 minute ago, rollover said:

It's funny, isn't it?

They seem really really keen on centralising power into the hands of a few ideologically correct nodding dogs. What could go wrong ?

HOLA4419
3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I am afraid I am a rubbish person sober. You seem to be better, thankfully :)

I agree, the vote had to be implemented. It has been. Most will not be happy until they get their unicorn farting rainbows, which is where I draw teh line

I do notice the occasional missing word from a reply, so maybe I'm not that good at it! I'll sort it out tomorrow I think with a large wine or something, but thank you! I do try the civil thing occasionally, and I do quite enjoy it. Even for a Boris ❤️ fan!

3 minutes ago, pig said:

Why is it democratic ?

Good point, in all of the excitement I forgot it had been sorted out already. Doesn't feel like it has sometimes.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, crouch said:

Argentina has a very long history of economic difficulties, certainly enough to come to some judgement on the issues but more than the two years you allow Brexit.

Two years is my estimate for the scales to fall off the peoples eyes.... it might be longer or shorter. I expect that to happen when Brexit is found out to be a mear opportunistic power grabbing folly....but sooner, much sooner than the 25yrs you think it deserves.

HOLA4421
2 hours ago, crouch said:

What was the plan to ensure things got better after we joined in 1973? Where was the monitoring to ensure that the promises made were kept? Can you show me the assessments that were made during all of this? Joining the EEC was just as much a leap of faith as leaving it so you'll be able to answer these questions very easily.

Easy. The EU has expanded to represent over 50% of our export trade. The result speaks for itself.

Leap of faith? No. Free trade with 500million on your doorstep is frankly a no brainer. Free trade with the USA? China don't think so. Half way around the world and no where near makes up for that which will be lost. You are bonkers to even compare the scenarios, but then we all know that.

Next!

Edited by IMHAL

HOLA4422
10 minutes ago, rollover said:

Theresa May criticises PM over choice of Brexit envoy for security role

Speaking in the Commons, she suggested David Frost did not have the required expertise or independence to succeed Sir Mark Sedwill in the role.

Labour said the choice of Mr Frost, who is currently leading the UK's trade talks with the EU, was "dangerous".

But Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove said Mr Frost was highly qualified and would be accountable to the PM.

BBC

It's funny, isn't it?

Actually well done Theresa May. She has some principle - and was spitting feathers at Gove, which was thoroughly enjoyable.

“We will only grant equivalences in those areas where it is clearly in the interest of the EU; of our financial stability; our investors and our consumers.”........Michel Barnier today.

Johnson and his Overlord Cummings will not be pleased with that.

Finally, here's one for this momentous 4 year anniversary.

in 1952. Prime Minister Clement Attlee said his Labour Party would not accept the economy being “handed over to an authority that is utterly undemocratic and is responsible to nobody”.

It's bound to collapse any day now anyway especially the € first.

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Huggy said:

Thank God for that. Perhaps you'll stop rubbing it in at every opportunity now.

HOLA4424
3 hours ago, Huggy said:

Are you so sure?

Last I heard Boris was extending by the back door.

HOLA4425