House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

5 hours ago, crouch said:

Did we get any say about de-colonisation? Or being a nuclear power? Or about the comprehensive establishment of the welfare state? No, because this is still fundamentally a representative democracy and it is still up to government to manage these issues.

The only reason you are interested in democracy is because you want a second chance to reverse the 2016 vote and that is very unlikely.

Very unusually, and many would say, very stupidly, the government held a referendum on EU membership, we voted to leave and it is now the job of government, within the current constitutional arrangements, to manage this going forward, not to pander to the terminally disgruntled.

The only people that won't be terminally disgruntled, are those super-wealthy elites who will get what they've been waiting for after Brexit.

The rest of us can go sing for our supper.

No fecking plan, no fecking vision.

1 minute ago, jonb2 said:

The only people that won't be terminally disgruntled, are those super-wealthy elites who will get what they've been waiting for after Brexit.

Are you suggesting that there are not really big advantages that being kept secret from us?

16 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Its going to be an absolute bloody shambles...

2 hours ago, crouch said:

Why not go the whole hog and vote to end parliament?

What's this word vote?

Did we get a vote to prorogue parliament?

Don't worry. The system will now quickly transform to the full intended parallel system. Where all the upper echelons get what they want and the rest of us can go feck ourselves.

Otherwise known as a banana republic. It's what you voted for.

21 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Are you suggesting that there are not really big advantages that being kept secret from us?

The really big advantages don't need to be discussed with the little people, the proles. As they won't be able to enjoy the billions made by the disaster capitalists, bankers and tax-evading billionaires.

It makes Joe Public irrelevant. Use them, then chuck them onto the rubbish pile once they've served their masters wishes.

Job done!

57 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Time is fair enough, but it cannot be give time to work if it does not having any objectives. I could shit on the kitchen floor and when my wife objects tell her that it is a project that needs time to work.

It is a fair assertion, but needs a description of what it is trying to achieve and how. That appears to be a secret.

I take your point. But Brexit has achieved it's objectives, it has completed it's mandate, as you have observed, we have left the EU. The question is what do we do when we have exited? What is the 'next step'? For both of these questions the public should be involved in deciding an acceptable destination. 

19 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

What's this word vote?

Did we get a vote to prorogue parliament?

Don't worry. The system will now quickly transform to the full intended parallel system. Where all the upper echelons get what they want and the rest of us can go feck ourselves.

Otherwise known as a banana republic. It's what you voted for.

How are the folks on Alpha Centauri?

39 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Thank you for this; I feel much better.

17 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

I take your point. But Brexit has achieved it's objectives, it has completed it's mandate, as you have observed, we have left the EU. The question is what do we do when we have exited? What is the 'next step'? For both of these questions the public should be involved in deciding an acceptable destination. 

People are against responsibility. That is the victory of Johnson over May.

It happens occasionally.

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

People are against responsibility. That is the victory of Johnson over May.

It happens occasionally.

I agree, but people will wise up, especially when it affects their daily lives and livelihood. At the moment Brexit is ethireal, when it becomes real there will be no shirking responsibility and accountability..... 

4 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

I agree, but people will wise up, especially when it affects their daily lives and livelihood. At the moment Brexit is ethireal, when it becomes real there will be no shirking responsibility and accountability..... 

Yes. There is a reason why populism does not last long.

We have an unequal society with an older population. Right wing populism is inevitable occasionally. That it is stupid and never works is why in generally does not last long. But, it is managing to do a lot of damage.

3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Yes. There is a reason why populism does not last long.

We have an unequal society with an older population. Right wing populism is inevitable occasionally. That it is stupid and never works is why in generally does not last long. But, it is managing to do a lot of damage.

There is a school of thought that it might not get better, and we could end up as a European Argentina, which went from being one of the richest countries in the world to a dysfunctional basket case.

Dear oh dear - the Remainers simply cant handle they lost the votes.

Brexit referendum (2016): UK chose Brexit.

Tthen, after 3 years of anti-democratic Remainer obstruction, we had a General Election on which the Conservative party's slogan was "Get Brexit Done" and the other parties either completely pro-Remain (LDs) or on the fence (Labour).

And the Conservatives won a landslide.

Just now, thecrashingisles said:

There is a school of thought that it might not get better, and we could end up as a European Argentina, which went from being one of the richest countries in the world to a dysfunctional basket case.

That is also a distinct possibility. I'm sure crouch would argue that Argentina is just going through some bumps in the road :)

3 minutes ago, dryrot said:

Tthen, after 3 years of anti-democratic Remainer obstruction, we had a General Election on which the Conservative party's slogan was "Get Brexit Done" and the other parties either completely pro-Remain (LDs) or on the fence (Labour).

And Brexit is done...what next? I'm pretty sure even most leave voters did not vote for a worse life. Where is the plan to make it better? Scratch that...where is the plan to ensure that the quality of live is not degraded for the average bod.

Edited by IMHAL

1 minute ago, IMHAL said:

And Brexit is done...what next?

Bread (Warburtons) and Circuses (Johnson and The Tories).

Nothing else. No plan. Nothing to look forward to.

It's all pretty vacant.

2 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

And Brexit is done...what next?

that's a good question.

My post was exasperation at the "we've found a survey that suggests the majority in the UK want Remain" arguments when all the votes show the complete opposit

Wrt to your point: to be free of EU rules and bureacracy, and the Euro disaster, and free movement, and have tariff-free trade with the world, seem great opportunities to me.

I may be wrong and thats what discussion is for. But not "a survey states the UK wants Remain", please :)

2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It is possible.

I actually have rather a lot of faith in the younger generation.

The average person who votes is nigh on sixty. That is old enough to be disillusioned with modern political discourse and not believe that complex problems that we rely on experts for really exist. Getting young people voting is the requirement.

15 minutes ago, dryrot said:

We left the EU in February 2020. Thicko.

29 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

That is also a distinct possibility. I'm sure crouch would argue that Argentina is just going through some bumps in the road :)

Argentina has a very long history of economic difficulties, certainly enough to come to some judgement on the issues but more than the two years you allow Brexit.

30 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

And Brexit is done...what next? I'm pretty sure even most leave voters did not vote for a worse life. Where is the plan to make it better? Scratch that...where is the plan to ensure that the quality of live is not degraded for the average bod.

What was the plan to ensure things got better after we joined in 1973? Where was the monitoring to ensure that the promises made were kept? Can you show me the assessments that were made during all of this? Joining the EEC was just as much a leap of faith as leaving it so you'll be able to answer these questions very easily.