Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

Recommended Posts

Jeez, when Theresa May raises issues around compitancy then you know things must be pretty bad ūüėĪ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

Jeez, when Theresa May raises issues around compitancy then you know things must be pretty bad ūüėĪ.

Sounds to me that it hints at a broader concern over governance but yes things must be pretty bad if the Tories are worried they are not fit to govern. Especially at a time like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Are you so sure?

Last I heard Boris was extending by the back door.

He is going to need his back door extending :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Easy. The EU has expanded to represent over 50% of our export trade. The result speaks for itself.

I didn't ask what the EU had done I asked for the plan of the UK once in the EEC. To repeat - what was our plan? As you're always going on about planning you must know what a plan is.

And I am not comparing scenarios. I am asking what monitoring was done in respect of our EEC entry that would parallel your requirement for Brexit. My questions are about the EEC not Brexit, but of course you haven't noticed.

And you haven't answered any of the other questions. Quelle surprise!

So, when asked to provide any, repeat any, chapter and verse relating to our entry to the EEC to parallel your requirements for Brexit you score null points! Not in the least surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the deadline to extend the transition period has passed. perhaps Cummings will stop the brinkmanship and start negotiating with the EU.

Of course Cummings doesn't really run the country, he's just the conduit that takes the instructions from Tory party donors, translates them into soundbites and passes them down to his mouthpiece, BJ, who adds the "fantastic" adjectives and babbles them out to the masses.

Government by lies, leaks, and loquacity...... or if you prefer, slogans, soundbites and sophistry.

 

Edited by Bruce Banner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pig said:

Funny thread :)

 

Indeed.¬†ūü§£.

I can’t see how anyone who has actually listened to Johnson speak could ever call him a great orator. He looks and sounds less like a prime minister than the sort of bloke you’d see presenting Top of the Pops in the Eighties.
11:36 AM · Jun 30, 2020
 

Eboiiw4WsAAjB92?format=jpg&name=small

 

Edited by Bruce Banner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twitter is 80% a cesspit of deranged mentalists but now and again there’s a bit of useful news or a funny anecdote. 

I do hope the Mayor is able to assist with a special holiday home visa for these thickos.

Edit to add there’s going to be some stonking price drops in Brit ex-pat areas when they all start rushing for the doors. Crashy crashy.

Alas they’ll have to come back here. 

Edited by PeanutButter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

I do hope the Mayor is able to assist with a special holiday home visa for these thickos.

Why would they need special visa's for a Holiday visit?

I'd have thought the main problem would be the addition taxes the French could apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

 

I have had a couple of similar conversations over the past few months.

Villa owners upset that their normal 6 months spent enjoying the sun in Spain may have to be 90 days in future and another family upset that they may soon be spending £500 a trip on doggy passports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I have had a couple of similar conversations over the past few months.

Villa owners upset that their normal 6 months spent enjoying the sun in Spain may have to be 90 days in future and another family upset that they may soon be spending £500 a trip on doggy passports.

Yep, it all adds up :D 

Vets are going to coin it.

3E203755-D8E6-4D5C-BEE4-58E6B6C80E8A.thumb.jpeg.fec6f3b2889151ab2280333d0c64aa03.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I have had a couple of similar conversations over the past few months.

Villa owners upset that their normal 6 months spent enjoying the sun in Spain may have to be 90 days in future and another family upset that they may soon be spending £500 a trip on doggy passports.

Yep, it all adds up :D 

Vets are going to coin it.

3E203755-D8E6-4D5C-BEE4-58E6B6C80E8A.thumb.jpeg.fec6f3b2889151ab2280333d0c64aa03.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who was it on here complaining about losing the pet passport, after voting to have it removed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crouch said:

I didn't ask what the EU had done I asked for the plan of the UK once in the EEC. To repeat - what was our plan? As you're always going on about planning you must know what a plan is.

And I am not comparing scenarios. I am asking what monitoring was done in respect of our EEC entry that would parallel your requirement for Brexit. My questions are about the EEC not Brexit, but of course you haven't noticed.

And you haven't answered any of the other questions. Quelle surprise!

So, when asked to provide any, repeat any, chapter and verse relating to our entry to the EEC to parallel your requirements for Brexit you score null points! Not in the least surprising.

Look, it's quite simple. When we joined the EU there was the prospect of free trade with 500million on our doorstep. Download www.Sep.iec.ac.uk to see how that trade grew steadily over time.

If you want to call it a leap of faith fine. I call it a calculated risk with good reasons to accept that the calculation it was based on made economic sense.  You will see the steady rise of exports, good enough for me to be satisfied that the intent was being progressivly  satisfied over time.

What is the calculated risk behind Brexit for economic growth? All calculation currently show that no Brexit scenario will result in a good outcome.

It's not a difficult question. Back to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Why would they need special visa's for a Holiday visit?

I'd have thought the main problem would be the addition taxes the French could apply.

If you read the thread, they’re offering to bribe the local Mayor to give them an exemption for retiring there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IMHAL said:

It's not a difficult question. Back to you.

I'm not talking about prospects and possibilities about what might happen, i'm simply talking about the plan. You are talking about what happened but a plan is something with an objective and means. To repeat, yet again, what was that objective and what were the means? What was the plan, not in airy fairy terms but in concrete terms?

What was the plan in 1973 that is the equivalent to your plan for Brexit, to put it yet another way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, crouch said:

I'm not talking about prospects and possibilities about what might happen, i'm simply talking about the plan. You are talking about what happened but a plan is something with an objective and means. To repeat, yet again, what was that objective and what were the means? What was the plan, not in airy fairy terms but in concrete terms?

What was the plan in 1973 that is the equivalent to your plan for Brexit, to put it yet another way?

In 1973 we were playing catch up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, crouch said:

What was the plan in 1973 that is the equivalent to your plan for Brexit, to put it yet another way?

Entering and leaving a trade block are not equivalent and interchangeable.
I think it is clear that entering any trade block has an implied plan - to increase the wealth of the nation through increased trade and therefore economic activity (e.g. massive investment by Japanese car manufacturers in the UK), and along with that, once being a member, to influence the trading block to favour policies aligned with our own interests (e..g the UK veto).
Conversely, leaving a trade block doesn't have a implied plan - we're facing the possibility of doing without trade benefits (and therefore economic benefits) that we are currently enjoying: so we either need to seek alternatives (e.g. trade deals with other partners) - or just tighten our belts and accept the fact we will be worse off.

An analogy: We go on holiday and I book us into a hotel. You don't like the hotel rules and cost so you suggest we leave the hotel and go camping instead. I say, okay, that's fine, but  what's your plan for warmth and shelter? You reply: we didn't plan for warmth and shelter when we went into your hotel, so why the hell should we suddenly have to have a plan now we're leaving the hotel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, StuartMc said:

Entering and leaving a trade block are not equivalent and interchangeable.
I think it is clear that entering any trade block has an implied plan - to increase the wealth of the nation through increased trade and therefore economic activity (e.g. massive investment by Japanese car manufacturers in the UK), and along with that, once being a member, to influence the trading block to favour policies aligned with our own interests (e..g the UK veto).
Conversely, leaving a trade block doesn't have a implied plan - we're facing the possibility of doing without trade benefits (and therefore economic benefits) that we are currently enjoying: so we either need to seek alternatives (e.g. trade deals with other partners) - or just tighten our belts and accept the fact we will be worse off.

An analogy: We go on holiday and I book us into a hotel. You don't like the hotel rules and cost so you suggest we leave the hotel and go camping instead. I say, okay, that's fine, but  what's your plan for warmth and shelter? You reply: we didn't plan for warmth and shelter when we went into your hotel, so why the hell should we suddenly have to have a plan now we're leaving the hotel?

Entry in 1973 was seen economically as a hope that some of the economic magic in the six would rub off on us; their growth in GDP per capita had been significantly higher than ours since the war. The irony is that the European magic peaked at just the time we went in.

More subtle but no less important reasons related to the opening up of the UK to European competition in order to rid ourselves of the industrial efficiences which have been a feature of the UK for years. If Brexit results in industrial feather bedding then we really will be in trouble.

As to leaving you're preaching to the converted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, crouch said:

I'm not talking about prospects and possibilities about what might happen, i'm simply talking about the plan. You are talking about what happened but a plan is something with an objective and means. To repeat, yet again, what was that objective and what were the means? What was the plan, not in airy fairy terms but in concrete terms?

What was the plan in 1973 that is the equivalent to your plan for Brexit, to put it yet another way?

I will accept an economic plan for Brexit, even in airy fairy terms, perhaps some sort of rational behind it?......anything that makes some sense! (except the rationall that goes 'the EU will break-up any moment now...honest gov!')

Lets' put it this way. The original rational proposed for Brexit was that China and the far east was where growth was and that we'd be better off hitching our waggon to then... it was the BIG THING a few years ago on this thread. That kind of made some sense at least (barring the fact that they are not on our doorstep and trade deals with China would mean big problems for our IP).  Of course, that waggon is now dust/verbotten. The USA? On all acocunts there is not much to be gained by that.

From the link I posted previously  - you can see growth of exports from the UK to the EEC/EU right from the off. We did not have to wait 25 years to get that growth. In the same vein I expect to see our economic position grow due to Brexit...right from the off. If not that we should question the rational behind Brexit..... and change direction pronto if it is found wanting.

Lets's face it. If there is no plan/rational for Brexit and it is found not to be delivering and delivering soon... then we have to accept that there never was a rational that made any sense.....at that point, it shoud be binned at the earliest possible opportunity. I expect that people will soon come round to this POV once they see past the Brexit means Brexit malarky. 

Edited by IMHAL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IMHAL said:

 

Lets' put it this way. The original rational proposed for Brexit was that China and the far east was where growth was and that we'd be better off hitching our waggon to then... it was the BIG THING a few years ago on this thread. That kind of made some sense at least (barring the fact that they are not on our doorstep and trade deals with China would mean big problems for our IP).  Of course, that waggon is now dust/verbotten. The USA? On all acocunts there is not much to be gained by that.

Global Britain = China First.

You don't hear the Tufton Street mob talk about it so much now. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zugzwang said:

Global Britain = China First.

You don't hear the Tufton Street mob talk about it so much now. :D

As has been observed on this thread many many times before. Leavers change what little rational they have with the wind. There is no economic sense in Brexit ... no getting away from it. Soon to be felt for real by the average bod on the streets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • 399 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.