House Price Crash Forum

The Official Brexit - Remain Thread - All New Threads Will Be Merged Into This One

spyguy

HOLA441
  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

In all fairness, anybody who gets confused by that will probably get lost on their way to the polling station anyway.

Not everybody is that bright, already mentioned the visual impairment issue and just plain carelessness having been at the boozer all evening. We are talking millions of vote, and may be we only need a few thousand to swing this. a big REMAIN and a big LEAVE as the question is asked above would have been the best format imo.

HOLA444

I haven't met one that can tell the difference between the EU and Europe yet.

I'd like to know why someone votes Remain. I'd genuinely be impressed if they could make an even slightly compelling argument that doesn't involve any fear stories.

HOLA445

I put a post up - stating that for me the EU is undemocratic, and the only way to change it is vote leave.

I don't want to ram it down people's throats. But I do want to declare my position.

I am the only one who has come out leave, but I know for a fact there are other leavers in my circle - they are however keeping quiet.

Yup.

More abuse and patronising bilge overnight.

Made the heretical mistake of posting the "Four Lies" story, and pointing out that the "totally impartial" Scouse academic was a totally biased paid stooge, and got absolutely fecking mullered by the South East Leftie brigade. Accused of all sorts, and no doubt its going to take a lot of sorting out afterwards - with the ones I can be arsed to sort it out with.

But what the hell. If I've persuaded just a couple of "Undecideds" to vote "Out," then then it was worth it. FFS, Some people have put their whole careers and reputations on the line, to campaign for what they believe is the right vote, and stand up for free speech. A couple of school teachers and public sector drones having a hissy fit isn't really a showstopper!!

HID to all, and hang in there. At least it's not SJD anymore... (clue - the Patron Saint of the Three Pound Carwash... :) )

B

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I'd like to know why someone votes Remain. I'd genuinely be impressed if they could make an even slightly compelling argument that doesn't involve any fear stories.

So the UK can remain a leader in the world's largest market rather than just a normal country.

While the UK plays above it's weight on the world stage due to being present on a number of international bodies, our presence in the EU enhances this power and that is how I would like it to remain.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It's financially and democratically bankrupt FFS.

So the UK can remain a leader in the world's largest market rather than just a normal country.

While the UK plays above it's weight on the world stage due to being present on a number of international bodies, our presence in the EU enhances this power and that is how I would like it to remain.

HOLA4413

I wonder if we will see a variant on the "shy Tories" a la GE 2015 but with "shy brexiters"? I know in London it is completely taboo to admit you are pro-brexit. It is like admitting to being a kiddy fiddler.

I think there's a lot of quiet brexit voters out there.

HOLA4414

Have now voted - #Leave. Things need to change and a out vote would be the start (PR, House of Lords reform...)

Have noticed Facebook is still full of people trying to push the Remain vote - mostly pushing party lines. Have started 'unfollowing'. Whatever the outcome, this vote will be significant.

HOLA4415

I wonder if we will see a variant on the "shy Tories" a la GE 2015 but with "shy brexiters"? I know in London it is completely taboo to admit you are pro-brexit. It is like admitting to being a kiddy fiddler.

Perhaps the Google prediction sheds some light on this - very few can hide their desires from Google. It probably knows more about you than you do (unless of course you fight back and block its scripts - which would still allow Google to profile you from searches and the fact you're paranoid :P). I know a few parties in the office who would get quite animated if I came out as a Brexiter, though others in the office have been able too due to their position of authority, I would be jumped on immediately I suspect. I was a "Shy Tory", still keep that from those outside my immediately family by avoiding the subject altogether.

HOLA4416

Perhaps the Google prediction sheds some light on this - very few can hide their desires from Google. It probably knows more about you than you do (unless of course you fight back and block its scripts - which would still allow Google to profile you from searches and the fact you're paranoid :P). I know a few parties in the office who would get quite animated if I came out as a Brexiter, though others in the office have been able too due to their position of authority, I would be jumped on immediately I suspect. I was a "Shy Tory", still keep that from those outside my immediately family by avoiding the subject altogether.

My office is littered with Remainers, but I outed myself some time ago. Didn't get much abuse, probably due to not being eligible to vote :P but they clearly cannot wrap their heads around the idea of an immigrant leftie supporting Brexit. At least it got them thinking for a while ;)

HOLA4417

Some hogwash from FB (now unfriended):

Since I'm not home to vote tomorrow I've already done my postal vote and I'm voting remain.

I've swung between both sides and initially I was in the leave camp, but when you read and listen to what educated, non-politicians say you realise that almost every person is in the remain camp.

The EU might not be perfect, but we're better in than out.

Baa baa... follow the flock. Baa.

HOLA4418

There is only one right answer in this debate and those who are logical and have taken the time to understand the arguments, will very obviously vote to leave the EU. That FB post looks like low IQ bait, I don't believe anyone would change their vote on the back of it.

Some hogwash from FB (now unfriended):

Since I'm not home to vote tomorrow I've already done my postal vote and I'm voting remain.

I've swung between both sides and initially I was in the leave camp, but when you read and listen to what educated, non-politicians say you realise that almost every person is in the remain camp.

The EU might not be perfect, but we're better in than out.

Baa baa... follow the flock. Baa.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I think there's a lot of quiet brexit voters out there.

Think it depends on where you live, in the rural shires it would be unusual to pin your mast to Remain. Leave definitely more vocal where I live....even so there are pockets of Remain in not so leafy and trendy left wing Matlock Bath and Wirksworth.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Also I don't know where this idea that in London it's taboo to be a Brexiter. By London do you mean Islington? I have family in Croydon and Penge and they are all Brexiters with exception to one of the naive daughters who's at University in Australia or something.

I drove up that way to Bromley recently, loads of Leave signs. I guess it was part of Kent at one point so perhaps they retain their rebellious nature? :)

Edited by spunko2010

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My extrovert acquaintances are loudly announcing their Remain decision on social media.

My introvert acquaintances are silent about the referendum until I ask them in person and they are generally pro Brexit.

It might be a fanciful thought but there appears to me to be a correlation between extroversion and Remaining in the EU!