House Price Crash Forum

Supermarket Products Get Smaller ... But Prices Stay The Same Size

Errol

HOLA441

They've done the same with houses but have also increased the price. ;)

Seriously though, I wonder if the ONS takes this shrinkage in size into account when calculating inflation? Somehow I suspect not it probably has 6 pack of crisps and doesn't care if the packs inside are 25g or 35g.

no they don't...that's why official inflation has stayed so low.

the "official" basket of goods will say :

1 *4 roll pack of toilet tissue

3* mars bars

2* chicken breast fillets

1* packet of egg noodles

1* 12 pack of beef stock cubes

etc etc

they can mix and match around the brands etc to fiddle the index down, because they know most people will generally stick to one known brand of stuff they like......ie deodorant, because they like the smell/taste.

Edited by oracle

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It has got to the stage where I now weigh toilet rolls on the scales in fruit and veg area, work out the value by weight....most of them are full of air with huge holes in the tube.....on the continent you can buy compact toilet rolls, very much better value for money and not such a waste of money and space.....

:-))

HOLA443

160419-1157.jpg

160419-1151.jpg

I see the war against the discounters continues. In Asda, Tesco, the big brands are sending in their own people to make sure their product is on the shelf, by pulling forward, and filling up. Unilever, and Wikinson Sword reps above, I've seen them on more than a few occasions.

HOLA444
HOLA445

160419-1157.jpg

160419-1151.jpg

I see the war against the discounters continues. In Asda, Tesco, the big brands are sending in their own people to make sure their product is on the shelf, by pulling forward, and filling up. Unilever, and Wikinson Sword reps above, I've seen them on more than a few occasions.

What a rewarding career. I do hope they have degrees at least.

HOLA446

Why would the big stores promoting that they cannot be beaten on the price of branded goods when very many people have stopped purchasing branded stuff or cut down to maybe one or two products.

Who cares what name it has.....people now want quality, something that is healthy and value for money.....many branded goods offer neither........word of mouth, taste, weight, and most importantly ingredients.....as they say, what you are buying is written in the small print....in the news recently saying certain well known pre-made sauces are full of salt, sugar and fat......processed.

Edit:....always found certain razors very expensive for what they are.....there must be better more effective alternatives?

Edited by winkie

HOLA447
HOLA448
Edit:....always found certain razors very expensive for what they are.....there must be better more effective alternatives?

Double-edged razor; get a razor from Merkur or Muhle (£20 to £30 new) and use disposable blades (about £2 to £4 for 10) with a brush (£3 upwards for synthetic) and Palmolive shave stick (50p). Much better shave, but a small learning curve.

HOLA449
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410

Honey, I Shrunk the Groceries!!

On today’s episode of Double Down, hosts Max Keiser and Stacy Herbert are joined by best selling author, Pippa Malmgren, to discuss ‘shrinkflation:’ when deflation in grocery packaging size masks real inflation in prices.

http://sputniknews.com/radio_double_down/20160510/1039362407/honey-i-shrunk-the-groceries.html

Edited by Errol

HOLA4411

To be fair, there's such pressure around both salt & sugar levels, that sometimes the only way to hit the target is to reduce the portion sizes!

At gate 2 of the development process, the retailer buyers decide the RSP (retail sales price). This is the single biggest determinant of how much goes into the pack.

In the interest of full disclosure, I supplied the retailers with own brand foods for 6 years.

• 9 months later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
On 10/5/2016 at 4:21 PM, John The Pessimist said:

To be fair, there's such pressure around both salt & sugar levels, that sometimes the only way to hit the target is to reduce the portion sizes!

At gate 2 of the development process, the retailer buyers decide the RSP (retail sales price). This is the single biggest determinant of how much goes into the pack.

In the interest of full disclosure, I supplied the retailers with own brand foods for 6 years.

I don't have a problem with chocolate shrinkflation. When you're pushing on to middle age like I am and in danger of becoming a fat b*stard, then a reduction in sugar is no bad thing!

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, NuBrit said:

I don't have a problem with chocolate shrinkflation. 

It isn't a question of whether people have a problem with it or not. I would like a choice. There should be two types of product - the one kept the same size with increased price, and a smaller one with a lower price. Then people can choose.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4415
13 minutes ago, Errol said:

It isn't a question of whether people have a problem with it or not. I would like a choice. Their should be two types of product - the one kept the same size with increased price, and a smaller one with a lower price. Then people can choose.

But then the company will need two moulds on the go.

HOLA4416
31 minutes ago, Errol said:

The last one on the list is wrong (as can be seen from the picture that comes with it). Sainsbury's actually increased the pack size of the taste the difference sausages from six large sausages or 12 chipolatas to eight large sausages or 16 chipolatas in a pack. I think they even made them cheaper per sausage - the 6/12 packs were £2.50 IIRC and the 8/16 packs are £3.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:48 PM, 200p said:

160419-1157.jpg

160419-1151.jpg

This has always happened. MrsLTS has employed merchandisers to conduct store visits in her last two companies and partly this is to ensure the retailers stick to their side of the bargain with displays and promotions. The pay is ~£25k plus liveried van and every employee in this role has taken the pee as it's not a very rigid or monitored role. In her new job 3 people like this were some of the very first to go. 

As for Aldi/Lidl... I think they perpetuated the old wives tale that you'll save 30% on your shopping basket as it's simply not true. They don't compare like-for-like, worse than the ONS for manipulating figures. Substituting branded goods for their own in the comparisons. Chocolate and other snacks maybe but everything else very little difference in savings and not worth the downgrade in shopper experience. Aldi quality is not up to the standard of the big for though Lidl probably is. They've been guilty of shrinkflation too. Personally, I support Sainsbury's as a responsible retailer and value their presence as a shareholder. We all have a stake in these UK listed companies somehow (pension funds) and should not pretend they or capitalism is evil.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 4/21/2016 at 6:09 PM, oracle said:

no they don't...that's why official inflation has stayed so low.

the "official" basket of goods will say :

1 *4 roll pack of toilet tissue

3* mars bars

2* chicken breast fillets

1* packet of egg noodles

1* 12 pack of beef stock cubes

etc etc

they can mix and match around the brands etc to fiddle the index down, because they know most people will generally stick to one known brand of stuff they like......ie deodorant, because they like the smell/taste.

Nonsense. Of course they do

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 hours ago, This time said:

The last one on the list is wrong (as can be seen from the picture that comes with it). Sainsbury's actually increased the pack size of the taste the difference sausages from six large sausages or 12 chipolatas to eight large sausages or 16 chipolatas in a pack. I think they even made them cheaper per sausage - the 6/12 packs were £2.50 IIRC and the 8/16 packs are £3.

Wholesale pork prices have crashed since the sanctions were placed on Russia, which had been a significant export market for European pork.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4425