House Price Crash Forum
Errol

Supermarket Products Get Smaller ... But Prices Stay The Same Size

Of course, no sign of inflation here. Everything is fine. Move along.

Supermarket products get smaller ... but prices stay the same size
Hundreds of items, including toilet rolls and biscuits, see de facto price rise as package sizes shrink, according to research by Which?
In its latest round-up of shrinking groceries, Which? found that toilet rolls, chocolate biscuits and orange juice were among the popular shopping items that had had a de facto price increase. Which? researchers found that Andrex had cut the number of sheets on its standard toilet rolls from 240 to 221 sheets – an 8% fall. The price had remained roughly £2 for four rolls, the watchdog found.
Those who enjoy a McVitie’s dark chocolate digestive biscuit are also set to be disappointed. Which? found the packet had decreased from 332g to 300g, a reduction of more than 10%. These had sold in Tesco for £1.59 before the packet size shrank, but had increased to £1.69 afterwards, it said. Tropicana Creations Pure Premium orange and raspberry juice decreased from 1 litre to 850ml, a 15% reduction, yet it had remained at £2.48 in Asda.

Except bananas.

Theyve been 68p forever.

Brands producing stuff in factories & sold at Tesco et al are the main culprit.

It's not just a food issue:

The latest research found that it is not only food items that were being shrunk. Dettol Power and Pure bathroom wipes decreased from 36 to 32 wipes a packet, an 11% reduction, but remained at £2 in Tesco.

Of course, no sign of inflation here. Everything is fine. Move along.

Supermarket products get smaller ... but prices stay the same size

Those who enjoy a McVitie’s dark chocolate digestive biscuit are also set to be disappointed. Which? found the packet had decreased from 332g to 300g, a reduction of more than 10%.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/20/supermarket-products-smaller-size-prices-stay-same

Actually a reduction of about 9.64%.

Just had a Boost chocolate bar ....they have morphed into something akin to Cadburys heroes ....got to keep those inflation figures low to justify zirp ?

Edited by long time lurking

I was ranting about the size of multipack items yesterday. If a Mars Bar is 50g and they advertise a four pack of Mars Bars why do you only get 4 x 40g bars in the pack? It winds me right up! If the standard unit is clearly defined and widely accepted then they shouldn't be permitted to pull this scam, unless the pack is clearly labelled to clarify that something different is being bought!

Simple solution.

Don't buy branded products. Ignore all the so called deals, 2 for 1's etc.

Shop at Lidl / Aldi whatever and buy their own brands, Most of the problem solved.

Still, bet the ONS BOE and govt ever will be honest in regards inflation, they will continue to hide behind dodgy stats.

Was thinking today...take out the oil price collapse and inflation has still been bad....factor in the insane house prices and they really should be I aiding rates....MPs fiddle while the country burns

Was thinking today...take out the oil price collapse and inflation has still been bad....factor in the insane house prices and they really should be I aiding rates....MPs fiddle while the country burns

Indeed,

Wonder what tricks they will use to hide an oil price recovery, the falling dollar will to some extent allow large part fo the third world to buy more oil. We'll be facing the brunt of raised costs soon with absolutely NOTHING done to address the real problems.

Still, will allow a few more crooks to pass through the system and escape responsibility for their actions.

It's manly the branded goods with manufactures trying to keep their earnings up in the 0% interest rate environment. Shop at Lidl and Aldi and you don't get 'much' shrinkflation. I did notice that in Lidl the bags of prawn's have shrunk.

Of course it has - IMO we've never seen genuine falls in the cost of living, prices have constantly risen even in the wake of the biggest credit bubble in history bursting when there should have been massive deflation.

People say that QE didn't induce consumer inflation - it absolutely did it's just that it had to overcome a lot of deflationary pressure first.

Indeed,

Wonder what tricks they will use to hide an oil price recovery, the falling dollar will to some extent allow large part fo the third world to buy more oil. We'll be facing the brunt of raised costs soon with absolutely NOTHING done to address the real problems.

Still, will allow a few more crooks to pass through the system and escape responsibility for their actions.

Petrol already up by 4p a litre in the space of little over a month where I fill up.

As you say, without falling energy prices to cover things up it will be difficult to mask inflation but given that even when oil prices were roaring to all time highs (and other stuff was rocketing in price too) inflation somehow stayed under 5%, they have the system well rigged to cover it up.

It has got to the stage where I now weigh toilet rolls on the scales in fruit and veg area, work out the value by weight....most of them are full of air with huge holes in the tube.....on the continent you can buy compact toilet rolls, very much better value for money and not such a waste of money and space.....

Hello Hello...is this a post from 2008?

Been going on for years.

Coppella was the first one i noticed.

"Great New Size!" it said on the side of the bottle.

The ONS would count that as a quality improvement and make it a deflationary factor.

I phoned a manufacturer to ask why their popular branded product had shrunk from 250g to 200g in exactly the same box......they said their customers preferred the smaller size!!!! I kid you not......from that day stopped buying it....found a non-branded product that was as good for the greater weight and slightly lower price.....never looked back. ;)

Praise be! It helps keep infłation at initial examination, low. Bloody Plebs.

Indeed.

you wondered how on earth they kept CPI(and people's pay rises) so low....

here's your answer.

weren't we bleating on about this stuff five years or so ago???

so I guess that's everybody on the streets on general strike DEMANDING a 15% pay rise immediately

(truth is that counts for sod all if the money you then have to repay in taxes is being spent badly)

Edited by oracle

They've done the same with houses but have also increased the price. ;)

Seriously though, I wonder if the ONS takes this shrinkage in size into account when calculating inflation? Somehow I suspect not it probably has 6 pack of crisps and doesn't care if the packs inside are 25g or 35g.

They've done the same with houses but have also increased the price. ;)

Seriously though, I wonder if the ONS takes this shrinkage in size into account when calculating inflation? Somehow I suspect not it probably has 6 pack of crisps and doesn't care if the packs inside are 25g or 35g.

Apparently they do http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2232345/Its-official-shrinking-chocolate-bars-ARE-factor-rising-inflation.html