House Price Crash Forum

The £ Is Dropping

AC44

HOLA441

On the food thingy. I am forever amazed when driving round the countryside as to the almost total lack of animals. I know we have had foot and mouth and other goodies, but where the hell are all the herds and flocks? The fields used to be full of them.

Two possible reasons. It's all factory farming with animals in warehouses being fed God knows what or its all imported. Anyone shed light?

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

On the food thingy. I am forever amazed when driving round the countryside as to the almost total lack of animals. I know we have had foot and mouth and other goodies, but where the hell are all the herds and flocks? The fields used to be full of them.

Two possible reasons. It's all factory farming with animals in warehouses being fed God knows what or its all imported. Anyone shed light?

Why farm livestock when you farm subsidies instead.

Hold the land and sell it.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Have you ever been to a properly organic, eco-friendly farm? They produce small quanities but in harmony with nature - no chemicals, wild-flowers and grasses everywhere, natural woodland. Teeming with wildlife - birds, insects, large mammals etc. All totally unspoilt. Clearly much better for the environment by any measure.

I don't want to take this tread even more off track (if that's possible) but Stanford University Med School reviewed all available evidence re benefits/impact of organic v conventional in 2014 and is worth a read - cannot find the link right now but will have another look when I have time.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Depends where you are.

Some areas of the country (predominantly the East side) are blessed with good arable land and less rainfall, so most of the farming there is cereals, oilseed rape, potatos and other veg etc. Poor soils and heavy rainfall tend to favour grass (for grazing/silage etc.). There's a trend away from extensive cattle grazing systems to a more intensive system where cattle are kept in sheds with access to a couple of fields (in spring/summer only) with supplementary food being brought in as silage (grass and maize) + other feeds. The rest of the fields are under grass or maize and never see an animal. The reason for this is that cattle churn up fields something rotten, reducing grass yields and allowing weeds to thrive. Managing your grass as a crop is much more efficient.

If you go to upland Britain you'll see plenty of sheep in spring/summer. "Dog and stick" farming is still very extensive.

Pigs and poultry are now overwhelmingly reared in sheds, although there is a small free range market. Free range poultry in the typical big units tend not to go outside much - their sheds are more comfortable!

Edited by InlikeFlynn

HOLA4410

Have you ever been to a properly organic, eco-friendly farm? They produce small quanities but in harmony with nature - no chemicals, wild-flowers and grasses everywhere, natural woodland. Teeming with wildlife - birds, insects, large mammals etc. All totally unspoilt. Clearly much better for the environment by any measure.

I live next to an organic farm. It's edge-to-edge greenhouses, not a spot of wildlife anywhere.

The non-organic farmer on the other side grows wheat (uncovered) and there is plenty of life in there.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Some of us saw this coming and posted about it on here. The £ is looking little better than Farepak tokens.

I've been converting my £ to real stuff as fast as I could when opportunities presented themselves. An underpriced house in the 2010 dip (only one I found in 8 years searching), equities in the Jan 2016 dip. Basically anything that has some actual value and legal protection.

The central banks want to make their currencies look weak to encourage consumption/exports but for me, all it does it make me want to seek out anything that is likely to maintain some real value, I simply don't want to increase consumption.

Work is exchanging time for £. It becomes less and less worth it. If I was single, I would go back to the US to earn 2x UK salary again, worked out well for me in the past.

You have bought real stuff but both the income and the proceeds from the sale of the real stuff, are still denominated in Farepak tokens. .

USD as one example is up 38% v GBP since October 2007. Wouldn't you have a lot more income and paper wealth, if you had swapped your Farepak tokens for say USD?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

You have bought real stuff but both the income and the proceeds from the sale of the real stuff, are still denominated in Farepak tokens. .

USD as one example is up 38% v GBP since October 2007. Wouldn't you have a lot more income and paper wealth, if you had swapped your Farepak tokens for say USD?

House provides real shelter. Equities mostly FTSE100 so lots of foreign earnings.

HOLA4419

If the Italian banking crisis becomes a reality, do we think that this could halt the decline of the pound against Euro, or can the Eurozone prop up Italy and thus avoid the situation we are now finding ourselves in?

All it would take is a Eurozone crisis and GBP would suddenly be a safe haven .. of course, generally the Dollar is the ultimate winner in crises as it the the prime fiat currency and will be the last to fall.

HOLA4420

House provides real shelter. Equities mostly FTSE100 so lots of foreign earnings.

QE sees equities rise.....has little correlation to the health of the company...like easy credit and hpi has little correlation to the health of the economy.;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Good food isn't cheap.

I'm talking about good cuts of meat from named grass-fed/organic herds, organic vegetables, high quality coffee/chocolate/fruit/wine etc etc.

What you see as good, many others do not...... agree processed is not always good, fast food take away will most probably not be good, organic is one way to sell OK foods at high prices...home made wine is good because you know what went into it, so is homemade bread, costs very little but tastes great, breast of lamb is good so is liver and kidneys......I can sell them to you and double the price, just like belly of pork....people are fickle, because they do not know what is good for them....they believe in all the hype.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4423

All it would take is a Eurozone crisis and GBP would suddenly be a safe haven .. of course, generally the Dollar is the ultimate winner in crises as it the the prime fiat currency and will be the last to fall.

I disagree. Historically the US dollar and Swiss Franc have been the safe haven currencies.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425