House Price Crash Forum

Pensioner Bonds To Pay 2.8% And 4%

HOLA441

It is not the amount it is the principle......everyone or nobody, let everybody get a better rate on £5k.....what this policy is telling all people is some are valued more than others....their hard earned money is worth more....sorry it stinks.

what` new everything stinks , can`t see how a few hundred quid is going to help anybody , stick rates up for savers to 5% charge people in debt more simple ! cant pay ? sell your house ,then for a loss if needed .

Edited by longgone

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It's about £180 extra a year after basic rate tax for a qualifying person for as long as the schemes last. Likely it's a pre-election one off for 2015.

If you withdraw money early you lose 90 days interest. You can't arrange it in a branch which will put off a lot of people (not all) above the qualifying age just to start with.

It might garner a few votes but it seems far from a clincher. Probably the government is desperate for some extra money itself - maybe for some more pre-election "promises"?

The 2.8% and 4% rates are being presented as the tops in generosity which is really laughable.

You are of course right....the idea is to make out they are giving 'special' people something the rest can't have....all psychological mind games......how to win friends and influence people...not.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

of course it is only the well off pensioners who can lock away 40K per couple without denting their standard of living - and they will pay tax on the interest.

I can see the under 65s persuading the over 65s to invest on their behalf (using of course the NI number of the pensioner - who may not be a tax payer ;) ) - I hope the pensioner keeps the money :lol:

Over a lifetime of work £40k of non-house assets is nothing. It's going to guarantee you'll still be fully controlled by the UK government because you'll only have your State Pension plus circa £1k a year to live on. Hardly a 'well of pensioner'.

Not saying Pensioner Bonds are a vote bribe. Personally I would have preferred them to bring back their ILSC's. Cheaper for the UK tax payer also.

HOLA448

are these worth investing in? is 10k really going to make much difference , if there was a limit of a few 100k it might be worth while

I would if I could. Many small things add up to big things over time.

I've been experimenting with RateSetter P2P of late to try and do better than a savings account. Currently 1 year paying around 3.5% and 3 year at around 4.8%. So better than these government bribes but of course a very different risk profile also. Still as I'm not a pensioner (or one of the other preferenced groups) I have to make my own way in the world of 'capitalism' while being blocked by government interventions every where I look.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I get why Osborne is doing this. He's sat down and done the arithmetic, and he reckons he will do better on election day if he takes £400 off my wages to give to some 2-car-4-bed detached 1940s-born couple than if he lets me keep the cash. He's probably right.

He...like the Scottish no side...does not understand the power of twitter.

Open your account today...tell everyone why not to vote tory labour or lib demand ever again.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

And.. they have been extended to, you guessed it, after the general election:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31241867

Buying votes has never been so obvious and so cheap.

Let's hope it backfires on them. There are those who object to bribery and act accordingly.

If I were eligible I would buy the full £40K worth (for a couple), pocket the extra £400 or £500 a year and smile whilst voting UKIP.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Let's hope it backfires on them. There are those who object to bribery and act accordingly.

If I were eligible I would buy the full £40K worth (for a couple), pocket the extra £400 or £500 a year and smile whilst voting UKIP.

Hopefully this product, and its seemingly generous interest rates, will be made thoroughly worthless as market rates rise back to 5%+ as the pound, and other western currencies, finally start to crumble.

The 'crowd' is usually wrong - at least on timing things vis a vis financial markets.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

And.. they have been extended to, you guessed it, after the general election:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31241867

Buying votes has never been so obvious and so cheap.

He doesn't care. I think research concludes that home-ownership and greater investments tend to lead to a conservative voting bias, whatever that actually means today. Even if it doesn't this is classic ponzi econopolitics - getting a critical mass into the game and therefore feeling dependent on its continuity.

HOLA4417

He doesn't care. I think research concludes that home-ownership and greater investments tend to lead to a conservative voting bias, whatever that actually means today. Even if it doesn't this is classic ponzi econopolitics - getting a critical mass into the game and therefore feeling dependent on its continuity.

More than £1bn in bonds were sold in the first two days of the scheme and 600,000 people have now signed up.

National Savings and Investments (NS&I) are offering up to £10bn in bonds. However, Mr Osborne said he expected this figure to be extended to £15bn and the deadline moved until after 15 May, a week after the general election.

One could adopt the rather more cynical (if thats possible) interpretation which might be that if theyve only sold c £6bn (guessing - 600k x £10k) that since most of the sales will have been at launch theyre not confident theyll even sell the initial allocation of £10bn. he could say hell raise it to £50bn. Its pure politics at this stage. Desperate to bribe back a few Kippers.

Edited by R K

HOLA4418

One could adopt the rather more cynical (if thats possible) interpretation which might be that if theyve only sold c £6bn (guessing - 600k x £10k) that since most of the sales will have been at launch theyre not confident theyll even sell the initial allocation of £10bn. he could say hell raise it to £50bn. Its pure politics at this stage. Desperate to bribe back a few Kippers.

Yes if that's possible. Maybe pure politics as it gets a lot of lovely headlines. It's not even a extra bung to pensioners, but a bung to well-off pensioners who likely already vote conservative. I have no idea why a ukip supporting pensioner would switch votes on this basis, but then I have no idea why any asset-wealthy pensioner supports ukip when their hopes and dreams basically depend on population growth.

HOLA4419

Yes if that's possible. Maybe pure politics as it gets a lot of lovely headlines. It's not even a extra bung to pensioners, but a bung to well-off pensioners who likely already vote conservative. I have no idea why a ukip supporting pensioner would switch votes on this basis, but then I have no idea why any asset-wealthy pensioner supports ukip when their hopes and dreams basically depend on population growth.

Because your average kipper asset wealthy pensioner doesn't understand that.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Yes, most boomers are a)still working, b)on the dole or c) don't have 10k to take up the full offer (ie to get that 120 quid per year) and besides need that money for the many rainy days anyway.

The assumed boomer , you know the one with a massive company pension, the full state pension, 3x buy-to-lets, a 4 bed detached etc etc is, by and large a work of fiction for you all to focus on, maybe around 5% of that age group, a useful scape goat rather than have you taking aim at successive governments and bankers who are the psychopathic criminals we should be hanging out to dry. If you don't agree then perhaps you should take it out on your own parents. or are they not part of the 5% either?

HOLA4422

Are these pensioner bonds a stealth way of getting hoarded money out of private bank accounts and into government / treasury hands?

They are targeting the only group with large amounts of cash on deposit.

We all know the shower has been trying everything to get savings out of deposit accounts and into the economy.

I'd be very wary about trying to make a couple hundred quid extra at the expense of allowing the shower to get their hands on my savings.

HOLA4423

Yes, most boomers are a)still working, b)on the dole or c) don't have 10k to take up the full offer (ie to get that 120 quid per year) and besides need that money for the many rainy days anyway.

The assumed boomer , you know the one with a massive company pension, the full state pension, 3x buy-to-lets, a 4 bed detached etc etc is, by and large a work of fiction for you all to focus on, maybe around 5% of that age group, a useful scape goat rather than have you taking aim at successive governments and bankers who are the psychopathic criminals we should be hanging out to dry. If you don't agree then perhaps you should take it out on your own parents. or are they not part of the 5% either?

+1

most so-called 'generation boomer' do not have 20K to invest -_- - and not need it for unexpected expenses/bills

HOLA4424

£20k locked away over the two accounts at an average of 3.4%...

Or, £20k instant access and with further cash back deals for direct debits etc at 3% (assuming tax free) with Santander's 123 account.

If I were in a position to choose, I think the flexibility of the Santander account offsets the 0.4% lower interest rate.

HOLA4425