House Price Crash Forum

The Vacuum Cleaner Police Are Coming

HOLA441

Ten days left to vacuum up a powerful cleaner

The EU says most vacuum cleaners waste too much energy. Anyone wanting to buy a powerful vacuum cleaner has only 10 days left to be certain of getting one - following new EU rules that come in next month. From 1 September, companies in the EU will be banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1600 watts.
The consumer organisation Which? says many of the models involved were rated as "best buys" by its researchers.
Another genius idea from the EU (or more likely some lobby group / vested interest)
So we all have less powerful hoovers and spend twice as long cleaning each room, thats not actually going to save any power is it?
(I have been checking the online websites and top of the range hoovers are all going out of stock very quickly - people are buying hoovers they don't need and storing them in the attic)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

im all for this, love giving people my money to tell me what I can buy, why should I think when I can subcontract it out to others and pay them more than I could dream of? Great Britain just got a whole lot greater, soon war with Russia and Eurasia and I can sleep easy knowing my goderment is protecting me from my own free will and freedom through the use of force, intimidation and violence.

first they came for the light bulbs, then they came for the hoovers, now they are coming for my kettle and tea bags, pity they already took the mugs.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Shave your pets instead. Problem solved.

oh what a typically "viz" solution!!

expect EU directive on pet hair shortly-probably involves taking your pet for a 6 monthly MOT at EU approved inspector with a pair of calipers, measuring the hair for maximum "tread",sort of like tyres in reverse!

Edited by oracle

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Great idea. It will encourage the development of more efficient machines that use less energy and at the same time get fat UK women a bit less fat.

My Mum has a vintage 1970s Hoover Constellation vacuum in her loft that once belonged to my grand mother.

Praised at the time for its 'sheer power' it has a mighty 600 watt engine.

Most vacuums of that era pulled far less juice from the wall.

How did we ever survive back then.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My Mum has a vintage 1970s Hoover Constellation vacuum in her loft that once belonged to my grand mother.

Praised at the time for its 'sheer power' it has a mighty 600 watt engine.

Most vacuums of that era pulled far less juice from the wall.

How did we ever survive back then.

Old cleaners were rubbish, but back then a lot of people didnt have very many carpets/rugs - the heavy lifting was done with a carpet beater each spring.

HOLA4419

will it be illegal to sell them second hand?

No the regulation covers manufacture and importing so second hand will be fine - and they may well appreciate in value particularly to pet owners.

The really stupid thing about this regulation is they are assuming that manufacturers will somehow be able to make cleaners more efficient, would it be too much to ask the EUrocrats to work with manufacturers to see what's possible before changing the law.

100+ years of Electrical engineering research has shown that:

universal motors are usually relatively inefficient- around 30% for smaller motors and up to 70-75% for larger ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_motor#Properties

So forcing people to use smaller motors will reduce efficiency - your new hoover with 50% of the power input might only have 25% of the power output - time to invest in a carpet beater factory.

HOLA4420

Old cleaners were rubbish, but back then a lot of people didnt have very many carpets/rugs - the heavy lifting was done with a carpet beater each spring.

Laughable tosh.

The vast majority of 1970s houses were carpeted wall to wall apart from the bathroom and kitchen. FFS it was the age of the loathsome shag pile and the high streets were full of carpet chain shops.

No one used hand held carpet beaters

The vacuum cleaners may not have been fantastic in terms of suction but they were reliable and normally easy to repair if they did go wrong. I did not notice any outbreaks of plague in the 1970s and I doubt you will find much evidence of higher allergy or asthma rates in the era.

Anyway given that many people now have laminate or hard floors they probably don't need a vacuum cleaner at all. Sweeping and mopping the floor with a damp cloth is enough to clean most such surfaces. But if you want to go on being conned by manufacturers don't let me stop you.

BTW my Mum has used the same type of upright Panasonic vacuum over the past 20 years and what we have noticed is that the wattage of these machines has steadily gone up in that time from 1200 watts to 1600 watts and then 1900 watts but their reliability has steadily deteriorated. Any way the old Hoover Constellation still works which is more than I can say for the Dyson I have had the misfortune to own.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

HOLA4421

The old Hoover Juniors and upright vacuum's were excellent. The carpet beaters and before my time and that is saying something!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Laughable tosh.

The vast majority of 1970s houses were carpeted wall to wall apart from the bathroom and kitchen.

This probably depends on the area, my mother used to sell carpets in the 1970s and a big proportion of the sales were to people in council flats who still had the original lino floors.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425