House Price Crash Forum

I’m 87 and my mortgage means I’ll owe my bank £200k when I sell my home

HOLA441

I’m 87 and my mortgage means I’ll owe my bank £200k when I sell my home

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/property-and-mortgages/mortgage-means-owe-bank-sell-home-2968116

Brian Neville was 'desperate' when he took on a shared appreciation mortgage in the late 1990s. Now he regrets it. Brian Neville took out a mortgage for £20,000 in 1997, on a small bungalow in Poole, Dorset. Now, aged 87, he feels he cannot sell the property, believing if he did, he may owe his bank ten times this amount. Under the terms of Brian’s mortgage, if he sold his home, he would likely owe his lender, Bank of Scotland, around £200,000 – or ten times his initial mortgage size – from the sale. More than a quarter of a century later, he feels “trapped.”

The type of mortgage he took out was a shared appreciation mortgage (SAM), which was a type of equity release mortgage sold in the late 90s. Under this type of loan, the borrower releases equity in their home – in this case £20,000 – and gets a lower interest rate on the repayments. In return though, they owe the bank they borrowed from a share of the increase in their home’s value.

Brian bought the property for around £84,000 in 1997, after financial issues left him having to downsize. But he describes the process of getting the mortgage as “haphazard” and says he felt rushed into taking it by the advisor, who told him this type of mortgage would be removed from sale very soon. “Frankly I was desperate. I had absolutely nothing – no assets except the house – and so I believed this was my only choice,” he told i. He later found out that he would owe his lender, Bank of Scotland, 75 per cent of the profits on the property’s appreciation of value, which he said he had no idea about when he signed, as he thought it was 25 per cent. “I rang Bank of Scotland and was essentially told this is what I’d signed for – but at the time I just really needed the money”, he added.

If he were to sell the property now, he believes he would get around £350,000 from the sale, but under the terms of the mortgage, he would owe £200,000 of that money to his bank.

Edited by fellow

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
29 minutes ago, msi said:

Oh look, a boomer with compo face looking for a bailout.

F*** him.

Such hatred!

Were you sexually abused by an elderly pervert when you were a child? Or are you just an ageist arse?

It's people like you that made the SNP introduce new laws (that I don't agree with) to shut you up! 

HOLA4411
4 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Such hatred!

Were you sexually abused by an elderly pervert when you were a child? Or are you just an ageist arse?

No. I'm an ar*e against self entitled tw*ts that think they are due compo because they can't make their own life decisions.

Strange how you complain against everyone else apart from said boomer demographic...

...are you an self entitled elderly pervert tw*t?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
14 minutes ago, msi said:

No. I'm an ar*e against self entitled tw*ts that think they are due compo because they can't make their own life decisions.

Strange how you complain against everyone else apart from said boomer demographic...

To the best of my knowledge, I have never compartmentalised any generation. Individuals, though, are fair game and you are an ageist arse!

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4414
19 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

Does it really matter what you owe the bank at that age?
I guess it matters for the dependants hoping for a big payout...

Exactly no difference to renting at that age.......millions do, bank, landlord, council or care home......born with nothing, die with nothing, trying to stay as healthy as possible between the two dates.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4415

He clears gross £65,000 (350-85-200). Lower interest rate on his repayments over 27 years. Better than renting for that time.

Did he not manage to pay off the £20, 000 mortgage over that time?.

Is the payment to bank based on when the mortgage is cleared or the house sold, whichever the later?.

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, winkie said:

The moral of the story when someone needs the money they will often sign anything to pay what is necessary to get the money.;)

Very true and it only needs a sharp mortgage salesman with no soul to spot an opportunity.

HOLA4417

This thread has stayed classy!

The guy is 87 - so why does he care? Be grateful you have lived six years longer than men of his generation.

He has also lived in a bungalow in a nice area like Poole - and his home is worth £270k more than he paid for it.

Could be a lot worse - he could have bought a bungalow in Hartlepool in 1997!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
9 minutes ago, Scorchio said:

Reminds me of this to be honest:

N7aVeTZ.jpeg

I wonder how much the Sunday Sport paid for that exclusive.

I was going to make a joke about his post eventually arriving at its intended location from the Royal Mail in a brown envelope!! But then decided against it.

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
14 minutes ago, frederico said:

Brian isn’t very good with money is he

He has made £264k from sitting on his backside on his settee for 25 years in Poole - so much easier than working for it! A nurse would have to work and save lives for a decade after tax to make that.

HOLA4422
14 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

He has made £264k from sitting on his backside on his settee for 25 years in Poole - so much easier than working for it! A nurse would have to work and save lives for a decade after tax to make that.

Or go on long term sick from NHS job and moonlight doing private care work.

HOLA4423

Guessing at his age it's more about having something to pass on to the kids and grandkids who've probably been expecting a share of that £350k when he dies. 

I get that it's disappointing but it is what it is. If he thinks he was mis-sold, take it up with the regulator, otherwise not a lot anyone can do. 

HOLA4424
6 hours ago, msi said:

Why the need to claim he was a boomer?

HOLA4425