House Price Crash Forum

Help to Buy chaos forces first-time buyers to sell up

HOLA441
HOLA442

Some kind of tribal dance praying to the bailout god is in order I think?

Incidentally, that article has a ratio of 162.8 of correctly used words versus the word home"owner". I think I might be highlighting that error a lot more as the bear food comes rolling in.

HOLA443
HOLA444
30 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Some kind of tribal dance praying to the bailout god is in order I think?

Incidentally, that article has a ratio of 162.8 of correctly used words versus the word home"owner". I think I might be highlighting that error a lot more as the bear food comes rolling in.

Don't think so tbh. 

HTB isn't coming back 

HOLA445
HOLA446

A friend who works for a waste disposal firm that pays good, but not great, money told me yesterday that some younger colleagues have downsized as their 2nd step having previously used an FTB 'scheme'.

1. Never heard if this before despite a huge amount of time reading about property over many years.  Don't recall this in 89-92.

2. This is a huge red flag.  A sign of a mangled housing market.

3. What does this do to a young person's mental health?

Edited by hotblack42
Clarify

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
2 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

A friend who works for a waste disposal firm that pays good, but not great, money told me yesterday that some younger colleagues have downsized as their 2nd step having previously used an FTB 'scheme'.

1. Never heard if this before despite a huge amount of time reading about property over many years.  Don't recall this in 89-92.

2. This is a huge red flag.  A sign of a mangled housing market.

3. What does this do to a young person's mental health?

Yeh it really is remarkable how people are downsizing as they enter their 40s and things. 

HOLA4414

Everyone should downsize eventually, it’s a matter of when. I’ve downsized already after realising years ago you don’t need what you aspire to as you’re in your 30’s and 40’s. Time and security becomes more important.

However, if some people are downsizing in their 40’s and others can’t afford to even ‘get on the ladder’ until their late 30’s or even early 40’s, it’s a sorry sorry situation which will end in collapse I suspect.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Help to Buy identified as (what it really was) Help to Sell in black and white text for all to read:

[Kylie-Ann Gatecliffe] said: “Because they’re working alongside the builder their intention was obviously to try and help them sell as many properties as possible. In a lot of these cases it was very much advice given to try and get the sale rather than giving the client a really balanced view of Help to Buy with all the risks involved.”

Help to Buy my arse.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
43 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Help to Buy identified as (what it really was) Help to Sell in black and white text for all to read:

Help to Buy my arse.

I caught up with a ex-colleague a few weeks back, who was stuck with 2 small kids in a 2 bed semi FTB house back in 2013. 

I introduced him to HTB and him and his family got in early before they started ripping people off and used it to make two hops up the ladder to a big 4 bed detached in 2018. 

He thanked me for my advice as at the time their mindset was they could never afford the next step up the ladder. He said they lad took a remortgage  for the 20% equity loan in late 2022 and managed to fix for 5 years at a rate under 3%.   

If you got into HTB early with a plan to buy out the 20% when the 5 years were it did make a huge difference to outcome. 

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, markyh said:

I caught up with a ex-colleague a few weeks back, who was stuck with 2 small kids in a 2 bed semi FTB house back in 2013. 

I introduced him to HTB and him and his family got in early before they started ripping people off and used it to make two hops up the ladder to a big 4 bed detached in 2018. 

He thanked me for my advice as at the time their mindset was they could never afford the next step up the ladder. He said they lad took a remortgage  for the 20% equity loan in late 2022 and managed to fix for 5 years at a rate under 3%.   

If you got into HTB early with a plan to buy out the 20% when the 5 years were it did make a huge difference to outcome. 

Yes.

I too used HTB for the period 2015 to (circa) 2021 so I am fortunate to have got in and back out again before interest rates rose and the crash began.

But a very significant proportuion of the HTB-users (used?) have not been so lucky with their timing! Looks like nearly half of the take up is from 2020 onwards ...

image.thumb.png.6fc3c27c6ce5bc6dfe87819f2ea2cba9.png

HOLA4421
41 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Yes.

I too used HTB for the period 2015 to (circa) 2021 so I am fortunate to have got in and back out again before interest rates rose and the crash began.

But a very significant proportuion of the HTB-users (used?) have not been so lucky with their timing! Looks like nearly half of the take up is from 2020 onwards ...

image.thumb.png.6fc3c27c6ce5bc6dfe87819f2ea2cba9.png

A better graph would be HTB loans as a percent of house sales. A lot of house were being sold in 2021 so of course a lot of HTB loans. 

Either way, the removal of HTB is going to be a long term drag on house prices.

Edited by henry the king

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, henry the king said:

A better graph would be HTB loans as a percent of house sales. A lot of house were being sold in 2021 so of course a lot of HTB loans. 

Either way, the removal of HTB is going to be a long term drag on house prices.

If you bought a flat in most city centres using htb from 2015 onwards will not have been a great investment with many in negative equity or no profit will struggle to move up the ladder as the price of these flats will continue to fall until all the fire safety issues fixed.  

Just one example in tower hamlets block allowing shared ownership and help to buy price likely to have fallen another 5-10% in past 18 mths so expect sale price to be below 590k 

image.png.454a3b266743e0b2e38dceaf213a8afa.png

Edited by coypondboy

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
14 hours ago, markyh said:

Lucky. But then again, watching the market crash around you when you've bought a big detached 4 bed at the top of the market could be fairly soul destroying. And then there's the countdown to the fix expiring and having to re-mortgage at a much higher rate.

I hope for their sake they use the time wisely and pay that mortgage down as much as humanly possible in the next 4 years...

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, nero120 said:

Lucky. But then again, watching the market crash around you when you've bought a big detached 4 bed at the top of the market could be fairly soul destroying. And then there's the countdown to the fix expiring and having to re-mortgage at a much higher rate.

I hope for their sake they use the time wisely and pay that mortgage down as much as humanly possible in the next 4 years...

They bought in 2018, in then S/E. They would have seen at least 20% HPI banked in the property the last 5 years.