House Price Crash Forum

Plans for a 48-storey skyscraper in Birmingham have been approved.

HOLA441
HOLA442

Can house about 12 hours' worth of boat people, maybe a day if they have 2 bedrooms. Single fighting aged men wouldn't want to top and toe in the same bed I'd assume.

HOLA443
2 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Can house about 12 hours' worth of boat people, maybe a day if they have 2 bedrooms. Single fighting aged men wouldn't want to top and toe in the same bed I'd assume.

"Impact on the Heritage"

🤣🤣🤣🤣

(I grew up in Brum)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm also from Brum.

Seems like a bizarre development, 48 floors of flats right in the city centre, I doubt too many middle - upper middle income people would really like to live there.  It's not even on one of Birmingham's beautiful canals 😂 But what do I know.  

HOLA448
2 hours ago, brush2805 said:

Plans for a 48-storey skyscraper in Birmingham have been approved.

Are these kind of developments still happening everywhere?

Although I don't like them and skyscrapers are a symptom of a declining society I like to see news like this.

If only if it just increases supply and therefore lowers prices long term.

It would be great if 2 of these were built in every city across the country.

Wouldn't want to live in one myself, however.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

A few years ago I was driving towards London on the A13 just before Canning Town they were knocking down the old 60's Council tower blocks. There was a group of them bunched together just one is now left which was refurbished and cladded, the cladding has since been removed. 

A bit further down the A13 as you come into Docklands the private developers were building new high rise blocks with people paying big money for them. 

The Council blocks had become a nightmare for the people living in them soon after they were built with one of them Ronan Point having a gas explosion which killed 6 people. I thought to myself how long will it be before these new swanky blocks being built go the same way as the 60's Council blocks?

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, Maghull Mike said:

No Car Parking.....................

Where I am , Luton this is all thats going up .Flats in the town centre with no parking ,clearly aiming for BTL market /London workers. I expect a big bust soon as they have put so many up there is too many and we have nothing in terms of entertainment or hospitality to attract them.The biggest night club in town for example is now flats 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, Nabby81 said:

Where I am , Luton this is all thats going up .Flats in the town centre with no parking ,clearly aiming for BTL market /London workers. I expect a big bust soon as they have put so many up there is too many and we have nothing in terms of entertainment or hospitality to attract them.The biggest night club in town for example is now flats 

I have said for years there are far too many flats but have been wrong up to now. Maybe I will be right soon. 

HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, Insane said:

I have said for years there are far too many flats but have been wrong up to now. Maybe I will be right soon. 

Exactly what I have said !

The Football club as part of is new Ground what to put another 1200 flats in the town centre.With low rates flats that have gone up and sold so far I think it's a new world now.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 hour ago, reddog said:

I don't have a problem with flats.  Many people in mainland Europe live happily in flats.

They just somehow don't go with the British "temperament

Well there are flats and there are flats. 

We tend to build very small units suitable only for adults without children. If you look at New Build Flats today it is almost impossible to find one without the kitchen in the living room. Many of the converted office blocks are tiny with no outside space. I have seen places in Europe where there is enough space for a family not just city centre singles or couples. 

We have never got rid of the leasehold system so this also puts a lot of people off. I have lived in Flats , the thing I found was most management companies were pretty crap we were for ever changing to a new one who was going to run the block much better than the last one , but it never happened. 

Some of the Old Council stuff and Peabody type flats although not very pleasing on the eye were well built and still standing today, but we don't build them like that anymore. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
6 hours ago, Maghull Mike said:

Shrug.  I don't have a reason to live in Central Brum, but this is a very short walk from New St, so you can get to a lot of the rest of the UK very fast, much faster than by car if its another city centre.  Also lots of places slowly, but ludicrously cheaply by coach from Digbeth, again a short walk.

I found leaving the car parked for weeks on end, one of the perks of living in Wanstead near the Central line & could easily have managed without it.  In fact I should have, just inertia really, plus it was only worth about £3k.

HOLA4423
6 hours ago, Maghull Mike said:

464 bicycle spaces though, and an onsite bike repair shop. 

The prospective occupants aren't the sort of people who will be owning cars in the future anyway. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
8 hours ago, Huggy said:

Ah yes Huggz. A clown who would rather send his wife and children on a perilous voyage across land and seas risking trafficking, rape, and death while he sits on his backside at home. How noble of you. 🤡🤡🤡🤡