House Price Crash Forum

Anyone seriously thinking of emigrating?

winkie

HOLA441
Just now, Casual-observer said:

Italian in my office has told me the same thing, no chance of getting an office job unless via nepotism. 

He has very little good to say about Italy in general. 

Italian in my bed says she’d never want to work there again, but would consider it as a retirement venue. Too close to Russia for my liking, although it is lovely up north of Lake Garda in the mountains..

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
6 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Spain definitely the best option in Europe. Cheap, safe,  good weather and nice food. But I know someone working for a big bank here and they have offices in Madrid. Pay is 50% lower. 

Pay and conditions in academia are appaling in most of southern europe spanish post doc got junior prof position in Madrid. She was paid peanuts, huge teaching load and was told flat out that there would be no pay rises for 5 years. Resigned from stress, and she had been offered a job in the uk on double the money but wanted to go home for family reasons.

also if you get an interview in a spanish university the first thing you have to do is pass an advanced spanish test. We never give english test!! Just talk to candidates.

HOLA444
HOLA445
On 13/12/2022 at 19:46, Bob8 said:

The Irish passport is an EU passport.

I am very settled in Denmark, which has rather glided past the UK's choppy waters. Pubs are better in the UK though.

So's the food (better in the UK).  Putting it mildly.

HOLA446
3 hours ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Spain definitely the best option in Europe. Cheap, safe,  good weather and nice food. But I know someone working for a big bank here and they have offices in Madrid. Pay is 50% lower. 

What's your definition of good weather?  We're there just now in our campervan, looking for winter sun the past month.  Weather is good 18-21 most of the places we've been (good)  Summer is hell.  Lots of coastal places are ghost towns.  Criminal to see all the empty houses and flats...Peniscola, Roses, Calp etc etc.  Supposed to stay overnight in Lleida a couple of nights ago.  Parked up and went out for dinner.  Town is full of (non-Spanish) dodgy men prowling about.  So disturbing that we actually drove off at 11pm as didn't feel safe.  Stopped at aire in the middle of nowhere with other campers.

"Nice food" if you like fried animal parts. 

HOLA447
5 hours ago, quine said:

So's the food (better in the UK).  Putting it mildly.

Fifteen years ago, the food was far better in the UK. The Danes have caught up with the 90's in the meantime and I would say the two are far more comparable now. The Danes are better at baking, work place canteens are better in DK (typically in my experiece) and I hear in schools also.

HOLA448
16 hours ago, mpprh said:

Remote parts of Sweden are pretty tough places to live.
I did 7 winters before escaping ! 

I understand from the nature / scenery / wildlife point of view, but what about social life?  No pub.  No cinema.  No theatre… even I felt I was missing out, misanthrope that I am. 

And Imagine if your only restaurant / takeaway within sensible driving distance was a pineapple-mad pizza house. And the pizza bases were cr*p. 

HOLA449
1 hour ago, 14stFlyer said:

I understand from the nature / scenery / wildlife point of view, but what about social life?  No pub.  No cinema.  No theatre… even I felt I was missing out, misanthrope that I am. 

And Imagine if your only restaurant / takeaway within sensible driving distance was a pineapple-mad pizza house. And the pizza bases were cr*p. 

That is the choice for very many living here.....that is why they live there, that is why excellent roads, trains airports, wifi,  mobile roaming coverage and public transport is so important.....'sorry nobody delivers to you'.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4410
On 03/01/2023 at 16:43, Sackboii said:

Alaska.

I get the impression emigrating to the US as a UK citizen requires serious wealth or serious in demand skills ? If you've got an Irish passport I thinks it's easier plus you can go in the green card lottery, not sure what odds on winning are though.  I can see the appeal though, particularly if you've got the dosh to buy somewhere in the sticks and live like a mountain man 🤣

HOLA4411
On 14/12/2022 at 18:08, Big Orange said:

Yeah, the challenges that the UK faces are either only somewhat better if not worse in virtually every other advanced nation.

And super racist countries like Japan and SK will pay dearly for their very weak demographics impacting their manufacturing heavy economies:

No they won't. They are automating the living bejesus out of everything they can, making them far more productive than the UK, which has the lowest level of investment in automation in the OECD.  

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
7 hours ago, petetong said:

I get the impression emigrating to the US as a UK citizen requires serious wealth or serious in demand skills ? If you've got an Irish passport I thinks it's easier plus you can go in the green card lottery, not sure what odds on winning are though.  I can see the appeal though, particularly if you've got the dosh to buy somewhere in the sticks and live like a mountain man 🤣

One thing to bear in mind is that can only enter the green card lottery (the diversity visa programme as it is now called) as an Irish citizen/passport holder if you were born on the island of Ireland (including Northern Ireland) or your parents usual place of residence was in Ireland at that time. Irish citizens born in England, Scotland and Wales to Irish parents who were resident there at the time aren't eligible - nor are UK nationals. The guidance talks about being a 'native' of a country - as opposed to being a citizen.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions-Translations/DV-2024-Instructions.pdf

The scheme was of course originally set up by Congress primarily for the benefit of the Irish - as the numbers emigrating had been falling since the 1965 immigration act removed priority for Europeans. But in the 2021 lottery only 17 Irish people were successful compared to over 5,000 Egyptians, Iranians and (yes) Russians.  Given its supposed to be random the luck of the Irish in the draw doesn't seem to be applying!

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ireland-us-diversity-visa-2023

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4416
36 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

One thing to bear in mind is that can only enter the green card lottery (the diversity visa programme as it is now called) as an Irish citizen/passport holder if you were born on the island of Ireland (including Northern Ireland) or your parents usual place of residence was in Ireland at that time. Irish citizens born in England, Scotland and Wales to Irish parents who were resident there at the time aren't eligible - nor are UK nationals. The guidance talks about being a 'native' of a country - as opposed to being a citizen.

The scheme was of course originally set up by Congress primarily for the benefit of the Irish - as the numbers emigrating had been falling since the 1965 immigration act removed priority for Europeans. But in the 2021 lottery only 17 Irish people were successful compared to over 5,000 Egyptians, Iranians and (yes) Russians.  Given its supposed to be random the luck of the Irish in the draw doesn't seem to be applying!

Well that's scuppered that idea, not that I am wealthy or skilled enough to go either ... 

HOLA4417
On 15/12/2022 at 02:06, 17 Year Veteran said:

Australia still has a lot going for it. 

It very expensive in the capital cities, as we all know. 

Some good points-

Federal budget tends to surprise on the upside

self sufficient food and energy

Big brother USA very chummy

Nice weather etc. 

School and universities are good

Healty system pisses all over the NHS. 

Australian Government reportedly considering raising the age limit of its working holiday visa to 50

HOLA4418
13 hours ago, Sausages said:

Funnily enough someone brought this up out of the blue today during a conversation... how they'd just about had enough (NHS collapse being driving factor). They were heading to Malaga/Majorca... got me thinking too (I would choose a rural part of France, somewhere. 

Population has been increasing in Malaga areas......many international new residents moving in.;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
On 15/12/2022 at 13:06, 17 Year Veteran said:

Australia still has a lot going for it. 

It very expensive in the capital cities, as we all know. 

Some good points-

Federal budget tends to surprise on the upside

self sufficient food and energy

Big brother USA very chummy

Nice weather etc. 

School and universities are good

Healty system pisses all over the NHS. 

I've been in Aus the last 3 weeks, first time here in over 20 years.  It IS expensive - more than I even anticipated.  I traveled and stayed in places between Sydney and Brisbane.  As you say, a more rural town might be a better bet for a lower cost lof living if it's viable.  I like the lifestyle here though, people are friendly, streets clean, things just look well run and organized (Aussie born, but spent most of my time out of Australia, a lot of it in UK because of my dad's job). 

HOLA4421
15 hours ago, Sausages said:

The food is utter shite in the UK. Always has been. 

Most nations are inordinately proud of their food with little basis.

The UK is not particularly culinary, but nor is most of the world. The Dutch sneered at English food as bland with overcooked veg, while I was eating a lunch with them of utterly flavourless food with overcooked veg. Certainly when I first moved to Denmark in 2007, I struggled to find food that was not terrible for dinner. Danish does not have separate words for taste adn flavour and it is a cultural gap rather tha a purely linguistic gap. Terrible impressions of Thai and Italian food were venerated. There were plus points (baked goods and institution canteens were far better), but I missed decent food. Thinks improved dramatically over the next ten years (as things did in the UK in the 90s apparetly).

Where the UK is very bad is bread, and whereas the number of men who can cook from scratch has rised dramatically in the last few generations, the number of women who can has fallen dramatically. The Facebook group for British in Denmark now has rules for a specific enquiry, if a woman says she loves making a roast dinner from scrach, but cannot find the roast potatoes in the super market freezer cabinet nor the gravy granuales on the shelves, the obvious suggestion of learning from scratch has been banned. It is seen as insulting to suggest that she has not been doing it from sratch. The junk food culture is stronger in the UK than most nations.

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, Sausages said:

Why is that? I'd never considered Malage before but the guy I spoke to seemed to see it as a specific destination. 

Malaga is a big province of Andalusia, don't really know why the area has become so popular with both Europeans including Spanish and international people and businesses wanting to live and work there or just want a bolt hole there.......many Scandinavians and Americans, prehaps it is the sunny climate and quality of life, fresh mountain air and sandy beaches......work to live mentality rather than live to work.......the area has its own independent power over Madrid central government, own elections, they provide what the local people want and need and have own budget to do it..... everyone seems much happier and less stressed particularly the children who are of priority, they continued to go to school over CoVid when ours were locked down.....just saying.;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Málaga

Edited by winkie

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
12 hours ago, Will! said:

That is on the canzuk site who are campaigning for freedom of movement between to the UK, Canada, NZ and Oz. So I would be wary of their spin on this. Oddly one might think -  based on their polling - the Brits are least keen on the idea of that and Kiwis the keenest.

Australia has an age limit of 55 to migrate there on a skilled visa anyway.  Why they would want 49 year old unskilled backpackers touring round for a year or two is less clear. Why not make it 70 - the boomers have the cash. And as tourists or while on short term working visas Brits get reciprocal healthcare rights so can use the Australian Medicare system for free while there.