House Price Crash Forum

Covid - is there trouble ahead? New mutation and travel bans.

HOLA441
  • Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
27 minutes ago, henry the king said:

SA needed restrictions in previous waves. They do not need restrictions with Omicron. So it is clearly much less serious.

Basically they are totally fine there. So its not some doomsday scenario.

They needed restrictions during the previous wave because they still had a lot of people without immunity. During this wave practically everyone had Covid before.

HOLA444
HOLA445
4 minutes ago, slawek said:

They needed restrictions during the previous wave because they still had a lot of people without immunity. During this wave practically everyone had Covid before.

Which is the similar here. We are one of the most immune nations on earth as we have coupled high vaccine uptake with high case loads. 

HOLA446
48 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

BREAKING NEWS:

LBC caller claiming to be stepson of the UK's 'first Omicron victim' says he was an unvaccinated conspiracy theorist, in his 70s, who was fit and healthy and never left the house but died on Monday at a hospital in Northampton weeks after falling ill

In his 70s and unvaccinated, good another reason for me to not bother with the booster.

Weeks after falling ill? Omicron has only been in the UK 5mins.

HOLA447
20 minutes ago, henry the king said:

Which is the similar here. We are one of the most immune nations on earth as we have coupled high vaccine uptake with high case loads. 

Didn't Chris Whitty rubbish that assumption just yesterday ?

HOLA448
21 minutes ago, henry the king said:

You can't make any claim about the UK without adjusting for the UK older population first.

It is like claiming:

John doesn't need an umbrella in Dubai => John doesn't need an umbrella in London,

if you know there is a significant less chance to rain in Dubai than London. 

HOLA449
4 minutes ago, pig said:

Didn't Chris Whitty rubbish that assumption just yesterday ?

Exactly, it's the T cell response to Omicron that's the key. 

Both due to high vaccine uptake and letting previous variants rip through via Boris incompetence and Tory bampot inspired individual exceptionalism we are in a relatively good place as Omicron sees a good T cell response.

HOLA4410
4 hours ago, Casual-observer said:

Japan dropped bombs into China laden with bubonic plague, cholera, smallpox, botulism, anthrax in WW2. 

They had troops in China still and yet it didn't stop them. 

They contemplated dropping similar bombs onto US mainland and had it been logistically possible probably would have. 

History has a long line of despotic leaders in charge of nations, don't always count on them following logic to discount what you believe to be plausible or not. 

I think people have a right to know what their own or other Governments are cooking up within bio labs and the shroud of secrecy shouldn't fill anyone with confidence. 

It's the law of inevitably that sooner or later something will get released. 

Japan was economically cut off from America and the areas they were targeting with WMD were miles from their own held territory. The risk of it infecting their forces or causing them harm was extremely limited vs their belief Chinese were sub-human. This has gone down a rabbithole

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

It's not over for the businesses or the employees, or the football balls or the fans, or even renters. Maybe they just didn't get the salesman and the sailor boy memo:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59674616🤡

They just need to ignore Boris and Whitty, and get back to normal. How we allow people over the age of 55 to hold such key jobs is beyond me.

HOLA4413
8 minutes ago, Brave New World said:

Exactly, it's the T cell response to Omicron that's the key. 

Both due to high vaccine uptake and letting previous variants rip through via Boris incompetence and Tory bampot inspired individual exceptionalism we are in a relatively good place as Omicron sees a good T cell response.

No his argument was that SA's delta wave was more serious and more recent,  therefore a milder wave was to be expected.

They therefore do not know how severe our omicron wave is going to be but they know they can't rely on the SA experience.

Edited by pig

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, Casual-observer said:

Indeed, I'm not arguing our own Governments are not full of their own bullsh1t either. 

In saying that Saddam did gas the Kurds. 

With a strategic aim - preventing them breaking away and creating fear of his regime to maintain it. Same as draining the marshes to counter Marsh Arabs after GW1.

The pandemic is undirected, affects their economic interests and has caused rifts in China and many authoritarian regimes - all powerful state cannot protect - thinking or claiming this is planned or developed for the purpose of use is just trying to fit something, anything to a non-natural origin. Let's just step back rather than hammering more dents in a panel

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Not if they’re going to get ill with a novel virus it’s not. Man up. You called this one wrong. Nothing wrong with that. 

0.1% is just collateral damage 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 minute ago, Dogsy said:

Interesting to see what happens in terms of policy when it breaches the psychological  100K barrier. 

Just cases though - take an aspirin 

HOLA4418
5 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

They just need to ignore Boris and Whitty, and get back to normal. How we allow people over the age of 55 to hold such key jobs is beyond me.

It looks to me that BJ is trying to placate the far right support in his party but at the same time is genuinely worried about what the scientists are telling him. Maybe the obsession with 'sides' you see on here comes from these factions within the Conservative party and/or between different flavours of the RW.

As it stands I think people recognise BJ is in a bit of a mess and are listening to the scientists instead.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 minute ago, Dogsy said:

Interesting to see what happens in terms of policy when it breaches the psychological  100K barrier. 

It is going to be too late to do anything to stop it. Confirmed cases lag actual infections by around 6 days, during which the infections could grow 4-5 times.  The only hope is people are limiting their contacts right now, without an official lockdown.  

HOLA4421
4 minutes ago, slawek said:

It is going to be too late to do anything to stop it. Confirmed cases lag actual infections by around 6 days, during which the infections could grow 4-5 times.  The only hope is people are limiting their contacts right now, without an official lockdown.  

Maybe they will run out of kits to test with. I hear there are some issues with supply.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, miguel said:

Don't ask me, what do I know about how severe the pressure for NHS treatment is going to be? Johnson should know, he has access to experts in this field. 

The point is that there's going to be a number of people who aren't going to give a fck about what Johnson announces. People will party. I'm sure there's also a significant amount of people who will bite their lip and comply. There's no doubt that the government have made things much more difficult. 

So what you're saying is that lots of people will ignore Mr Johnson, but you have no idea what Mr Johnson could have done differently such that they would not ignore him?

That there is "no doubt" the government have made things worse, but you don't know what they could have done that would be better?

That doesn't make sense.  Either you know what you think he should have done, in which case I'm interested to hear your views, or you don't know - in which case how do you know what he did was wrong...?! 🤔

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
10 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

So what you're saying is that lots of people will ignore Mr Johnson, but you have no idea what Mr Johnson could have done differently such that they would not ignore him?

That there is "no doubt" the government have made things worse, but you don't know what they could have done that would be better?

That doesn't make sense.  Either you know what you think he should have done, in which case I'm interested to hear your views, or you don't know - in which case how do you know what he did was wrong...?! 🤔

errr. . . how about not letting parties happen in your own house? Jeez, did you miss it?