House Price Crash Forum

Dog Price Bubble

HOLA441

I've seen some stuff in my time but this takes the dog biscuit

"Puppy prices skyrocket as demand for lockdown dog companions soars - here's what the experts say"

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/puppy-prices-skyrocket-demand-lockdown-18491872.amp

Prices have basically doubled !!!!

The greed and stupid of people know no bhounds. Prices have gone through the woof. Are people barking? A dog is for life not just lockdown

Will Comrade Sunak introduce a help to bark scheme so people can afford to pay the silly asking prices now demanded by dog breeders for puppies or will he let dog prices fall?

If you are now in negative puppy equity demand a tax payer bailout

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
15 minutes ago, msi said:

We need Help out to Walk Out.....Biscuits to Let...Help to Bark....

Seriously...I hate to think of the situation in shelters in 12 months time.  The sight of dogs caged up is haunting.

You can see it coming.

This is literally how stupid and financially illiterate British people are.  In the midst of a possible depression they fork out on over priced dogs. Couldn't make it up.

This was brought to my attention twice now and had a dig about last night, it's proper crazy.

The 2 new dog owners I know are:

1) someone I know who has had a 20% pay cut bought a £2K dog.

2) A BTLer I know bought a 2K dog.  I thought it was funny.  Same bloke who was saying BTL was dead and he was going to get out the market.  He said to me and I quote "I'll get myself 2 dogs and start breading them".

Labrapoodles are the new HMOs

HOLA445
9 minutes ago, winkie said:

Why do people pay big prices for a dog, a dog is not a fashion accessory......plenty of nice natured dogs looking for a loving home...;)

No idea.  Dont get it.  My wife told me about people pay £2K for a dog and I thought, you have go to be kidding me.

Sounds like a total scam, hopefully the police will collar someone for this

HOLA446

We’ve been looking for a dog, right time with kids ages and work situation but prices are nuts. Would consider a rescue but hard to find any that will allow you to re-home with a pre-schooler so have decided to wait until all these £2k puppies go back on the market in 12 months time.

HOLA447
HOLA448
16 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

What are per household dog ownership rates now compared to two decades ago? Seems like every f***er has a bloody poodle cross, who they then treat like they are a toddler. “Oh my baby”

Good point......perhaps cats and dogs are for a growing number of people their children....those that both do not have children for whatever reason, and those whose children have left the nest.......having said that, if a child always a good experience growing up with or around animals, that don't have to be a special breed or cost a certain amount of money.;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

8 hours ago, dugsbody said:

This is actually a sad topic. Dog breeders make money from keeping animals in poor conditions and selling the offspring. If you want a dog, there are plenty without a home at your local cats and dogs home.

Whilst cats and dogs have become so domesticated over the last 1000 years(?) and might be a little lost without human companionship now (well, i'm sure they'd adjust eventually if we were wiped out by a bat virus, say), I do think the concept of keeping "any" pet is absolutely abhorrent. Think about rabbits/gerbils kept in their hutches most of the day, they are basically a prison cell. They were desgined to run around large spaces, and in groups. Same for birds kept in cages, fish kept in tiny tanks, just a tiny (watery) prison cell, etc.

As @dugsbody say,  dog (and cat) farming is incredibly cruel and immoral, and it's purely for profit, no other reason.

Zoo's are no better, the animals they "house" were not designed to kept locked up, this is why you see panda's/gorrillas etc hitting themselves for example, being locked up has essentially made them lose their mind, meanwhile visitors think this is funny. We humans have a lot to answer for.

However, @TheCountOfNowhere your post has got me even more livid!!

9 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

2) A BTLer I know bought a 2K dog.  I thought it was funny.  Same bloke who was saying BTL was dead and he was going to get out the market.  He said to me and I quote "I'll get myself 2 dogs and start breading them".

Absolute effin scum...if it's not people farming with BTL, now it's dog farming!!! All these vermin see is profit with no ability to see the cost/suffering!! Are all BTL scum complete and utter psychopaths!?

I did not think i could hate the BTL brigade any more than i already did!

9 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Whilst i appreciate the witiness of this comment, sadly it's scarily true, i wish it was funny :/ Isn't it scary that anything & everything is seen as a way to make money by some people?

Edited by highcontrast

HOLA4412
7 hours ago, dugsbody said:

This is actually a sad topic. Dog breeders make money from keeping animals in poor conditions and selling the offspring. If you want a dog, there are plenty without a home at your local cats and dogs home.

Unfortunately they are incredibly picky about who they let adopt an animal. For dogs, generally you have to have no kids at home, somebody at home all day and, most importantly, already have dog owning experience. Their reasoning is that they cannot be sure of a dog's prior trauma (it may be fine with adults but snap at children), and it is unfair to the dog to have it adopted but returned because an inexperienced owner couldn't cope. They can be a bit more flexible on cats. This just pushes people into the hands of the breeders who will sell to anybody (despite what they claim).

I seem to remember not to long ago if you wanted a cat you simply asked around your social circle - there was always a friend of a friend whose cat had kittens, and who would pretty much give them away!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

A worrying trend is that because there are so few suitable dogs in need of being rehomed in the UK, big current sources are Bulgaria and Romania. Two recent cases I know of are a couple who brought back a Bulgarian sheepdog puppy, which has now grown to immense size, and although is reasonably good natured, is a handful for the wife who is not used to dogs. It insists on sleeping in the garden in any weather.

The other case was a dog adopted through a dog charity from Romania. The couple took it to live with them in Spain, where it became increasingly hostile to freinds and visitors, ended up attacking the owner and had to be put down.

My daughter was on the point of adopting a dog from a Romainan charity, but we have persuaded her that it was not a good idea.

HOLA4415
23 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

Whilst cats and dogs have become so domesticated over the last 1000 years(?) and might be a little lost without human companionship now (well, i'm sure they'd adjust eventually if we were wiped out by a bat virus, say), I do think the concept of keeping "any" pet is absolutely abhorrent. Think about rabbits/gerbils kept in their hutches most of the day, they are basically a prison cell. They were desgined to run around large spaces, and in groups. Same for birds kept in cages, fish kept in tiny tanks, just a tiny (watery) prison cell, etc.

As @dugsbody say,  dog (and cat) farming is incredibly cruel and immoral, and it's purely for profit, no other reason.

Zoo's are no better, the animals they "house" were not designed to kept locked up, this is why you see panda's/gorrillas etc hitting themselves for example, being locked up has essentially made them lose their mind, meanwhile visitors think this is funny. We humans have a lot to answer for.

However, @TheCountOfNowhere your post has got me even more livid!!

Absolute effin scum...if it's not people farming with BTL, now it's dog farming!!! All these vermin see is profit with no ability to see the cost/suffering!! Are all BTL scum complete and utter psychopaths!?

I did not think i could hate the BTL brigade any more than i already did!

Whilst i appreciate the witiness of this comment, sadly it's scarily true, i wish it was funny 😕 Isn't it scary that anything & everything is seen as a way to make money by some people?

Hey Highcontrast, glad to see you get my point. 

I couldn't agree more with your post. 

Been to a couple of zoos as an adult and they disgusted me. 

Bristol zoo, god awful place. 

San Diego, supposed to be one of the world's finest... God awful place. 

Been to a safari park, they're a bit better but you see chimps and tigers caged, large cages but still cages. 

I went on safari once, one of the greatest experiences in my life. You see real animals fighting to survive, living real honest lives. A wonder to behold and i could myself lucky to have gone. 

Zoos might have been justified 100+ years ago but with the advent of tv, mass yravel and now the internet there is simply no excuse for them. 

We as humans seem to be getting so many things wrong, i wonder how it will all end, hell, i know who it will end, badly. 

HOLA4416
1 minute ago, onlooker said:

A worrying trend is that because there are so few suitable dogs in need of being rehomed in the UK, big current sources are Bulgaria and Romania. Two recent cases I know of are a couple who brought back a Bulgarian sheepdog puppy, which has now grown to immense size, and although is reasonably good natured, is a handful for the wife who is not used to dogs. It insists on sleeping in the garden in any weather.

The other case was a dog adopted through a dog charity from Romania. The couple took it to live with them in Spain, where it became increasingly hostile to freinds and visitors, ended up attacking the owner and had to be put down.

My daughter was on the point of adopting a dog from a Romainan charity, but we have persuaded her that it was not a good idea.

Bloody immigrants  :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Bloody immigrants  :lol:

You may find it amusing, but just like the people arriving on rubber dinghies, what goes on inside their heads is a mystery and a potential danger. Being Spain, my friends just had the dangerous dog destroyed. In the UK, they would probably have taken it to an unsuspecting animal rehoming charity, and some other family may have suffered a tragedy.

HOLA4419
23 minutes ago, onlooker said:

You may find it amusing, but just like the people arriving on rubber dinghies, what goes on inside their heads is a mystery and a potential danger. Being Spain, my friends just had the dangerous dog destroyed. In the UK, they would probably have taken it to an unsuspecting animal rehoming charity, and some other family may have suffered a tragedy.

Hence the impossibility of shelters allowing families with young children to adopt a dog. They have no real clue as to whether the donated dog has had a traumatic past, or is okay with adults but hates children.

One of the reasons I never want to have a pet dog. I am scared that it would suddenly flip and hurt somebody. Even the best trained dog can have some horrible instincts that are unseen until it is too late.

HOLA4420
25 minutes ago, onlooker said:

No, that's not funny at all. 

Do you know the expression, tongue in cheek? 

HOLA4421

Licence landlords, licence dogs. Annual renewal. 

The number of new puppies on the streets and at my local park is insane. 2k round here is cheap for one, prices are up to 5-6k for some breeds.

They get photographed a billion times for instagram, then handed to a rescue home once the vet bills for dodgy hips, eyeballs falling out, sleep apnea, breathing problems etc start coming.

Our society thinks everything is a commodity, no respect for living beings. 

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Licence landlords, licence dogs. Annual renewal. 

The number of new puppies on the streets and at my local park is insane. 2k round here is cheap for one, prices are up to 5-6k for some breeds.

They get photographed a billion times for instagram, then handed to a rescue home once the vet bills for dodgy hips, eyeballs falling out, sleep apnea, breathing problems etc start coming.

Our society thinks everything is a commodity, no respect for living beings. 

Disgraceful isnt it. 

Aren't human beings despicable. 

HOLA4423

Yes I've seen this- 3 grand for a sausage puppy! It's encouraging people who have no clue to start breeding for the gainz. Plenty of dogs out there in rescues that need homes that aren't coming from generations of inbreeding or with mega expensive health conditions. 

On top of the cost of the pup your then looking at insurance, food, dog walkers, toys, walking it and generally caring for it- it's a real commitment. 

£160 for my rescue nutter, best 160 i ever spent

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What really surprises me is that the tax authorities do not investigate this part of the economy more.

At current prices, a unscrupulous breeder (which are in the majority) could make £10k+ profit per litter.  Bet none of that gets declared.

Indeed, nice little earner for those on benefits....

Shameful that dogs are now treated like commodities.  As others have said, there is going to be a catastrophe next year in animal rescue as all these "fashion accessories" get dumped out of necessity and/or for the latest fad.