House Price Crash Forum

15 hours ago, onlooker said:

A worrying trend is that because there are so few suitable dogs in need of being rehomed in the UK, big current sources are Bulgaria and Romania. Two recent cases I know of are a couple who brought back a Bulgarian sheepdog puppy, which has now grown to immense size, and although is reasonably good natured, is a handful for the wife who is not used to dogs. It insists on sleeping in the garden in any weather.

The other case was a dog adopted through a dog charity from Romania. The couple took it to live with them in Spain, where it became increasingly hostile to freinds and visitors, ended up attacking the owner and had to be put down.

My daughter was on the point of adopting a dog from a Romainan charity, but we have persuaded her that it was not a good idea.

My old man is a vet and he has been talking about this for some time.

He says that they aren't rescue, just 'cheap' dogs that come from very dodgy sources which may or may not be Romania (often they are from Welsh puppy farms)

He was really annoyed because one of the vet nurses he works with got one of these. It came from a dodgy flat in Basingtoke but allegedly had a sad back story that it was rescued from Romania.

The problem is most pet owners just think of their own needs first or what they would like if they were a dog (good luck with that!)

It's the same with choice of breed. Selfishness often trumps empathy for the animal itself.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ST675R said:

It's the same with choice of breed. Selfishness often trumps empathy for the animal itself.

Dachshunds in constant back pain, pugs that can’t breathe, deaf Dalmatians, Alsatians with hip dysplasia, the list goes on. 

But we’re a nation of animal lovers, apparently. 🙄

7 minutes ago, winkie said:

A mongrel is best, mixed breed......healthier than the inbred with genetic problems, where health insurance is a must......high maintenance dogs.;)

Agreed re health. I don’t actually have a problem with breeding for disposition or special behaviours, but the KC has forced animals to become ever more extreme in their physical attributes. 

Look at bulldogs. https://scienceline.org/2017/09/de-evolution-bulldog/

2 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Agreed re health. I don’t actually have a problem with breeding for disposition or special behaviours, but the KC has forced animals to become ever more extreme in their physical attributes. 

Yes, but would rather not look......as I said an animal should never be a fashion statement, there are great all kinds of dogs, what you want is an intelligent dog with a kindly temperament, a loyal friend that gets on with other people and other dogs, easy to train and obedient......not one with mental health or physical health issues.

Working dogs are slightly different but the same qualities apply....most who require a dog do not use it for work........buying a dog is a big commitment, they need walking twice a day all weathers, they have to be cared for if away if can't bring dog with you, they are expensive and they have a life span iro ten to fifteen years.....not nice to lose a loving pet......time and a place for owning a dog, they are not a toy to be used and discarded.;)

I feel so sorry the fashion dogs, bred to be tiny and to fit in a handbag, cab barely breathe and don't even think about trying to go on a long walk. I have a lurcher and he's brilliant, massively intelligent, really affectionate and real "dog" that can run and play chew and enjoy his life. 

Pets can give people a real sense of responsibility, companionship and a forced reason to exercise, unfortunately so many are bought just for his they look with no effort to learn how they tick and what they really need. I heard some calls for licensing a few years ago but I don't know where that went? . . . 

4 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

I feel so sorry the fashion dogs, bred to be tiny and to fit in a handbag, cab barely breathe and don't even think about trying to go on a long walk. I have a lurcher and he's brilliant, massively intelligent, really affectionate and real "dog" that can run and play chew and enjoy his life. 

Pets can give people a real sense of responsibility, companionship and a forced reason to exercise, unfortunately so many are bought just for his they look with no effort to learn how they tick and what they really need. I heard some calls for licensing a few years ago but I don't know where that went? . . . 

You have to be careful with pure bread lines, brothers mating with sisters etc.

Always ends up with physical and mental problems, look at this breed

How the British royal family has turned a blind eye to its racist past -  Insider

On 9/10/2020 at 10:39 AM, Odysseus said:

We’ve been looking for a dog, right time with kids ages and work situation but prices are nuts. Would consider a rescue but hard to find any that will allow you to re-home with a pre-schooler so have decided to wait until all these £2k puppies go back on the market in 12 months time.

This is exactly us as well.

26 minutes ago, kirstieb said:

Look how easy it could be if anyone in govt was bothered enough. No, no, they’d rather try and bring back fox hunting.

https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/goodliving/posts/2018/05/dog-registration-laws

On 9/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, dugsbody said:

This is actually a sad topic. Dog breeders make money from keeping animals in poor conditions and selling the offspring. If you want a dog, there are plenty without a home at your local cats and dogs home.

Not the case - can’t find any that would be suited to us and I really wanted to re home one. Its not me being picky it’s the test these adoption centres do, many of the older dogs are labelled not suitable for small children and puppy are as per the post - in demand.

I will keep looking because I suspect we will be seeing a large PPC crash soon with all these new owners giving up in a few months.

6 hours ago, ST675R said:

My old man is a vet and he has been talking about this for some time.

He says that they aren't rescue, just 'cheap' dogs that come from very dodgy sources which may or may not be Romania (often they are from Welsh puppy farms)

He was really annoyed because one of the vet nurses he works with got one of these. It came from a dodgy flat in Basingtoke but allegedly had a sad back story that it was rescued from Romania.

The problem is most pet owners just think of their own needs first or what they would like if they were a dog (good luck with that!)

People often treat their own children the same as this too

4 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

The kennel club are a disgrace in my view.

They refuse to extend their approved breeder program into mixed breeds - labradoddles, cockapoos etc etc. despite them being such popular types of dogs. As such potential buyers have even less options to verify good breeders even if they want to do the best thing. 

Then add in all those horrors such as the Alsatian with terrible health problems getting best in breed at crufts. 

Tip of the iceberg with the inbreeding they encourage. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/03/crufts-clamps-deformed-dogs-outcry-last-years-best-breed/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/09/2020 at 09:27, Ignorantbliss said:

What really surprises me is that the tax authorities do not investigate this part of the economy more.

At current prices, a unscrupulous breeder (which are in the majority) could make £10k+ profit per litter.  Bet none of that gets declared.

Indeed, nice little earner for those on benefits....

Shameful that dogs are now treated like commodities.  As others have said, there is going to be a catastrophe next year in animal rescue as all these "fashion accessories" get dumped out of necessity and/or for the latest fad. 

Roll on 8 months and the dog mania shows no sign of abating (here in NE Scotland at least).

Prices have dropped ever so slightly, but you are still looking at £2000+ for the favoured mongrel breeds like Cockapoo.  Just where on earth is all this demand still coming from?!

Main reason for bumping the subject is that the money side of all this is extraordinary.  Friend of ours told us this morning how they were doing a repair job when the house owner got talking about their Staffie and what a money earner she was. 

Turns out its had 2 litters (Apr 2020, Dec 2020) and they are planning another next month.  They apparently sold the first litter for £2900 each (six in the litter) and £2400 each for the second litter (five in that one) - all sold within days of posting.  Plan to sell for around £2000 each for the next litter.  When you consider that the cost of rearing the pup to 8 weeks is a fraction of that, the profit is stunning and in this case must beat the average annual wage in Scotland (once you take into account the slim likelyhood of the income being declared and taxed accordingly).

Another sad sign of the buying mania out there, just hope when it all comes crashing down it's not too catastrophic.

3 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Roll on 8 months and the dog mania shows no sign of abating (here in NE Scotland at least).

Prices have dropped ever so slightly, but you are still looking at £2000+ for the favoured mongrel breeds like Cockapoo.  Just where on earth is all this demand still coming from?!

Main reason for bumping the subject is that the money side of all this is extraordinary.  Friend of ours told us this morning how they were doing a repair job when the house owner got talking about their Staffie and what a money earner she was. 

Turns out its had 2 litters (Apr 2020, Dec 2020) and they are planning another next month.  They apparently sold the first litter for £2900 each (six in the litter) and £2400 each for the second litter (five in that one) - all sold within days of posting.  Plan to sell for around £2000 each for the next litter.  When you consider that the cost of rearing the pup to 8 weeks is a fraction of that, the profit is stunning and in this case must beat the average annual wage in Scotland (once you take into account the slim likelyhood of the income being declared and taxed accordingly).

Another sad sign of the buying mania out there, just hope when it all comes crashing down it's not too catastrophic.

Poor wee doggo. 

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch
1 hour ago, btl_hater said:

I don't understand how anyone who works full time has the time to look after a dog?

They pay the local professional dog walker to pop in every day and take the animal for an hours exercise. It only costs £20 per hour per dog, bargain really.

On 10/09/2020 at 09:18, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I've seen some stuff in my time but this takes the dog biscuit

"Puppy prices skyrocket as demand for lockdown dog companions soars - here's what the experts say"

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/puppy-prices-skyrocket-demand-lockdown-18491872.amp

Prices have basically doubled !!!!

The greed and stupid of people know no bhounds. Prices have gone through the woof. Are people barking? A dog is for life not just lockdown

Will Comrade Sunak introduce a help to bark scheme so people can afford to pay the silly asking prices now demanded by dog breeders for puppies or will he let dog prices fall?

If you are now in negative puppy equity demand a tax payer bailout

Let them eat tulips

10 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Hi Ignorantbliss,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I was literally about to !!! I think it's a good measure of what is going on with lockdown and peoples finances.

I had a look last night after you posted and yes some of the prices are still crazy but there are some big cracks appearing.

I know 3 couples who have bought a dog in lockdown after never having mentioned a dog ever before,  a ****-a-s*it, or something like that, a collie and a black lab.

When I last looked Black labs there was nothing under 2K and £2500 for the s**t dogs, collies seem less popular were coming in at last £1500.

When I looked I was quite surprised that some sellers are now selling for 50% of these lockdown bubble figures.

Here's some links:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3245189-labrador-little-girl-walsall.html

£1200 for a black lab, the pre-lock down price was £500-£800 so still v high.

I swear there was one listed for £800 last night though I'd had a bottle of wine when I was looking :lol: 

Border collies were around £1500...now yours for £500.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3227019-beautiful-collie-x-pup-colwyn-bay.html

The s**t dogs ( high maintenance wife dogs as I see them) are even falling in price, down to £950, I know someone who paid £2000 for one of these and the prices went up from there. 

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3290385-shihpoo-puppies-stowmarket.html

Looking at some of the adds I personally think some of the sellers are trying to get rid now, so probably much less demand.

Here's another one that you were looking at £2500 for, a labrodoodle

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3193029-labradoodle-puppys-dartford.html

£1000 now !!!

But a sheep-o-doodle...£3000.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3226165-sheepadoodle-puppies-great-yarmouth.html

It's disgusting profiting from the cost of shelter but it's worse doing it with the price of dogs.  A lot of the lock down animals will end up unwanted.  I personally would love of dog but my life style would make it silly to buy one, so I dont. 

The prices even with some of the drops are ridiculous, I really dont understand people.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, winkie said:

Have you seen the price of lamb this year?;)

Cheaper to eat dog now that prices look to be Korean downwards

( see what I did there :lol: )

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere