House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Found a £1000 black lab

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3267816-all-sold-labrador-x-labrador-pointer-aberlour.html

All sold today now though.

So people still buying but at MUCH lower prices than last year.

I thought £500 was pricey 🙂 

Crazy times, there were 12 in that litter of mongrels so a good 10k profit at least!

In contrast our neighbour got their collie cross free of charge two years ago as the breeder wasn't able to sell them. 

I suspect the local rehoming centres are dreading what is going to happen come the autumn.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Crazy times, there were 12 in that litter of mongrels so a good 10k profit at least!

In contrast our neighbour got their collie cross free of charge two years ago as the breeder wasn't able to sell them. 

I suspect the local rehoming centres are dreading what is going to happen come the autumn.

Looking at the prices on a few sites people are still trying to sell for £2000 but who's buying when there seems to be plenty about at lower prices.

Dogs/Houses it's all connected.

People paying for over priced roofs and over priced woofs 

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere
17 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Roll on 8 months and the dog mania shows no sign of abating (here in NE Scotland at least).

Prices have dropped ever so slightly, but you are still looking at £2000+ for the favoured mongrel breeds like Cockapoo.  Just where on earth is all this demand still coming from?!

Main reason for bumping the subject is that the money side of all this is extraordinary.  Friend of ours told us this morning how they were doing a repair job when the house owner got talking about their Staffie and what a money earner she was. 

Turns out its had 2 litters (Apr 2020, Dec 2020) and they are planning another next month.  They apparently sold the first litter for £2900 each (six in the litter) and £2400 each for the second litter (five in that one) - all sold within days of posting.  Plan to sell for around £2000 each for the next litter.  When you consider that the cost of rearing the pup to 8 weeks is a fraction of that, the profit is stunning and in this case must beat the average annual wage in Scotland (once you take into account the slim likelyhood of the income being declared and taxed accordingly).

Another sad sign of the buying mania out there, just hope when it all comes crashing down it's not too catastrophic.

All tax free too I’m sure

18 hours ago, Ignorantbliss said:

Turns out its had 2 litters (Apr 2020, Dec 2020) and they are planning another next month.  They apparently sold the first litter for £2900 each (six in the litter) and £2400 each for the second litter (five in that one) - all sold within days of posting.  Plan to sell for around £2000 each for the next litter.  When you consider that the cost of rearing the pup to 8 weeks is a fraction of that, the profit is stunning and in this case must beat the average annual wage in Scotland (once you take into account the slim likelyhood of the income being declared and taxed accordingly).

Another sad sign of the buying mania out there, just hope when it all comes crashing down it's not too catastrophic.

My childhood dog was a Staffordshire so this boils my blood. No breeding licence, I expect. A filthy business and anyone handing over money to scummers like this should hang their heads. But no, they'll just dump the dog when the vet bills get too high. 

10 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

When I last looked Black labs there was nothing under 2K and £2500 for the s**t dogs, collies seem less popular were coming in at last £1500

Well I'd imagine a collie is a handful to look after - bred for running up and down steep hills rounding up sheep, that's going to need a hell of a lot of exercice. Although sadly that assumes people think about such things.

On 13/05/2021 at 20:36, Riedquat said:

Well I'd imagine a collie is a handful to look after - bred for running up and down steep hills rounding up sheep, that's going to need a hell of a lot of exercice. Although sadly that assumes people think about such things.

plus very intelligent, so need plenty stimulation

I'm starting to see people on ArseBook looking to get rid of their lockdown dogs. The novelty has worn off, and now that people are starting to go back to work they are realizing the full time needs of the dog. Especially since the dogs are now boisterous teenagers who haven't been trained properly.

Naturally, they are very unlikely to get anywhere near the prices paid for a lockdown puppy.

5 hours ago, A17 said:

I'm starting to see people on ArseBook looking to get rid of their lockdown dogs. The novelty has worn off, and now that people are starting to go back to work they are realizing the full time needs of the dog. Especially since the dogs are now boisterous teenagers who haven't been trained properly.

Naturally, they are very unlikely to get anywhere near the prices paid for a lockdown puppy.

Someone I know got bitten badly (leg) riding his bike this week. Untrained dog, off leash. 

250,000 reported dog bites a year, and that’s before we had a collective derangement buying puppies. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, A17 said:

I'm starting to see people on ArseBook looking to get rid of their lockdown dogs.

Isn't that a disgrace, how thick can people get !!!

Any, some black labs listed for £1000 this week, though the cheapest one is now £75 if you dont mind driving to Inverness, not sure if that's real of not but seems to be.

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3309559-labrador-puppies-inverness.html

Advert says "

Messaged me for further questions on the full price, deposit to secure your pup

"
So that'll be misleading advertising then

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

You can get a 1 year old lab for £700

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifieds/3310634-labrador-retriever-for-sale-please-read-the-adver-ilford.html

As people are pointing out, there will be no end of people trying to get rid of their badly thought out purchase.

The same will happen with their house purchase in dartmoor.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Isn't that a disgrace, how thick can people get !!!

Any, some black labs listed for £1000 this week, though the cheapest one is now £75 if you dont mind driving to Inverness, not sure if that's real of not but seems to be.

Factoid: Labs have a gene variant that makes them more susceptible to lardiness. https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/genetic-variant-may-help-explain-why-labradors-are-prone-to-obesity