House Price Crash Forum

So many people I know are taking early retirement

HOLA441
1 hour ago, hotblack42 said:

I don't - whipped £20K out of Icesave literally the day before they went pop thanks to the good folk on here.  Also learned a LOT on here about property, investments, pensions, philosophy, behavioural psychology.. etc. etc. 

LOL Icelandic stolen funds were replenished by the UK government anyway.  i actually had opened the account at 7% (remember those rates) but did not bother to put any in. lloyds offered 6.75%

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
3 hours ago, Kosmin said:

I think so. Most foreigners tell me they can't believe the level of trust here. A Greek friend walked passed a car with the engine left running whilst the owner was in the house and said "you wouldn't do that in Greece. It would be stolen." A Kenyan friend was surprised at how we vote here without showing ID. Maybe we're not as good as some countries and maybe there is an urban/rural difference as well.

I agree two  incidents stick out for me - had an old Bentley Arnage and was visiting the Tate Gallery. Came out and a well dressed Belgian older gentlemen turns out a car nut - said you could never do that in Belgium someone would vandalise it or steal it - Hardly 3rd world country.

On a visit to Florida we found an Americans wallet - somehow got hold of him through business card or such like and met him in a bar on the edge (universal so Margaretville if your asking!) He stated as if it was a known fact - I knew you were Brits an American would of just taken it - surprised me - very generous with buying us a few drinks to prove the point

HOLA443
Just now, longgone said:

LOL Icelandic stolen funds were replenished by the UK government anyway.  i actually had opened the account at 7% (remember those rates) but did not bother to put any in. lloyds offered 6.75%

Yeah and funny how the selfish Icelanders voted not to give the money back to the UK  even though the stolen money from their banks ultimately went into the Icelandic economy  where healthcare standard of living is one of the highest in the World, and we have foodbanks. Just  like the cods wars the selfish lot threatened to leave NATO. Horrible people

HOLA444
2 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

I agree two  incidents stick out for me - had an old Bentley Arnage and was visiting the Tate Gallery. Came out and a well dressed Belgian older gentlemen turns out a car nut - said you could never do that in Belgium someone would vandalise it or steal it - Hardly 3rd world country.

On a visit to Florida we found an Americans wallet - somehow got hold of him through business card or such like and met him in a bar on the edge (universal so Margaretville if your asking!) He stated as if it was a known fact - I knew you were Brits an American would of just taken it - surprised me - very generous with buying us a few drinks to prove the point

How many mc donalds coupons did it have inside ? 

HOLA445
3 minutes ago, Gribble said:

Yeah and funny how the selfish Icelanders voted not to give the money back to the UK  even though the stolen money from their banks ultimately went into the Icelandic economy  where healthcare standard of living is one of the highest in the World, and we have foodbanks. Just  like the cods wars the selfish lot threatened to leave NATO. Horrible people

Good i say. The uk should have done the same.  The repercussions of theft would be really felt then and show up the banking industry for what it is. NO bail out`s anywhere that is real capitalism. 

HOLA446
29 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

I think a lot of people in Britain do indeed under-rate just how good it is - despite the faults.

Often I see the UK compared unfavourably to "cherry-picked" examples from the rest of world - eg look how great the healthcare is in Cuba compared to here!  look how tidy the streets are in Singapore compared to here!  look how timely the trains are in Switzerland compared to here!  look how great the weather is in Australia compared to here!  But the truth is when you take the BALANCE of everything added up, Britain is really quite a good place (as long as you're living in the 98% of it that isn't in the middle of an inner city).

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

Agree. And this is precisely why immigration needs to be cut by 90%+. Britain won't be British if the current wave of people continues. And certainly not if a proportion of the 30 million Africans planning to migrate make their way here.

You could argue that it is already too late for many European nations (Belgium, France etc).

Edited by Errol

HOLA449

I wouldn't want to live like a king in a poor country, surely its unsustainable.  

I think this is one of the best countries because everything is so balanced even the climate, not too hot not too cold so no requirement for air-conditioning.  I'd go on holiday to other places and cherry pick the good things about them but couldn't imagine living anywhere else.  As long as we don't let migration get out of control as the eu declines while Asia and Africa grow stronger, I think we'll be okay.

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, prozac said:

How do you intend to fund your day to day living costs?

Cash Savings. Probably enough to last 15/20 years if I live modestly....with plenty of budget holidays though  

Pension, which is a protected rights fund and accesible from 50 years old. Only really needed before 65 if I go mad and spend my savings. 

Selling my remaining property as the cone empty (acquired before I moved over from the dark side). 

Bear in mind I bought my first home in 1986 at 18 (whilst most of my friends went to University) and the market rocketed. I sold it and moved to a rental as the market collapsed. I then bought our forever home at 21/22 and still there now. It was debt free before I was 30.  Many of the chaps who went to Uni felt ‘too young’ to buy during the 90’s crash...whilst I was bring up a family on a tiny clerical income....but was starting to climb the corporate ladder  

I was very lucky to make the decisions I did...and it set me up for life....which is why I am such an advocate of working hard, being frugal and desire a proper HPC to help give hope to a younger generation. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 12/02/2019 at 02:50, dugsbody said:

The 99% vote. 

And the 1% select the candidates they're allowed to vote for.

Besides which, you can vote for free unicorns that fart rainbows, but it ain't gonna happen. Voting doesn't change economic reality.

HOLA4413
44 minutes ago, morty said:

I think this is one of the best countries because everything is so balanced even the climate, not too hot not too cold so no requirement for air-conditioning.

If Britain was still British, it would be one of the best places in the world to live. But by selling out to the international 'elite', it's become one of the most expensive and depressing.

I not only earn more and pay less tax over here, but things generally work better than they did in the UK. And most things are much cheaper, except houses in Vancouver and cheese (we literally have cheese gangs smuggling cheap cheese across the border from the US).

HOLA4414
36 minutes ago, Pop321 said:

Cash Savings. Probably enough to last 15/20 years if I live modestly....with plenty of budget holidays though  

Pension, which is a protected rights fund and accesible from 50 years old. Only really needed before 65 if I go mad and spend my savings. 

Selling my remaining property as the cone empty (acquired before I moved over from the dark side). 

Bear in mind I bought my first home in 1986 at 18 (whilst most of my friends went to University) and the market rocketed. I sold it and moved to a rental as the market collapsed. I then bought our forever home at 21/22 and still there now. It was debt free before I was 30.  Many of the chaps who went to Uni felt ‘too young’ to buy during the 90’s crash...whilst I was bring up a family on a tiny clerical income....but was starting to climb the corporate ladder  

I was very lucky to make the decisions I did...and it set me up for life....which is why I am such an advocate of working hard, being frugal and desire a proper HPC to help give hope to a younger generation. 

You are intelligent and have worked hard, good for you

HOLA4415
1 minute ago, MarkG said:

If Britain was still British, it would be one of the best places in the world to live. But by selling out to the international 'elite', it's become one of the most expensive and depressing.

I not only earn more and pay less tax over here, but things generally work better than they did in the UK. And most things are much cheaper, except houses in Vancouver and cheese (we literally have cheese gangs smuggling cheap cheese across the border from the US).

You are so negative, words fail me.

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Gribble said:

The reason I thought Alistair Darling was good - in the short term we paid but in the medium term it was gunboat diplomacy we even invoked  anti terrorism laws to get the money back - 

'The final instalment paid to Britain totalled £374m, according to LBI. Prior to that payment, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme had reclaimed £3.82bn from the Landsbanki estate.'

As I recall it took years - where are those negotiators now when we need them for Brexit ?

HOLA4417

Having lived in Australia I can only stress how awful the climate is for much of the time.

Hopping from aircon the aircon, while the country gets hotter and hotter each decade no end in sight, animals dying, the reef on its last legs (one of the wonders of the world!), the casual racism, homophobia, climate change denialism, and chest beating alpha-dog masculinity - there’s simply no comparison with the UK. 

As for living somewhere cheap, surrounded by far poorer people - it’s not for me. 

2F7A6453-8E4D-4EBF-B0E8-72780470FA74.jpeg

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 hour ago, MarkG said:

There's still a lot about Britain that I love. The reason I'm so miserable and depressed is because I loathe most of the ways it's changing, but you can't hate what's happening to something if you didn't appreciate it in the first place.

HOLA4420
7 hours ago, Gribble said:

The Icelanders were right. Bail out the bankers and they will just be back in a few years asking for another handout after their next colossal **** up. With house prices on the slide again the UK is about to experience this first hand.

Maybe there's a connection between having a government which doesn't waste resources on bailing out failed businesses and having a high standard of living. Just a thought.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4421
7 hours ago, scottbeard said:

But the truth is when you take the BALANCE of everything added up, Britain is really quite a good place (as long as you're living in the 98% of it that isn't in the middle of an inner city).

Britain is really quite a good place as long as you either bought a house when they were cheap or have a big enough income that it doesn't matter too much. Outside of those groups you will be a second class citizen.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
9 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Britain is really quite a good place as long as you either bought a house when they were cheap or have a big enough income that it doesn't matter too much. Outside of those groups you will be a second class citizen.

When I became a non home owner from 1996 to 2002 I do not recall becoming a second class citizen in any way.  I didn't need or want to borrow money and became unaware of my status if it even was as you describe. That of course may be how some people regarded me.

There was even an advantage in that many sales calls seemed to be aimed at homeowners, not being one made them very easy to get rid of and within a few months they stop calling. There must be a grapevine whereby non owners can be identified and ignored.

Besides, I say you become a second class citizen if you come to regard yourself in that way. Other people's opinions are or should be of no consequence.

Of course the harsh reality remains that if you think you will ever want to own a house you may have to pile in as early in your life as possible as it will only get harder.

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

I say you become a second class citizen if you come to regard yourself in that way. Other people's opinions are or should be of no consequence.

I say you become a second class citizen when somebody has the power to force you to move house at 2 months' notice for no reason. That's how the law is written to allocate power, it isn't a matter of opinion.

You spent 6 years living in the UK private rented sector, which is not long at all. I wonder if you would feel differently if it had been 16 years.

HOLA4425
6 hours ago, MarkG said:

It is fascinating that you can type those two paragraphs without a hint of irony.