House Price Crash Forum
prozac

So many people I know are taking early retirement

I have come across so many people that I know in their mid fifties taking early retirement.

They are putting their house out to rent and going to live in a third world country.

About 4 people from huawei have done this in the past two weeks.

These were South Asians originally, but now even white English members of staff seem to seeing the advantages, one is going to Costa Rico and one of the others Madagascar 

38 minutes ago, prozac said:

I have come across so many people that I know in their mid fifties taking early retirement.

They are putting their house out to rent and going to live in a third world country.

These were South Asians originally, but now even white English members of staff seem to seeing the advantages, one is going to Costa Rico and one of the others Madagascar 

It's because work & workplaces are so disgustingly shite in UK and these people are old enough to remember when work was at least tolerable.

Just now, Cryptotrader said:

It's because work & workplaces are so disgustingly shite in UK and these people are old enough to remember when work was at least tolerable.

What some said was that you could live like a king in a third world country, and as long as you did not sell your house in the UK you had security of an asset in a first world country 

Beer in Costa Rico is 50p and the food is fresh, and you can afford maids to make your life more comfortable, so no cooking or cleaning or ironing 

Strangely the UK is becoming harder and people no longer smile and their is a tension in the air 

I have been doing 3 days a week (as has the wife) for 4 and a half years. We do a lot of dancing and jamming events (long weekends). Once you talk to the 60+ year old's you make sure you enjoy life while you can! Plenty of people I know have been screwed over by strokes, heart attacks, body giving up.

Not sure I would straight out retire in my 50's. Got to sit down, rest, and have a cup of coffee sometime. May as well get paid drinking it, next to a laptop.

But safety and security is better in UK compared to Asia.

In many places on this planet, investment is not safe. You buy a property in Asia and see how long it stays away from being occupied illegally.

UK has certain standards in protecting investments which is why people from all over the globe invest here.

1 hour ago, prozac said:

Huawei is a very large Ponzi schme operated by the Rd Army.

They might be jumping before it blows up.

They cant have much i nthe way of pension, just from Huawei, whove only been in UK for ~15 years.

You need to know if people have a DB or DV pension.

Their ages etc.

And one more thing, at that age, your prime concern is access to healthcare. I wonder how long it will last for them if they have cheap good access in those countries.

54 minutes ago, spyguy said:

They cant have much i nthe way of pension, just from Huawei, whove only been in UK for ~15 years.

Their ages etc.

This is huawei staff in canary wharf, all are ex BT so have something coming from that pension pot

ps huawei reading is toast

Edited by prozac

2 hours ago, prozac said:

Do you work at the said multi product hardware vendor from China?

2 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Do you work at the said multi product hardware vendor from China?

No, my company supplies them with components 

1 hour ago, Simhadri said:

But safety and security is better in UK compared to Asia.

In many places on this planet, investment is not safe. You buy a property in Asia and see how long it stays away from being occupied illegally.

UK has certain standards in protecting investments which is why people from all over the globe invest here.

Do not need to buy abroad.......mid fifties still young, can rent all over the world for very little, if healthy and can sort health insurance why not, go for it.......people rarely regret doing things in life, they regret not doing things...who dares wins.😉

1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Do you mean Reading?

Yes, parts of it are being moved to Ireland, not because of brexit as the Irish are still purchasing from huawei, the Irish secret service does not think the Chinese will spy on them.....

Lol

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Their ages etc.

They could retire to China, they have set up some state run early retirement camps.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/turkey-china-uighurs-muslims-concentration-camps-islam-a8772276.html

Turkey has called on China to close the “concentration camps” where the country has detained more than a million Uighurs Muslims.

I'm sure foreign spies and debt defaulters (anyone with assets outside China) will soon be able to stay for free.

7 minutes ago, winkie said:

Do not need to buy abroad.......mid fifties still young, can rent all over the world for very little, if healthy and can sort health insurance why not, go for it.......people rarely regret doing things in life, they regret not doing things...who dares wins.😉

People justify to themselves their decisions...regardless how terrible the outcome of these decisions they will delude themselves into a state of mind that makes life bearable.

I worked for a leading US soft drink company they didn't really want anyone over 50 so gave me half my salary as a early retirement package for the rest of my life, so took advantage at 52 65 now never looked back :) just a few more months and the state pension will kick in will be drawing similar to if i had stayed working 

8 minutes ago, papag said:

I worked for a leading US soft drink company they didn't really want anyone over 50 so gave me half my salary as a early retirement package for the rest of my life, so took advantage at 52 65 now never looked back :) just a few more months and the state pension will kick in will be drawing similar to if i had stayed working 

Nice :D I retired 8 years before my state pension kicked in but you've got me well beat.

25 minutes ago, Wayward said:

People justify to themselves their decisions...regardless how terrible the outcome of these decisions they will delude themselves into a state of mind that makes life bearable.

......this is not the Brexit thread.😂

6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Nice :D I retired 8 years before my state pension kicked in but you've got me well beat.

Only 8 years....anyone retiring at 55 today would be nearer 12 years before state pension kicked in, that includes free perceptions, travel pass unless live in London everyone get it at 60 there, and all the other benefits tied into being state retired.😉

Why wouldn't you? I'm seriously looking into it myself, though retiring the wilds of Alberta rather than a third-world nation. Once I have enough income from side projects to pay the bills, I'll be building a self-sufficient house and heading off there to live like a fat-cat moving to their bunker in New Zealand.

I just don't see any reason to believe the retirement money people have been promised will still be there in ten or twenty years, and cities look likely to become death zones as jobs are automated away and the welfare state goes bye-bye. There ain't going to be no 'basic income' for the 99% unless the fat-cats decide it's cheaper to pay them than to kill them.

Interesting you say it will be the cities that will take the hardest hit.......swings and roundabouts.

As an independent country again, they were talking about now having to invest more into building up our army, our defence..... perhaps, but I hope not they will bringing back national service......that should keep a few more in work.😉