House Price Crash Forum

Legalise Dope! (for higher house prices!)

HOLA441

Wont be a major thread but amused me - FYI

https://psmag.com/economics/housing-high 

In Colorado, Legal Pot Increases Housing Values - Homeowners are getting high, and so is the value of their residences.

"If you want the value of your house to increase, make sure it's in a neighborhood with desirable features. Good schools. Reliable public transportation. And, of course, easy access to marijuana. A new study reports the legalization of pot in Colorado produced, on average, a 6 percent increase in housing values.

HOLA442

I'm in my 70s and tried it for the first time the other day!

Have lots of older friends doing similar, both for pain relief and pleasure. 

We were obviously all in Amsterdam at the time (*cough cough*). 

It being so freely available in America means me and the missus know plenty with holiday homes and things out there. 

It was... really quite nice. I didn't fly. I'm not savagely addicted. I did enjoy listening to music a bit more later in the evening and not waking up with a hangover was bloody lovely as well. 

It's got to be legalised over here soon surely? 

HOLA443

Every stoner I've met always claims to know loads of people who do it and are wildly successful etc etc

But it's never them

to a man, lazy, easily agitated losers (who think they are laid back and chilled)

HOLA444
8 hours ago, byron78 said:

It being so freely available in America means me and the missus know plenty with holiday homes and things out there. 

It was... really quite nice. I didn't fly. I'm not savagely addicted. I did enjoy listening to music a bit more later in the evening and not waking up with a hangover was bloody lovely as well. 

That's a nasty cough you've got there, I'd give it a miss if I was you. ?

HOLA445

It is a joke it hasn't been legalised. It doesn't make you violent. It's not addictive. It has NO lethal dose. 

If anyone thinks it shouldn't be legalised they should campaign for the scheduling of alcohol, nicotine and caffeine as controlled substances. 

HOLA446

As a normal citizen, how do you get dope? In my youth living in a rough area I used to get it but it meant hanging around with dodgy characters. I am middle class now and no contacts.

I suppose you can't get it on the internet or anything these days can you? 

HOLA447
7 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

As a normal citizen, how do you get dope? In my youth living in a rough area I used to get it but it meant hanging around with dodgy characters. I am middle class now and no contacts.

Grow it yourself. Seeds readily available online. 

It can be difficult to plug into that network because people are weary of trusting those they don't know. 

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I was in a cave about it myself until very recently. 

Turns out a lot of people (some I've known for over 30+ years!) smoke the stuff. All professionals. All very successful. 

I probably shouldn't say this, but one of the older folk in our group is ex (quite high up) in the police. 

Hypocrisy reigns in the UK. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
15 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

As someone who did a fair bit at uni I have mixed feelings over the long-ierm effects. At the end of the day you're messing around with the chemicals in your head. Much like alcohol, don't get tanked every day.

Same, although would extend that to drugs in general. Difficult to draw a line between weed and other in my experience.

(I favour legalisation of all drugs and not necessarily a believer in the 'gateway' thing, but no denying the cumulative effects among my friends/family. Mental health problems, theft and living on the streets, a death/murder)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
16 hours ago, chronyx said:

Every stoner I've met always claims to know loads of people who do it and are wildly successful etc etc

But it's never them

to a man, lazy, easily agitated losers (who think they are laid back and chilled)

+1

HOLA4414
12 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

As someone who did a fair bit at uni I have mixed feelings over the long-ierm effects. At the end of the day you're messing around with the chemicals in your head. Much like alcohol, don't get tanked every day.

Yeah I dabbled a bit and wouldn't exactly call my mental health rock steady now. But then that could also just be a product of circumstances. No identical twin available to compare. Was fun at the time though. Getting lost in a pink floyd album for what felt like a very very long, luxurious time.

HOLA4415

The negative effects of weed are subtle but still life changing. If you smoke regularly then it creates a life of missed opportunities,  you don't update your CV for that job, don't go on that tinder date, etc...you just sit at home playing on your playstation. 10 years of this and your life has gone in a different direction.

HOLA4416

Funny story!

Personally I have smoked it every evening for over 30 years and work as a financial controller and have missed one day of work in the last 15 years. 

Of course it should be legalised. You don't have to smoke it. I bet they are bringing some serious taxes in the those States that have legalised it. And it makes the dealers redundant.

I prefer alcohol but that is much worse for one. Hangovers etc

HOLA4417
On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:41, byron78 said:

Its not illegal in the UK to take drugs. No need to be shy about it. :D

17 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Apparently its rife on the dark web place. No idea myself but I know of friends of friends etc.

15 hours ago, byron78 said:

I was in a cave about it myself until very recently. 

Turns out a lot of people (some I've known for over 30+ years!) smoke the stuff. All professionals. All very successful. 

I probably shouldn't say this, but one of the older folk in our group is ex (quite high up) in the police. 

And here was me thinking all those in offices of high power in the UK were wonderful law abiding citizens. That's now up in smoke. Pardon the pun.

14 hours ago, guest_northshore said:

Same, although would extend that to drugs in general. Difficult to draw a line between weed and other in my experience.

(I favour legalisation of all drugs and not necessarily a believer in the 'gateway' thing, but no denying the cumulative effects among my friends/family. Mental health problems, theft and living on the streets, a death/murder)

There is one gateway drug  - to almost anything and everything you 'shouldn't' be doing. And that's bevvy.

HOLA4418
3 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

The negative effects of weed are subtle but still life changing. If you smoke regularly then it creates a life of missed opportunities,  you don't update your CV for that job, don't go on that tinder date, etc...you just sit at home playing on your playstation. 10 years of this and your life has gone in a different direction.

As a dope-smoker, there's a lot of truth in that. I think there was a pretty good South Park episode which basically ended with "don't do drugs. They probably won't harm you, but they will make you happy with being bored."

That said, I have a pretty good job in IT, write books, raise my kids, and perform and direct in our local am-dram (and occasionally rant on here).

Bottom line, if you want to ****** up your life in a major way, stick to alcohol.

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, ccc said:

There is one gateway drug  - to almost anything and everything you 'shouldn't' be doing. And that's bevvy.

This is so spot on. 

God my generation don't half drink a lot. 

And we're not all pikeys. I'm in a leafy area full of professionals and recently retired professionals round here. 

But all HUGE boozers. 

Many of the silver stoners I know are actually vaping/baking weed to reduce their alcohol dependencies. 

Have to say my life has improved greatly this past year or so. Virtually teetotal and made some wonderful friends. Biggest regret is not having made the swap sooner. 

HOLA4420

I went to rehab for gambling back in the day, a mixed group for all kinds of addictions so I met quite a few potheads there. All shared the same story of how it sneaked up on them, going perfectly unnoticed until some point in their lives where they realized they were still in the same spot as 5 or 10 years prior. Attention issues aplenty, and some struggled with putting together a coherent sentence.

Having said that, they were absolute rock stars compared to most of the life-hardened alcoholics & shooters.

Edited by kibuc

HOLA4421

If you think cannabis is harmless then youve never worked in a prison or a psychiatric ward.

I spent ten years rolling around on the floor with schizophrenics for a living. To a man they were long-term cannabis users.

Maybe that's coincidence. Maybe it wasn't. The longitudinal studies appear to say not.

HOLA4422
On 01/05/2018 at 23:46, byron78 said:

They are not quite as hypocritical as the politicians. Many police forces are not pursuing these "crimes" any more. They still have to investigate if a complaint is made I assume, but they are going much softer on things in the last few years. Arrests/charges have been cut in half in a short space of time, five years or something. And some police forces have come out and said they are simply not pursuing it. Other forces have also given ambiguous answers to the question.

It is so obviously going to be legalised it is not really even a question any more. It just is not going to happen under this conservative government. But under the next non-conservative government, whenever that turns out to be, it will be legalised. From memory, this is also supported by a majority of the electorate.

The real question is will anyone in power in that new government also have the balls to do the correct ... intelligent... thing about psychedelics such as mushrooms, lsd. These are not toxic and not anywhere near as dangerous as tobacco and alcohol. This is just a fact. These psychedelic drugs, that I have honestly never touched, are not anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol or tobacco. They are basically not dangerous when compared to what is legal. This information is out there online from very credible sources, including professor Nutt, ex-government advisor who was fired by Blair/Brown for telling the truth. But not just him, many of his colleagues at University College London, and their peers in the USA.

HOLA4423
On 02/05/2018 at 13:46, honkydonkey said:

B0ll0X, evening smoker for 25 years or more.  If you're lazy by nature then you're lazy no matter what you put in your body.  If you're more of a doer then it won't stop you doing anything, it'll just require more effort to achieve it.  To quote Mr Hicks, "People say that smoking Marijuana makes you lazy.  Smoking Marijuana doesn't make you lazy, it just makes you realise that a lot of the things you were going to do aren't worth the F**kin effort"...I'm creative, I hold down a well-paid job, I own my own house outright, yet I'm a criminal for what I choose to do in my own house and in my own time.  The hypocrisy is the killer...

HOLA4424
16 minutes ago, AdamoMucci said:

It is so obviously going to be legalised it is not really even a question any more. It just is not going to happen under this conservative government. But under the next non-conservative government, whenever that turns out to be, it will be legalised. From memory, this is also supported by a majority of the electorate.

Excellent. Vote Labour for cheaper housing and spark up a Camberwell Carrot to celebrate.

Agree about Professor Nutt as well, what was a disgrace that was.

HOLA4425
5 minutes ago, mspL4 said:

B0ll0X, evening smoker for 25 years or more.  If you're lazy by nature then you're lazy no matter what you put in your body.  If you're more of a doer then it won't stop you doing anything, it'll just require more effort to achieve it.  To quote Mr Hicks, "People say that smoking Marijuana makes you lazy.  Smoking Marijuana doesn't make you lazy, it just makes you realise that a lot of the things you were going to do aren't worth the F**kin effort"...I'm creative, I hold down a well-paid job, I own my own house outright, yet I'm a criminal for what I choose to do in my own house and in my own time.  The hypocrisy is the killer...

I have done weed and believe it should be 100% legal. But I must admit I did not find it conducive to getting things done, but that is not the point. TV is not conducive to getting things done. Alcohol is not either. Weed should so obviously be legal it is ridiculous. When you have religious Republicans getting on the boards of weed companies and saying it needs to be Federally legal, you know the Conservative party here are way behind the times.