House Price Crash Forum

For f**k’s sake don’t solve the housing crisis, say selfish bastards

Spirit

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

LOL so true.

I was in Long Melford last weekend (Suffolk village that has been 'gentrified') and I picked up a copy of their village magazine. I had a quiet bet with myself that first OOB would be opposing any new development.

I turned to page one and laughed out loud because I wasn't disappointed. Straight into it. Apparently the major concern was that three (!) horses that graze the meadow on the edge of the village would lose their right to roam.

...of course the REAL concern is that of Tory voters worrying the value of their stupidly overpriced houses being affected by increased supply.

Like all NIMBYs - it doesn't seem to dawn on them that if people in the past had taken the same view as them, their houses wouldn't exist in the first place - after all, everywhere was once a 'green field'.

What a selfish and petty place post-Thatcher Britain truly is.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

In my neighbourhood even the dead are NIMBYs...development proposed is too close to the cemetery reportedly.

a large proportion of the reporting in the local weekly free paper is on the subject of 'Inappropriate ' development. Its unbearable.

HOLA448
HOLA449
2 hours ago, zilly said:

LOL so true.

I was in Long Melford last weekend (Suffolk village that has been 'gentrified') and I picked up a copy of their village magazine. I had a quiet bet with myself that first OOB would be opposing any new development.

I turned to page one and laughed out loud because I wasn't disappointed. Straight into it. Apparently the major concern was that three (!) horses that graze the meadow on the edge of the village would lose their right to roam.

...of course the REAL concern is that of Tory voters worrying the value of their stupidly overpriced houses being affected by increased supply.

Like all NIMBYs - it doesn't seem to dawn on them that if people in the past had taken the same view as them, their houses wouldn't exist in the first place - after all, everywhere was once a 'green field'.

I just sent a link to my local Green Party councillor after he sent out a newsletter congratulating himself on helping to stop not one but two local housing developments. I have no idea why you think this is a Tory problem. All of the parties champion the NIMBY cause as even a cursory glance at local election literature will tell you.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, dougless said:

There is a village in Suffolk that is fighting more development.  I did laugh at the home made posters when i drove through; they may as well have said 'No Poor People Wanted Here!'.  Got to love a NIMBY.

Sounds like a great opportunity for mischief-making. ;)

HOLA4414
55 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

The only unanswered question remaining is why The Daily Mash is still considered to be satire. It's consistently closer to what's really going on than anything else on Fleet Street.

It is funny but not really accurate, we all know that building a few more overpriced houses wont change anything, stopping the banks from lending at stupidly high multiples will change everything and very quickly.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, dougless said:

There is a village in Suffolk that is fighting more development.  I did laugh at the home made posters when i drove through; they may as well have said 'No Poor People Wanted Here!'.  Got to love a NIMBY.

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/news/hertfordshire-news/new-ware-wine-bar-would-1144494

New Ware wine bar 'would lead to more graveyard sex', residents warn

A resident also told how women 'roll in their wee' after drinking at existing bars

Councillor Stephen Reed — who is also a district councillor — said he feared a new wine bar could potentially attract people from Enfield.

Edited by Si1

HOLA4416
17 hours ago, zilly said:

How do you know that they were Tories?  My parents hate the Tories but are NIMBIES.

HOLA4417

I wrote to my local councillor along the following lines..

"I am in receipt of your newsletter as above and was disappointed to see that the frustration of housing provision is celebrated under the heading of ‘Good News’.  I would argue that 365 families having their dream of a home of their own dashed is not ‘Good News’.

May I refer you to the attached old Conservative Party posters that celebrated housing provision.  These posters from a more enlightened time are in stark contrast to the approached adopted today by the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats.  These posters are from a time when the need for housing was recognised and acted upon and homes provided such as your home.

I would urge you to reflect upon this and reflect upon the needs of the whole community and not only the needs of the home owning wealthy."

Of course I received a dismissive reply - selfish *******

housing poster.png

HOLA4418
4 hours ago, Shrink Proof said:

The only unanswered question remaining is why The Daily Mash is still considered to be satire. It's consistently closer to what's really going on than anything else on Fleet Street.

I think that's right...this is reporting in fact not satire.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
29 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I wrote to my local councillor along the following lines..

"I am in receipt of your newsletter as above and was disappointed to see that the frustration of housing provision is celebrated under the heading of ‘Good News’.  I would argue that 365 families having their dream of a home of their own dashed is not ‘Good News’.

May I refer you to the attached old Conservative Party posters that celebrated housing provision.  These posters from a more enlightened time are in stark contrast to the approached adopted today by the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats.  These posters are from a time when the need for housing was recognised and acted upon and homes provided such as your home.

I would urge you to reflect upon this and reflect upon the needs of the whole community and not only the needs of the home owning wealthy."

Of course I received a dismissive reply - selfish *******

housing poster.png

the lib dems have been up to this sh1te too?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
9 hours ago, Si1 said:

the lib dems have been up to this sh1te too?

I think you'll find that all politicians are NIMBYs at a local, council-election level. It's disgusting, sycophantic vote-seeking. In fairness, after berating my local Green Party councillor, he did concede that he was not against *all* housebuilding; he didn't mind it on brownfield sites.... Sadly, there aren't many of those in semi-rural North Yorkshire and those that exist would be better put to use providing gainful employment :-/

HOLA4425
20 hours ago, Shrink Proof said:

This is a local shop for local people. There's nothing for you here.

They might as well put that under the "Welcome to Ware" sign as you enter it.  Atrocious place.  "People from Enfield" as the ultimate horror made me laugh out loud.  That article is so deliciously Ware, it's an irony-free zone out there, impossible to parody.