House Price Crash Forum

Theresa May trapped: Can't do what she needs to do to get the youth on side, so fiddles around the edges.

reddog

HOLA441
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 01/10/2017 at 10:25 AM, Arpeggio said:

I think OU is already higher standard than normal uni. Last time I looked the threshold for a 1st was a higher % too.

I dropped out of my degree and never got it. Was a stupid mistake to go in the first place in hindsight. I make £25 an hour in a job I now enjoy after years of experience, therefore very competent so less stressful. If I was young now I'd probably study nutrition with OU or similar and look to get into the alternate medicine industry, which has been and is steadily growing. I don't work in medicine at all but am getting into rife machines at the moment, which so far seem to work weirdly. Generally if the inventor, such as Tesla, was sh*t on by VIs, is one indicator of credibility to me.

According to someone who worked in the NHS 1980s to the 2000s, a lot of managers were brought in (under B-Liar) simply because they had a degree. No medical experience, experience of working in medicine or for the NHS and it just got worse and worse.

Alternative medicine in the OU? Like homeopathy?

Is the ou nutrition as "advanced" as the NHS advice that is at least 20 years out of date?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
5 hours ago, Bsmf said:

Alternative medicine in the OU? Like homeopathy?

Is the ou nutrition as "advanced" as the NHS advice that is at least 20 years out of date?

I don't know much about homeopathy. From what I recall it can use a similar amount of parts per million as successful peanut allergy treatment so I'm open minded.

I know NHS nutrition is out of date. On a positive side Institute of Optimum Nutrition and Patrick Holford would be names to note. https://www.ion.ac.uk/

HOLA446
20 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

I don't know much about homeopathy. From what I recall it can use a similar amount of parts per million as successful peanut allergy treatment so I'm open minded.

I know NHS nutrition is out of date. On a positive side Institute of Optimum Nutrition and Patrick Holford would be names to note. https://www.ion.ac.uk/

I think a good slice of woo would do you good.

HOLA447
On 10/1/2017 at 11:16 AM, mattyboy1973 said:

The problem for the Tories is that are also seen as responsible for Brexit, especially amongst the young. The Tories are screwed because they can't do what needs to be done to help the young without alienating their existing boomer base, and they are never going to sway enough young voters to be able to win without their old base on board. As others have noted on this thread (and elsewhere), the big, big ****-up that the Tories made was trying to (and succeeding at) propping up the housing market post GFC. I agree that this really could become an existential crisis for them.

It's really karma. Tragic, and painful but so sweet. And all because they bet that continuing house price growth was the way to go. People feel good,spend more feel richer and vote centrist.

Only, they never thought far ahead and now they've left Theresa with Brexit and housing. I genuinely feel sorry for her. I can't wait for Boris to be elected next Tory leader and try to meme himself into Number 10. 

4439-26d0b0.gif

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
12 hours ago, Tapori said:

It's really karma. Tragic, and painful but so sweet. And all because they bet that continuing house price growth was the way to go. People feel good,spend more feel richer and vote centrist.

Surely if it were Karma Labour would be screwed too and a new party - without responsibility for making houses expensive would be successful.

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

Surely if it were Karma Labour would be screwed too and a new party - without responsibility for making houses expensive would be successful.

That's essentially what we've got - or didn't you notice the 'old' PLP kicking and screaming and throwing their toys out of the pram?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
23 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

That's essentially what we've got - or didn't you notice the 'old' PLP kicking and screaming and throwing their toys out of the pram?

I saw Prescott - the house destroyer - praising Corbyn on a video it is not a new party.

(John Prescott spent money knocking down homes during a housing crisis, I guess he was worried that somewhere in the UK houses might be affordable and he wanted to stop that)

http://moneyweek.com/how-john-prescott-wasted-22bn/

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4414

I think some of you are missing the point with universities.

We let qualified but often pretty mediocre foreign workers into the UK from outside the EU (and grads remain here) because they have STEM degrees.

India has a production line export industry of STEM grads.

Make a decent proportion of those degrees subject to a grant and fee free for British kids, and get a real element of competition amongst the smart kids for those places.

There seems to be a permanent shortage of doctors in the NHS requiring import, yet there's a job we could be training British people to do. It's a well paid job, the fact we have a shortage of grads simply means we haven't got the incentives to pursue it right?

HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, disenfranchised said:

We let qualified but often pretty mediocre foreign workers into the UK from outside the EU (and grads remain here) because they have STEM degrees.

Make a decent proportion of those degrees subject to a grant and fee free for British kids, and get a real element of competition amongst the smart kids for those places.

There seems to be a permanent shortage of doctors in the NHS requiring import, yet there's a job we could be training British people to do. It's a well paid job, the fact we have a shortage of grads simply means we haven't got the incentives to pursue it right?

We have a shortage of doctors, not because bright British students don't want to do it but because there are not enough places for them.  We could easily train more but we don't.  Whether this is because of the BMA or something else I don't know.

HOLA4416
20 minutes ago, disenfranchised said:

You could put it that way if by 'incentives' you mean an open position. I learned a long time ago that 'shortage' and willingness to employ are two different things. Usually, the people reporting the shortage are not the one's in charge of recruitment and budgets etc.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Unless BoJo gets enough MPs support for his leadership bid with Murdoch's press behind him,

May can whistle along till 2018 Christmas no matter how many times ministers dig dirt about each other.

Osborne must be angry as his career was put to premature end by May.

He assumed as next crowning prince of tory party after Camie.

HOLA4419
23 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

I can't see May lasting very long at all. 

.....not that different to a manager of a football team.......

I can't see how a party can change that much by just changing the figurehead, it is what lies behind it, the players that count.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

We have a shortage of doctors, not because bright British students don't want to do it but because there are not enough places for them.  We could easily train more but we don't.  Whether this is because of the BMA or something else I don't know.

I'm a doctor.

There's four main drivers:

1) There isn't the training capacity - there have already been a huge expansion of med school places churning out substandard medial graduates over the past 15 years. You can train more but they will be of an even lower standard

2) The workforce has been feminised - most graduates are now female and most of them have long career breaks for pregnancy/family/part time working which has created huge rota gaps

3) Pay and conditions have massively deteriorated over the past decade and tuition fees and 6% student loans introduced so it's hard to attract kids to uni in order to graduate with 100k debt with further decades of nights on calls and exams for relatively little pay. This is set to worsen.

4) As junior doctors have been screwed over they have increasingly left for foreign countries or different careers entirely. I know a lot of juniors who have gone to work for pharma or management consulting firms

HOLA4421
55 minutes ago, Jeremy424 said:

You could put it that way if by 'incentives' you mean an open position. I learned a long time ago that 'shortage' and willingness to employ are two different things. Usually, the people reporting the shortage are not the one's in charge of recruitment and budgets etc.

You've hit the nail on the head. The shortages in nursing, teaching etc., are a deliberate policy to allow the likes of Ashcroft to make loads of money out of providing agency staff to meet the shortages. Why do you think they donate to the TM's campaign fund? See Private Eye for details.

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, disenfranchised said:

The UK is a parasitical state sucking doctors and other talented and highly trained workers out of countries that can least afford to lose them.  Many politicians are actually proud to promote this shameful approach.

HOLA4423
13 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

They've elected Corbyn against all the mandelson machinery and press.

What better riposte to the New-Blairite neo-liberal centrists.

HOLA4424
11 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Well Medicine is filled with middle-class private school kids and increasingly more and more international students .

HOLA4425
11 hours ago, Tapori said:

They've elected Corbyn against all the mandelson machinery and press.

What better riposte to the New-Blairite neo-liberal centrists.

I said earlier

"

I saw Prescott - the house destroyer - praising Corbyn on a video it is not a new party.

(John Prescott spent money knocking down homes during a housing crisis, I guess he was worried that somewhere in the UK houses might be affordable and he wanted to stop that)

http://moneyweek.com/how-john-prescott-wasted-22bn/

"