House Price Crash Forum

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

HOLA441
5 hours ago, shlomo said:

Do you think student funding will be removed or changed 

The pitch ofr the vast increase in HE was that theyd make us loads of money.

The pitch failed in practise.

here you go, your pension relies of fkwits liek this - 

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/nov/25/largest-debt-amassed-by-student-in-england-is-189700

3024.jpg?width=620&dpr=2&s=none

Their experience is echoed by Craig Rossiter, who sent the FOI request to the SLC after wondering whether, at £61,000, his debt might be the largest in the UK. Rossiter dropped out of five university degrees, initially due to his struggles with depression and drug abuse, and later after having a baby meant he needed to secure a full-time job.

Rossiter sees his “debt as a graduate tax that will be with me for ever”, and is especially worried about how changes to the repayment term could impose “a huge extra cost” he will struggle to meet.

Rossiter thinks the high debt burden especially penalises those who struggle most at university. “There are things I did wrong but people from a working class background like myself and who go to the schools I went to aren’t as prepared,” he said.

In its current form, its really not worth UKGOV time sending women into HE.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jun/10/increasing-student-loan-repayments-would-save-government-4bn-a-year

Theres a chart ehich shows females paying of student loans at half the rate of males.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
6 hours ago, spyguy said:

Theres a chart ehich shows females paying of student loans at half the rate of males.

I am sure there is a chart that shows mostly females are having babies 

HOLA443
9 hours ago, shlomo said:

I am sure there is a chart that shows mostly females are having babies 

No.

That would show a 10%dip - starts work, have a 2-5y out to have kids, back to work.

That shows most female graduates not really entering the world of medium to high paid FT work.

HOLA444
4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No.

That would show a 10%dip - starts work, have a 2-5y out to have kids, back to work.

That shows most female graduates not really entering the world of medium to high paid FT work.

Maybe the number one reason to go to university is to find a husband, well that is what Boris said 

HOLA445

I'm sure it could be explained by the courses they're doing. A civil engineering degree from a crap uni, will likely still lead to a decent paid job for most. A Psychology degree from a mid, or even good uni is not going to set you up for anything

HOLA446
22 hours ago, shlomo said:

Britain is considering cracking down on foreign research funding amid concern its universities are being left open to Chinese and other overseas influence.

Most "research" these days is not just incorrect - it is outright fraud, especially so when Chinese are involved.

HOLA447
2 hours ago, shlomo said:

Maybe the number one reason to go to university is to find a husband, well that is what Boris said 

Just make the student bars open to students and all females ages 18 to 24

1 hour ago, cbathpc said:

I'm sure it could be explained by the courses they're doing. A civil engineering degree from a crap uni, will likely still lead to a decent paid job for most. A Psychology degree from a mid, or even good uni is not going to set you up for anything

Why on Earth should people be taxed to pay for the latter type of degree?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 hour ago, lie to bet said:

I don't understand why he would think 61k would be the largest debt in the country.

3 years at 9250 + 13022

=66,816 plus interest.

Assuming it is only a 3 year degree course.

He dropped out if five degrees. This explains it.

HOLA4412
36 minutes ago, MancTom said:

He dropped out if five degrees. This explains it.

It shouldn't be that big a deal for him as he'll unlikely break far into the student loan repaying band with that background.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 22/04/2024 at 07:14, shlomo said:

Theres an Oxbridge grad who lives down the road from my mum.

Shes been a  PT barmaid since leaving ~10y ago.

I think what tends to happen is that females go into HE and usually go home rather  going to where the jobs are.

If female grads do move away they tend to go to London, where they end up doing some low end jobs, then jack it in and come home after ~5y, usually training to be teachers, which they then leave after ~5y to have kids.

Theres far far more in those numbers, beyond having kids.

Theres a notable  number of pro Single mothers who sing on the Access to HE, then go on and do a nursing degree ove, just to avoid the work element of UC.

Im not sure what number actual go on to work as a Nurse. Id doubt its more than 30%

HOLA4415
10 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Theres an Oxbridge grad who lives down the road from my mum.

Shes been a  PT barmaid since leaving ~10y ago.

I think what tends to happen is that females go into HE and usually go home rather  going to where the jobs are.

If female grads do move away they tend to go to London, where they end up doing some low end jobs, then jack it in and come home after ~5y, usually training to be teachers, which they then leave after ~5y to have kids.

Theres far far more in those numbers, beyond having kids.

Theres a notable  number of pro Single mothers who sing on the Access to HE, then go on and do a nursing degree ove, just to avoid the work element of UC.

Im not sure what number actual go on to work as a Nurse. Id doubt its more than 30%

I guess education does not guarantee a good job, you get more value if you network 

HOLA4416
14 hours ago, Si1 said:

Screenshot_20240422-183656-708.thumb.png.3bb5c3e4e29d63ae02618f93f639b6b3.png

What advice does he expect there to be for someone leaving academia?

I have a feeling theyve been cossetted for for long.

The real world is a hard, mean place.

HOLA4417
35 minutes ago, spyguy said:

What advice does he expect there to be for someone leaving academia?

well in my field we organise people from typical non-academic employers to come and talk to junior staff about how they can get into other careers because we care about people. I guess they agree because they want to hire people from our field so helping them learn what to do is in their interests. But no, they are not entitled to it. But given academia relies on young people in fixed term contracts to do most of the research it's sensible to treat them well so you don't get a reputation as a dead end to avoid career wise.

HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, MancTom said:

well in my field we organise people from typical non-academic employers to come and talk to junior staff about how they can get into other careers because we care about people. I guess they agree because they want to hire people from our field so helping them learn what to do is in their interests. But no, they are not entitled to it. But given academia relies on young people in fixed term contracts to do most of the research it's sensible to treat them well so you don't get a reputation as a dead end to avoid career wise.

It's possibly different between a technical field with hard profitable applications and a woolly social sciences field...?

HOLA4419

The University of Huddersfield plans to make 12% of its staff compulsory redundant by the end of August:

University of Huddersfield to cut 200 jobs and axe courses - BBC News

They've been criticised for spending tens of millions on new buildings like this one while cutting staff:

A629 - Google Maps

This is on a main road and the ground floor is disused - essentially boarded up with partitions. A great advert for the university. 

And this one. This new building I've heard is largely unusable as a teaching space, consisting of one huge vaulted open space with rooms that are too small leading off it off multiple floors. 

Barbara Hepworth Building - University of Huddersfield

I wonder if their business management and architecture departments have a good reputation?

HOLA4420
16 minutes ago, Unsafe As Houses said:

The University of Huddersfield plans to make 12% of its staff compulsory redundant by the end of August:

They've been criticised for spending tens of millions on new buildings like this one while cutting staff:

A629 - Google Maps

This is on a main road and the ground floor is disused - essentially boarded up with partitions. A great advert for the university. 

And this one. This new building I've heard is largely unusable as a teaching space, consisting of one huge vaulted open space with rooms that are too small leading off it off multiple floors. 

I wonder if their business management and architecture departments have a good reputation?

There has been a huge building spree in U.K. universities. Mostly on borrowed money. I hear many stories about unfit for purpose buildings. I know a very senior academic from Huddersfield who has just retired to Spain “before the shit hits the fan” he messaged me. I might catch up with him one day to see if he feels any responsibility for this shit.

But the comedy gold award must go to the university of Chester who spent £28m on a new campus only to be told by health and safety it was unusable as being adjacent to one of europes biggest oil refinery’s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-55363076.amp

apparently they thought students counted as employees

either stupid or criminal.

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4421

University shouldn't just be a way to get a certain certificate to a higher paid job....... studying should be something to enjoy doing young or older, many mature students entering who went straight out into work at 16 from school now going to uni for first time, then there is the U3A.......some people are doing things back to front.;)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
On 4/27/2024 at 9:07 AM, Unsafe As Houses said:

A629 - Google Maps

From the article 

The university said it was facing a budget deficit in 2023-24, which had been "further exacerbated" by a decline in international students - something it blamed on a change in government policy.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
16 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Good link. I don't understand why UK universities are in such a financial mess. I can see why some courses like medicine might be loss making but student/staff ratios for newer universities doubled to 17 between 2014 and 2021. Students are paying £9k p.a. and much more for foreign students. Most companies in the true private sector would love numbers like that. 

https://www.fenews.co.uk/education/universities-see-student-staff-ratios-double-amid-employee-exodus/