House Price Crash Forum

Fast Crash Or Slow Crash - Poll

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

50% fast, the rest over ten years or more.

Half of both those numbers. But possibly the same anticipated end result :)

A crash is no longer enough IMHO though.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

20% fall in house prices from f1ck-off unaffordable to f1cking unaffordable. This "crash" will be described as the "Great Property Crash". Tons of new props put in place, then prices rising again.

Things have gotten so bad, a crash is simply regulating the economy for the Haves, while confirming to the Have Nots they are also Never Will Haves.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

My part of the world has been crashing slowly for a decade in real terms and very very very slowly in nominal terms (bottom end is starting to accelerated due to BTL selling up)

I expect it to continue at that rate baring an "event" that leads to tighter lending for the next 4-5 years ,once the minimum wage hits the quoted £9.20phr £39k pa combined, for a couple working full time NMW jobs even today's price the typical FTB place will be well in reach ...like always that`s just my guess

Other parts of the country is anyone's guess

Edited by long time lurking

HOLA4417

I think there will be an almighty crash initially in London and the SE and thereafter a slow grind down over several years. By almighty I mean drops of 20 - 40% over about 8 months. Remember 2008. My house "lost" 21K (£185K - £164K) in less than 1 year. I know cos that's what I bought and sold it for so the loss was crystallized. Luckily the house I purchased fell by the same amount so I didn't really "lose". This was in a "normal" (propertywise) area in the SW. I bought in 07/06 and sold in 12/08 but the price was initially stable and actually rose a little during the first year to 18mths.

It'll be much more pronounced this time as they've used up all the props and the world economy is teetering. :)

HOLA4418

I think there will be an almighty crash initially in London and the SE and thereafter a slow grind down over several years. By almighty I mean drops of 20 - 40% over about 8 months. Remember 2008. My house "lost" 21K (£185K - £164K) in less than 1 year. I know cos that's what I bought and sold it for so the loss was crystallized. Luckily the house I purchased fell by the same amount so I didn't really "lose". This was in a "normal" (propertywise) area in the SW. I bought in 07/06 and sold in 12/08 but the price was initially stable and actually rose a little during the first year to 18mths.

It'll be much more pronounced this time as they've used up all the props and the world economy is teetering. :)

Last time everybody and their butler piled into Lonfon property 'gold' - eventually rippling out - as the world crunched and sank. A domestic crisis to an excessively toppy market while the rest of the world is relatively stable would be way more devastating, whatever the props.

That would be a real crash.

HOLA4419

I personally think there will be a panic at first, lots of people in debt or investors trying to exit. All sorts of media lies to persuade everyone that its fine but the UK is full of panicky idiots who will try to do a runner.

Then a long slow grind to zero as the country goes bankrupt and realizes you cant have an economy built on lattes,BTL and dog grooming. The Uk becomes mostly owned by foreign corporations carved up by debtors.

Then ultimately I get a job as a hired goon for a fat chinese master who traverses around in an elevated chair and I have to whip poor people who get in his way. At this point the price of a house will be irrelevant and the Uk will look like something out of planet of the apes.

HOLA4420

Crash where exactly? Northern Ireland and the North east, for example, have arguably been in a crash for nearly a decade.

More affluent areas have just had a wobble but given that Remain looks highly likely to win the referendum my personal view is that the south east, home countries and the more affluent, commutery bits of the south west and the midlands will see a bit of a bounce back following the inevitable 'house prices soar as uk backs remain' headlines.

Must slow down as landlords get their 2016/17 tax bills though but any drops there will be swallowed up in the short term by the inevitable credit boom as ftbs race to buy the old BTL property.

Not sure now that the great crash envisaged as a result of the btl changes will ever really materialise now. Can see the market stagnating over a long period as wages catch up though.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The correction in some parts of the country needs 100ks. A massive "wealth" reduction I really can't see any politician wanting that loss of wealth in their watch. Stagnation is the ideal.

That requires inflation which central banks have been trying to create for the last 7 years without success. At some point soon the can will reach the end of the road and there will be nothing left for the central banks to do except watch....

HOLA4425